Disc Grinder Build

I'm looking to build my own disc grinder. I have a vfd I can use that's running my pheer 454 with 1 1/2hp motor. I'm looking for 1hp motor with 56c face plate so i can but the beaumont attachment. There so many to chose from it's confusing. I know it needs to be 3 phase also. Can you guys recommend a motor brand and model number? Thanks.

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

I just bought one off the big auction site brand new TEFC invertor rated 1hp for $145, received in a few days. It's not name brand but I don't expect to being using it full hilt 100% capacity either. I suspect it will do everything I need and then some.

Any brand of 1 hp, 220 volt, 3 phase motor that is rated for 1725 rpm will do. I use to think I needed Baldor or Leeson motors for everything but experience has taught me differently especially for a disc grinder. I bought a motor off the internet on sale for about $135 incl shipping about 6 years ago and worked it nearly every day since. Larry

xVhXapOm.jpg

I was worried about getting vibration out of the cheaper motors. I will take a look at some of the cheaper ones now.

I'd be a lot more worried about a disc out of balance than the vibration from the motor.
Ken.

I was worried about getting vibration out of the cheaper motors. I will take a look at some of the cheaper ones now.

CDREW, I am not an expert on motors by any means but I am a serious knife maker and have built a couple grinders and I have had good luck with the "blue motors" that were made in China and like them better than the 2 hp Leeson I last bought. I should add that I recommend you buy a motor with a 5/8ths inch shaft which will accommodate most discs. The "no name" motor in the photo I posted has performed flawlessly. Maybe just buy from a source that you can return the motor if it has a flaw like runout on the shaft which would cause vibration but I don't think you will encounter this problem anyway.... but you know about "Murphys Law; any thing that can go wrong will go wrong". I just don't see that spending a ton of money will get you a better disc grinder motor. Use the savings to buy the rather expensive but excellent Beaumont work rest table( and excellent KBAC drive). It's just my opinion. Other guys may differ. Good luck. Larry

I found the blue one on amazon for 169 shipped so I will order that one pretty soon. I also have the KBAC vfd running my 2x72. So I'm going run them both with that. I just need to buy a reversing switch. I also plan to by the beaumont flat disc and work rest. Does that sound OK for a setup?

If you are ordering the motor from amazon go ahead and order the reverse switch from there too. That's where I got mine. It's like $20 including shipping and it come directly from KB electroincs. Sounds like a great setup!

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Thanks. I found the switch on amazon so I'll pick that up too.

If you want the best get a Rod Neilsen magnetic hub with discs all balanced and ready to go. One grit of sandpaper for one disc. You replace sandpaper as you go not because you need to change grit size. You are able to change discs in 15 seconds or so. It is very versatile I've even finished all of the outside of folders with it by the use of a flexible pad between the disc and sandpaper.
Frank

I found the blue one on amazon for 169 shipped so I will order that one pretty soon. I also have the KBAC vfd running my 2x72. So I'm going run them both with that. I just need to buy a reversing switch. I also plan to by the beaumont flat disc and work rest. Does that sound OK for a setup?

CDREW, I almost forgot to recommend that your motor be a TEFC motor (totally enclosed fan cooled) and have a mounting foot as well as a 56-c face mount. Larry PS Here's a photo of a TEFC motor with both mounts. This one is 1.5 hp but I show it just as an example. LL

q9Dd3uzm.jpg

Back