Discontinued Becker knives

Which one do you think should be brought back?

• BK1 Brute

Votes: 13 10.9%
  • BK4 Machax

Votes: 16 13.4%
  • BK5 Magnum Camp

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • BK6 Patrol Machete

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • BK12 Doug Ritter

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • BK20 Bundock Bowie

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • BK29 Moses Bowie

Votes: 18 15.1%
  • BK3 Tac Tool

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • BK15

Votes: 46 38.7%
  • BK17

Votes: 20 16.8%

• Total voters
That is likely the case for the models in recent production...but it's been, what, 20(+) years since the BK1 and BK6 were made, and they - as well as the BK12 - were never made by Kabar.
Since the "BK12" was actually Doug Ritter's collaboration with Ethan, we might as well say @Critter. (Though, let's be realistic, 7 votes in this poll isn't going to convince him to do another run of the RSK Mk2 Perseverance if he isn't already leaning in that direction)

Last edited:
It’s strange how things don’t sell well so they get discontinued then there is a feeding frenzy for the ones that are out there. It’s almost like people dont want them till they can’t have one.

My first Becker was a Camillus that I bought specifically because Camillus was going away and the future of BKT was questionable.

Seems like short runs of knives sell well then the manufacturer can participate in the frenzy.

Beckers seem especially suited to this because they all use the same handles and hardware. One half of the knife is already programmed into the water jet. Just alter the blade shapes.

Id like to see a yearly model. “This years limited edition Becker is a cleaver.”

Its hard to say which i would choose as i havent used most of the discontinued models. The 20 might be the becker i need but the 6 is what i want (based only on looks). That 6 is sexy. I say every year they do a limited run of a different discontinued knife.

Id really like them to do a cleaver. Of any blade style that i could imagine ethan doing, it would be something for the kitchen. So, cleaver is it.

That is likely the case for the models in recent production...but it's been, what, 20(+) years since the BK1 and BK6 were made, and they - as well as the BK12 - were never made by Kabar.
Since the "BK12" was actually Doug Ritter's collaboration with Ethan, we might as well say @Critter. (Though, let's be realistic, 7 votes in this poll isn't going to convince him to do another run of the RSK Mk2 Perseverance if he isn't already leaning in that direction)

sprint runs, made by rowen iirc, other than the supply of handles, completely independent of camillus / kabar afaik, and after market handles can be a thing. good knife. trying to recall if i had a user now.

I just got my hands on my last holy grail becker a BK6 Patrol Machete. While I haven't had a chance to really put it to work I have played with it enough to make it my official Christmas wish that all Becker Heads new and old wake up Christmas morning with a BK6 in their stocking...

I agree that discontinuing a Becker knife brings out demand.

Two of my favorites are the BK15, which everyone seems to want now that they are no longer in production and the BK5 which is a turkey carvin' watermelon slicin' camp foot prep tool no one should be without. It seems like trailing points don't sell very well despite the fact that the work very well.

Then there's the BK18, which is like a trailing point - but without looking like a trailing point; almost like the BK15 and BK17 got together and made a baby!

I dont think its that people dont want them when they are available. I think its just that theres no urgency in getting it until its gone. Id like to get a bk16 but i have similar enough knives that i dont have much a reason to go out and get today. I think to myself, ill get around to picking one up sooner or later. If kabar came on here and said they will be discontinued at the start of 2021, i would be running to get one though.

I agree that discontinuing a Becker knife brings out demand.

Two of my favorites are the BK15, which everyone seems to want now that they are no longer in production and the BK5 which is a turkey carvin' watermelon slicin' camp foot prep tool no one should be without. It seems like trailing points don't sell very well despite the fact that the work very well.

Then there's the BK18, which is like a trailing point - but without looking like a trailing point; almost like the BK15 and BK17 got together and made a baby!
A word of caution on the 6, it’s not meant to do the very difficult jobs. Save those for the 9, 20, 21, and 29. I once had the 6 flex on me while pulling it out of a log and I was pretty sure I bent it (thankfully not the case). As @Tanker 1/66 has pointed out, “patrol = light duty”.

I would like a bk12. I've been very pleased with my bk2, bk10, and now bk7 (which helped me chop a tree branch into manageable size the other day!) and would love to add a 12 to the collection.

I also don't recommend batonning with the 6. I did a few times when I first got it, but decided it wasn't a good idea.

It’s strange how things don’t sell well so they get discontinued then there is a feeding frenzy for the ones that are out there. It’s almost like people dont want them till they can’t have one.

Commonly referred to as FOMO, fear of missing out. Kind of an interesting glance into human behavior.

I never did get a BK5, but damn that's one sweet Becker.

A word of caution on the 6, it’s not meant to do the very difficult jobs. Save those for the 9, 20, 21, and 29. I once had the 6 flex on me while pulling it out of a log and I was pretty sure I bent it (thankfully not the case). As @Tanker 1/66 has pointed out, “patrol = light duty”.
If you want a heavy duty 14" bladed kabar thick machete, get a Johnson Adventure Parangatang.
It bites so deep. I've got a BK6 that I retired after I heard Ethan talking about how they would break and where they would break. I leave it to my boy, he can break it.

If you want a heavy duty 14" bladed kabar thick machete, get a Johnson Adventure Parangatang.
It bites so deep. I've got a BK6 that I retired after I heard Ethan talking about how they would break and where they would break. I leave it to my boy, he can break it.
Thanks for the heads-up. I have a 20, 21 and 29 for heavy use. My go to big blade for "unsupervised tasks" is a Parangatang with a Correct Handle update.

I recall seeing the parangatang listed between $40-$50 at one point. Shoulda grabbed one back then. It makes it seem like overpaying at the current listed prices.

I just noticed a couple of 12’s sitting in the exchange.

Back