Discussions & Knife Giveaway

Hi folks,

Just cruisin thru while continuing my education on blades and such. I'm probably what would be considered prime for AKTI membership. I'm a regular knife user, buyer, and believer in having the right tools for the job at hand, whatever the task. Why am I not a member yet ? Good question ? Have to think about it myself. Am I active otherwise, yes. NRA/yes, GSSF/yes, USPSA/yes, vote/yes, local clubs/yes, so why not akti. No GOOD reason...and thats probably IT as far as I can tell. Feeling a bit like a slackard on this end as I write this, maybe I should do a bit of investigation on what its all about. As far as the membership ?? that's posed in these posts I believe that if I haven't gotten the word....for whatever reason...makes me consider that sufficient exposure is still your task at hand. I have other thoughts as well but will not speak till I know more. I've taken enough of your time with this post, but felt I'd share my thoughts, hope its of some use.

------------------
Only perfect practice makes perfect

One good thing I noticed is the "On Line" application on the website. I just joined up, because it was so easy. I must have printed up the old form four times and never got around to sending it in. I see the on-line form, and I am a member two minutes later.

I think that the best way to promote knife use is a knife giveaway - give a knife to a friend or relative. In the last year I gave both my brothers quality folders, and a slew of SAK's to friends and co-workers. I plan on sending a Boye Colbalt folder to my cousin the surf nut (he has no brothers of his own, so he is very close to the three of us and I don't want him to feel left out).

I just picked up a dozen SAK Soldiers for a great price and plan on putting them in the glove compartments of all my relatives cars at our next family get together. I have found that once you have had a good, convenient knife at your disposal for a while, there is no going back.

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

[This message has been edited by stjames (edited 01-26-2000).]

As far as a good "one liner" (RE: Sal Glesser's post) for the cause, I think Spyderco came up with a good one. "All God's critters have knives." I don't know whether that is copyrighted or not, but something similar wouldn't be a bad idea.

As far as becoming a member, Where's the online sign-up form? It's much easier to sign up if all you have to do is enter your CC number. I too have had a copy of the form sitting around for quite some time. I think we need more exposure to let people know that it's out there (AKTI). I have to say, it was a brilliant idea to include TOOL in the title. We may just want to remove the "KNIFE" part and say "BLADED TOOLS" to make it clear what we believe. My $.02.

Daniel D.

I think the automatic idea would be a good reason for people to join.

Because maybe one of these days people that are joined into the right knife "club" will be able to carry automatics.....

Also with all this talk going around about knives in schools and other talk it might be right to discuss the option of having the privalege of carrying a knife around because you know the safety and have proven yourself to the AMERICAN KNIFE AND TOOL INSTITUTE...

just a thought..

Also I think maybe a lifetime membership should be available to those that dont want to put up with constant renewing of their membershi[ card and I know this feature will definitely get peoples attetion.

It was the first thing I looked for when I went to your sitew orw sa your adds in knife magazines. I kno wthis may be difficult but it may happen in the future. Just something to think about.

Also I think it ould grab peoplews attewntion more if you, say join up ith another company like so that henever they buy a knife from like Benchmade have the box it comes in, include like a brochure for your company. Do this to get the ord out about your company because I kno I didnt here about it until recently, even though I oned several knives. So maybe getting sponsorship from a company to help you guys "SPREAD THE ORD" about your company...

Or if its money you are looking for then maybe you could give more benfits to those that buy a better membership. Like give them more things more often, or a special access spot on your ebsite, or hatever you can think of.....

.....THIS SUX MY -- \/\/ -- button doesnt ork.

see i cant type anything ith that button

hatever
hen
here
ho
hat
hy

see,oh ell try these ideas...

Also if you had like a special edition knife that only members could buy.

Like get a company to sponsor a knife, like BLADE magazine does ith the Spyderco Q knife or the Ken Orion BLACK OUT knife, do this and then on the knife get them to etch "AKTI" on the knife or anything else...

And make this available to those that are members of your company.
Example.. You have a special edition Microtech Knife for say $50, and then people then could sign up to be a member and then buy the knife..

So in a sense the knife becomes a collectiple to some???

Just a thought though..

Also you could explain in all your ads the benefits you get off of joining like in your ads state the benefits and stuff youll get off joining also say maybe something that is eye catching to people, like in bold letters say DO YOU HAVE KNIFE RIGHTS or DO YOU ANT TO KEEP YOUR KNIVES or something to that extent..

[This message has been edited by MICKEY77 (edited 01-31-2000).]

Or you could go televised because I ahev seen ads on TV before about gun rights and suff maybe hen you get enough money raised you can start to get televised and just as a little joke you could have like a little theme song
tongue.gif

Also you could maybe try and add more color to your advertisements, not trying to be gay here, but something that is more catching to the eye instead of just being plain, Im not trying to bash your advertisement you have right no but maybe you could modify it so that it has more appealing parts to it..

That is all I can think of at this moment so if ya anna email me it is posted belo....

------------------
My Email is - Hero47@juno.com -
smile.gif
redface.gif
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif
frown.gif
tongue.gif
mad.gif
confused.gif
biggrin.gif
eek.gif
cool.gif
smile.gif

smileyshot2.gif

A celebrity spokesman always helps generate interest.

------------------
AKTI Member #A000832

"That which does not kill me just postpones the inevitable."

I was wondering if that knife giveaway and prize thing has been choosen.

Also I got a new keyboard.

ANYWAY I also think that for more people to buy knives you may want to also try getting some of your people in your "club" i guess thats what ill call it, tohelp get the word around, I notice some people put their number in their signature, which is all a good idea but maybe get people with websites to advertise your company..

Also the decals that you give away are a great idea, I mean that is what would probally sell me off on a membership like maybe you should have some type of deal that whenever you sign up you can pay like a couple bucks extra for more stickers, or maybe give extra pamphlets away on purpose to people so that they can spread the word to other people they know or anyone that is interested in knives...

------------------
My Email is - Hero47@juno.com -
smile.gif
redface.gif
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif
frown.gif
tongue.gif
mad.gif
confused.gif
biggrin.gif
eek.gif
cool.gif
smile.gif

smileyshot2.gif

[This message has been edited by MICKEY77 (edited 02-03-2000).]

E-mail, web sites, forums on the web are all great ways to get information out there. But there's still nothing like a one-on-one conversation with a person.
As a knifemaker I take every opportunity to educate people on knives as tools and how they are made. Just a couple of months ago I had 18 boy scouts at my shop. Their scout master was having "Knife Month". They had to learn safety and use of a knife. Many of them are making their own knives now. http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum25/HTML/000287.html
Whether you are a collector, dealer or maker - if you are out there in the public with your knives find an opportunity to educat someone. Even my mother-in-law looks at them differently now.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Gene Osborn
Center Cross Metal Works
I Carry My Crosses for Christ to Give any Glory to God.

Jan,

Why not form a coalition with the NKCA? Both organizations would benefit from working together.

------------------
John
Lifetime member Buck collectors club
Member NKCA
Member AKTI

Also I was driving down the road and I saw some random billboards, and it hit me, If AKTI had some billboards up then they would get a lot of publicity.. It may cost alot but also try banners on peoples websites as a start.

And I think you should submit your website to all different web finders and submit your site like YAHOO ALTAVISTA etc...

This may be one way to start off your site getting attention...

Back