Disillusioned with bigger name “Reviewers”

I guess I am old fashioned. But I prefer to buy what I like and use trial and error from my experiences to determine a knife's worth rather than listen to someone on YouTube tell me what I should buy. Experiences vary among users with any product.

This is an excellent post.
I too regularly steer people to ASP for the same reasons you've outlined.

On another note, I feel that the RIGHT folding knife can have a valuable place in your SD EDC.
For me it's as a back up to my CCW carried on my non-dominate side. The only folders I will carry in this role are Cold Steel for the Tri-ad lock, but I still have to overcome the hurdle of getting it out and deployed quickly in a tight spot where for whatever reason my firearm is no longer viable, or compromised by a struggle for it. (I have trained so much on this that my non dominate hand is significantly better at deploying knives than my dominate one).
Anyway, this is off topic, maybe I will come join the conversation you have going on folders for SD.
Thanks for a well thought out, classy response!

You're welcome and thanks for the kind words. I end up repeating this a lot but it's for a good cause.

The "hurdle" you describe is the heart of my argument against folders for self defense. Defensive encounters can happen quickly. You may already be on the clock before you realize the threat. You may already be at a deficit and being the good guy, you'll have to quickly assess whether you are justified in drawing a defensive tool. Then you have to get out your defensive tool, make it ready, and use it effectively.

It's that last part where folders present extra steps, more potential points of failure, and an increased risk of self-injury. Depending on how you carry your folder, the steps probably include (1) getting it out of your pocket, (2) deploying the blade sufficiently to engage the lock, and (3) repositioning your hand for effective use. Given all of the other things that could be happening at the same time, simpler is better. For instance, compare all that to a fixed blade in a good sheath that lets you get a full grip on the draw.

John does a video on his other channel that applies this kind of logic in choosing the right gun holster. With a good holster, your response with a firearm is similarly streamlined with less to go wrong. Coincidentally, this same kind of logic comes up in the gun community against either carrying on an empty chamber or having manual safety switches on carry guns. It's extra steps, extra time, and extra chances to fumble.

On another note, I feel that the RIGHT folding knife can have a valuable place in your SD EDC.
For me it's as a back up to my CCW carried on my non-dominate side. The only folders I will carry in this role are Cold Steel for the Tri-ad lock, but I still have to overcome the hurdle of getting it out and deployed quickly

The only reviewers I’m disillusioned with are the ones that pronounce “tanto” incorrectly ;)
a_aleiss_johnnydepp_500x279-300x167.jpg

You're welcome and thanks for the kind words. I end up repeating this a lot but it's for a good cause.

The "hurdle" you describe is the heart of my argument against folders for self defense. Defensive encounters can happen quickly. You may already be on the clock before you realize the threat. You may already be at a deficit and being the good guy, you'll have to quickly assess whether you are justified in drawing a defensive tool. Then you have to get out your defensive tool, make it ready, and use it effectively.

It's that last part where folders present extra steps, more potential points of failure, and an increased risk of self-injury. Depending on how you carry your folder, the steps probably include (1) getting it out of your pocket, (2) deploying the blade sufficiently to engage the lock, and (3) repositioning your hand for effective use. Given all of the other things that could be happening at the same time, simpler is better. For instance, compare all that to a fixed blade in a good sheath that lets you get a full grip on the draw.

John does a video on his other channel that applies this kind of logic in choosing the right gun holster. With a good holster, your response with a firearm is similarly streamlined with less to go wrong. Coincidentally, this same kind of logic comes up in the gun community against either carrying on an empty chamber or having manual safety switches on carry guns. It's extra steps, extra time, and extra chances to fumble.
I'm not going to even attempt to argue for one second that a fixed blade isn't vastly superior to a folder for a defensive carry back up to your firearm. I just like to be a little more discreet (no handle sticking out anywhere). However I am currently exploring small fixed blade options (I don't want to go under 4 inches) that can be discreetly carried as comfortably as possible.
I am right with you on carrying chambered with no safety, in fact that is one of the things I often link people to specific ASP videos on, so they can see that many times there is no time to chamber a round (and no it's not lost on me that the same thing applies to deploying a folder).
My current EDC is either a Sig P365 or a Kahr CM9 pocket carried in a DeSantis Superfly holster and a Cold Steel recon 1 with a modified pocket clip on my non dominate side front pocket. I carry EVERYWHERE (Court house/police station being the exceptions) so maximum concealability is a big factor for me. I can carry that in shorts, flip flops, and a tank top and no one can tell (this does require unclipping the knife and sliding it fully into my pocket at times)
I am open to suggestions for a small fixed blade and carry methods that will meet my requirements, so if anyone has them, I'm all ears.

Last edited:
The Shabazz Effect has made it such that all the opinions are very homogenized these days. Nero Knives had good info when he was making videos, but his presentation skills left a lot to be desired. Alchemy 1 is the last man standing for my tastes (Strider, CRK, Emerson). