Disillusioned with bigger name “Reviewers”

The only reviewers I’m disillusioned with are the ones that pronounce “tanto” incorrectly ;)

You mean like the Long Ranger's side kick... Tonto. And then there's the Microtech True O Don.

I always figured it was just regional accents, but it does annoy me too.
Maybe I have OCD, I repeat the words in my head with a NY accent....:)

I tend to watch ALL the videos of a knife I am interested in..... Good & Bad ones.....to learn as much as I can. Mostly from visuals, less about what They have to say.

I have noticed a few video posters who resonate well with me, but even the "Goofs" offer value.
......My Grandfather once said "You can learn from an idiot".

(not naming names)

With my Large, know-it-All personality.... Even I have thought about making a few videos for the underappreciated knives out there.
haha..... Except, I'm not sure I could handle That level of fame.... :p

This is a timely topic for me, as I’ve been away from the Forums for several years(I was content with the small collection of users I’ve had). I did start checking out some YouTube videos for some info as the itch came back. One of the things I noticed was that a number of the reviewers basically just seemed to do little more than flick knives open and closed without offering much beyond that. I understand the nature of how growing a YouTube channel requires regularly posting new videos, but it’s far from reviewing at times. I’ve found a few have been entertaining, but only one of two seem to offer reviews in a meaningful way.
Just my take on the subject.

In general, I have gotten more skeptical of youtube reviews of any products especially as youtube gets more and more commercialized. That is always in the back of my mind when I am watching.

I used to watch Shabazz and a few others frequently. Now I tend to be very selective, watching only reviews of knives I recently discovered or am considering for purchase. Many of the reviewers do a nice, thorough job, though a few get really long winded. Reviews can be good source of detailed information about a knife that can help with a purchase decision. But their bottom line opinions are only useful if they reflect your tastes and priorities.

I still watch some if it's a knife I'm interested in but that's about it. Sometime tune into some of them live if I'm doing something else and just listen in the background.

I get tired of the constant reminding of their membership and patreon and look at these knives that someone gave me and so on. Also for those that watch Slicey Dicey. What's the betting odds odds of that website never happening and the money raised was turned into a watch lol

I like a few of them, but even then I do not care at all about their opinions. I just want to listen to another person that likes knives like me talk about knives. It's like hanging out with a person with similar interests but with no consequences. I also like the in hand pics and size comparisons in case I might actually want to buy the knife.

I like a few of them, but even then I do not care at all about their opinions. I just want to listen to another person that likes knives like me talk about knives. It's like hanging out with a person with similar interests but with no consequences. I also like the in hand pics and size comparisons in case I might actually want to buy the knife.

Nobody I know in real life is interested in a sit down discussion about knives. I can read stuff here but yah, watching a person talking, handling and discussing a knife in depth is the closest I get to a real life knife chat.

Online knife reviewers are just another form of media. If you enjoy paging through catalogs, reading magazine articles and books, or even catching a glimpse of your favorite knife in a movie or TV program, then why would you pass up online knife reviews. Yes, most are sales pitches, while a rare few are rants against a product or maker. So what, unless you live in a hut in the middle of nowhere, you get bombarded with product pitches all day long. Virtually everything we do and see contains product placement. We are so used to getting assaulted by the stuff that we are barely conscious of it. At least with knives the sales efforts are centered around products that interest us. Which is better than the non-stop noise from insurance brokers, claims lawyers, pharmaceutical providers, automobiles, politicians, junk food, travel agencies, and everything else.

n2s

I was disillusioned when they all raved about the Peña X Front Flipper Trapper and I bought into the hype and bought one, only to discover the scale pinches my thumb skin off, the detent is so strong I cant flip it without chunks of skin going off. Now I have buyers remorse and dont even want to get rid of it.

I really wish there were more knife stores in my area so I can go physically fondle knives instead of reliant on pictures and reviews. Good thread, if you want entertainment Pete and AKB's got your back, I put them on when I'm at the gym.

