Disillusioned with bigger name “Reviewers”

I've only been a subscriber for the last few years. Are you referring to something specific?

You made the claim that he is "inexperienced". I asked for clarification. Are you going to provide some or was that just a hollow jab?

You also called the guy a "butterball". Besides being impolite, did you have a point? For instance, do you think his shape somehow disqualifies his opinion?
I had a look at your post history and I understand what's going on here better now. You go around parroting what he says, you post links to his channel, in other words, you're an asp/Jon fanboy. If you thought butterball was impolite, try this on for size, he's a know it all TacFat mall ninja.
He used to give his opinion, now he lectures to viewers with his "lessons"
You won't find many people questioning his opinion or experience on his channel because when you do you are comment banned.
Often times for things as simple and true as stressing the importance of keeping yourself as strong, fast, and fit as possible as a self defender.

Getting back to the topic of the thread and my original point, Jon, like many knife reviewers, posts great content (in his case uncensored defensive encounter videos), you just need to take what you like from them, and leave the rest.

The thing about people that collect bucks from YT, they are exposing themselves willingly to the international general public - some gonna like, some are gonna not like and the vast majority will neither know or care about them.

They are paid public figures who necessarily thrive on views and engagement.

I don't look at "reviews" very often because I don't have the patience to "sit" thru them.

When I do look at a reviews of a knife that I just heard about or am interested in, I click on whatever link comes up that is short and sweet and skip thru the relevant (to me) parts and then close it.

I usually find Shabazz "entertaining" even though I often disagree w/his assessments. Never bought a knife directly based on a review by Nick. I also like listening to Slicey Dicey on occasion, because he's pretty through and doesn't have a specific bias (unlike Nick) that I've noticed. Actually bought an XM-18 3" that Brian used in a review but sold the knife because I thought that it was WAY too small. Ended up buying an XM-24 w/o looking at an online review that I'm entirely satisfied with. ;)

Couldn't name any other reviewers that I've listened to in the past; all of them are were entirely forgettable.

All that I am really interested when I click on an online review of a knife is what the knife "looks like" in the video and whether it's something that I may be interested in based on size/styling. All of the minutae that the reviews go into are pretty much irrelevant to me.

I just dont like long winded reviews and i hate unboxing; that is simply annoying i dont need to waste 2-3 minutes of someone talking then opening a box, opening another box unwrapping the thing; there is no reason for it. I think Gideons and Avanced knife Bro are pretty good for the most part but i dont follow any of them

I had a look at your post history and I understand what's going on here better now. You go around parroting what he says, you post links to his channel, in other words, you're an asp/Jon fanboy. If you thought butterball was impolite, try this on for size, he's a know it all TacFat mall ninja.
He used to give his opinion, now he lectures to viewers with his "lessons"
You won't find many people questioning his opinion or experience on his channel because when you do you are comment banned.
Often times for things as simple and true as stressing the importance of keeping yourself as strong, fast, and fit as possible as a self defender.

Getting back to the topic of the thread and my original point, Jon, like many knife reviewers, posts great content (in his case uncensored defensive encounter videos), you just need to take what you like from them, and leave the rest.

Well, credit to your due diligence on examining my post history. However, your assessment is incorrect. A lot of what he talks about are the things you can learn in a variety of training classes. They are things that I'd hope anyone who accepts the responsibility of carrying a firearm daily has already learned. That was the case for me.

There are a couple of reasons that I frequently steer people his way. First, he provides a unique, valuable, and free service with his YouTube channel. (You clearly see the value in aggregating those clips.) Second, lots of people have significant misconceptions about defensive encounters and self defense. The posting history you mentioned is me responding to people (often new and inexperienced people) who are looking to use a folding knife as a primary defensive tool. That discussion is my own. I don't know whether John specifically explores it but between general lessons and exposure to the spectrum of real defensive encounters; I'm hoping to both reinforce my point about folding knives and help people to find better options.

Just curious, what are Nick’s biases? I’ve never noticed anything consistent.

He is not a fan of super overbuilt mall ninja knives. He does have his favourite gas station knife however.

He does like thinner slicey blades and we'll made art knives.

All my opinion only.

Just curious, what are Nick’s biases? I’ve never noticed anything consistent.

Too many to mention off hand but here are a couple that stick in my mind.

One of his "big issues" is lack of rounding or chamfering on edges, which he ALWAYS mentions when it can be mentioned. There are other pet peeves of his that I don't recall off hand but they exist.

He also does not understand or appreciate SD knives.