I think you might have gotten a bad one. My first Pena X Series was the Barlow model and I couldn't deploy the blade for anything so I sold it disclosing the fact it didn't work well for me. Then when BladeHQ did an exclusive Trapper I decided to give it a second try and love it. The first one must have been had a bad detent and that might be the case for you as well. At least I hope so since I've ordered two more models recently...

Advanced Knife Bro is the king!

I was subscribed to Nutnfancy for years even though I rarely watched anymore, but I finally unsubbed last year when he was peddling knockoff Sebenzas from Amazon.

I subscribe and watch quite a few of them but don't take any of it too seriously. When there's a knife I really dig, I enjoy watching as many videos of it as possible while I hunt for it or wait for it to arrive. When there's a knife I'm somewhat interested in, I watch a bunch of vids to help me decide, or end up just watching them while I get the want out of my system. Then there's knives that I find intriguing but have no interest in owning, so I'll watch some vids there. Sometimes I'll watch a bit but click off quickly. I don't have to agree with a knife reviewer to enjoy their content. Hell, if it were 15 years ago and there was a knife show on the outdoor channel or whatever with some of the YouTube knife content out these days we'd all be watching every episode. Beats scrolling through the Netflix menu. I typically watch from my couch on the TV, BTW.

Wow, what first world problems we have. The youtube hurt you because there are actually people that like knives and make.......videos about them?!?!?

Come on, not many brick and mortar stores anymore, the forums and social media are about the extent of getting to see a knife I'm about to spend a good amount of money on.

"But they may be biased!" Sure, I bet they are making enough money to retire on doing this (not). We are all biased, that's why there are so many options and opinions in the knife world.

So in the end, who cares! Take youtube off your list and be happy if you want. But to come here to gripe is just lame. Like lame lame.

I guess we all reach that point. I don’t even seek out knife content or reviews.

If you have a question about a specific knife. Ask here you will get far better advice here than from a reviewer.

Yes, At least with me, you'll never run the risk I'll become too popular. :D

I like to watch Active Self Protection for the defensive encounter videos he has, but I don't listen to a word that inexperienced butterball has to say about them.
Many of the knife reviewers fall into the same category for me.

I like to watch Active Self Protection for the defensive encounter videos he has, but I don't listen to a word that inexperienced butterball has to say about them.
Many of the knife reviewers fall into the same category for me.

I've watched a lot of his videos. His analysis is usually pretty good, as are his recommendations.

Not liking someone's opinion is one thing. How do you know he is inexperienced? What kind of experience qualifies an opinion on these topics? Also, what's with the body shaming?

I know I’m a fat old boomer but before we had the internets we had knife shows

an opportunity to handle knives and speak with knife makers.

I guarantee if you go to a show and engage with the knifemakers, you’ll learn a ton more than any online review - and have an unparalleled chance to figure out what you like and what you don’t like.

I bet nobody here knows who PJ Tomes is .....PJ is a mastersmith (80+ years old now) and I remember going to his table one show and asking him “why should I buy one of your knives?”

He quipped back “because my knives cut“

He spent the next hour educating me on blade shape, grind, steel quality, etc. Ditto Bob Terzuola, Frank Centofante, RJ Martin, etc.

With the COVID and all it’s really sad that knife shows have dried up. Plus... you’re in a room with hundreds of folks that just love to talk knives

If you ever have a chance to go to a show....please take the opportunity. You’ll learn a ton and have a great time

internet reviews serve their purpose but just leave me cold. Kinda like fake teats.

You must not be a long time viewer of the channel.
And what's with you trying to shame me for "shaming" him?

I've only been a subscriber for the last few years. Are you referring to something specific?

You made the claim that he is "inexperienced". I asked for clarification. Are you going to provide some or was that just a hollow jab?

You also called the guy a "butterball". Besides being impolite, did you have a point? For instance, do you think his shape somehow disqualifies his opinion?

Back