While commends the design of the CRKT Provoke, his review of the knife was entirely dismissive of karambits and their "enthusiats" and says in the video that: "We all know that the best use of a karambit knife is as a carpet knife, that's why they are shaped that way." Say what? Go to 7:29 of the video to hear it yourself.

This comment undermined whatever good he had to say about the knife and sounded pretty f*cking biased to me.

Last edited:
Many are biased, many are fanboys, many will never spend more than a certain amount $, many will never even own a quality blade, however.
I see nothing wrong with giving them a quick look, sometimes they do point out a few things that I may like or not, If I start someones review and they immediately start bashing a certain product that I already know is quality that I own, I`ll click and move on.

He’s kidding. You knew that, right?

Words matter.

It was "sarcastic" and sarcasm is a hostile and negative remark indicative of the speaker's actual belief that's a very of critical something in a passive-aggressive manner

I believe it was Nick's way of saying that he really thought the Provoke was a POS w/o actually saying that explicitly. He can thereby deny that he didn't actually dislike the knife by pointing out all of the "good things" he said about the design, but the underlying message was that he really didn't lije the knife bc it was NOT his kind of knife, wc is indicative of one of his biases.

Last edited:
These reviewers are great for those of us who live a long distance from a knife shop. It’s much easier when you can go to a shop and hold an item. Hearing them talk about it can go a long way to help make up a persons mind. Much can be deciphered by how much they like it also. I never had a doubt I would like the Pro Tech Malibu or Quiet Carry Waypoint after watching the reviews. I wasn’t disappointed. I am glad someone was there to tell me how great the TRM neutron was.

Last edited:
Words matter.

It was "sarcastic" and sarcasm is usually intended as a slight of some kind wc is indicative of the speaker's actual belief and a very of criticizing something indirectly or passive-aggressively.

I believe it was Nick's way of saying that he really thought the Provoke was a POS w/o actually saying that explicitly. He xan thereby deny that he didn't like the knife, pointing out all of the "good things" he said about the design, but the underlying message was that it was it was NOT his kind of knife.
That is quite an extrapolation. Extraordinary. Why don’t you tag the guy? He’s a member and he seems to be a decent chap. Maybe you could sort out your “differences”?

That is quite an extrapolation. Extraordinary. Why don’t you tag the guy? He’s a member and he seems to be a decent chap. Maybe you could sort out your “differences”?

It is what it is.

I generally like Nick's reviews but I think he was entirely "off base" on this one. It sticks out to me as a "hit piece" which offers him "plausible deniability" but it's clear where he stood on it.

I have no need to "tag" Nick or sort out any differences w/him about this review. I sure it's been mentioned to him before by others. No one's "perfect" but this is a glaring example of one of Nick's biases.

I just mentioned it here because someone asked about what Nick's biases are and this is example I posted as one of them.

End of story.

Last edited:
Quotes from the review; "brilliant design", "this is just really smart work", "there's no part of this that I'm looking up like oh that's a design flaw", "CRKT has done a really excellent job bringing this thing to life", "substantially well done and so I really like seeing that", "even though this is completely outside of my domain there is absolutely no reason that I would consider owning this knife I'm really impressed by it". "this is really really cool", "this is absolutely a brilliant design that has been executed really really well by CRKT" .

Man if that's a bad knife review I gotta find me a good one!

I’m sorry but it sounds like his honest opinion. I’m a little confused. Is he supposed to do an honest evaluation or is he supposed to like everything he reviews? Like Danke42 said, he seemed to be pretty fair about the attributes of the knife,even though he’s known to not be a fan of the type. I think you’re reaching,but that’s just my opinion.

The only negative about Shabazz is those almost 2 hour videos of terrible knives. There is just no reason for a 2 +hour video on such a subject,or any subject,for that matter.

Words matter.

It was "sarcastic" and sarcasm is a hostile and negative remark indicative of the speaker's actual belief that's a very of critical something in a passive-aggressive manner

I believe it was Nick's way of saying that he really thought the Provoke was a POS w/o actually saying that explicitly. He can thereby deny that he didn't actually dislike the knife by pointing out all of the "good things" he said about the design, but the underlying message was that he really didn't lije the knife bc it was NOT his kind of knife, wc is indicative of one of his biases.
It's interesting how different people can interpret something so differently.

My impression of the "We all know that the best use of a karambit knife is as a carpet knife, that's why they are shaped that way?" comment was as a humorous wink at the fact that some venues discourage the discussion of knives as weapons, rather than tools. The next part about how the mechanism allows one to quickly flick open the blade in case of a "carpet cutting emergency" continues the theme.

Oh well, I guess a joke doesn't "work" if it has to be "explained"...

Back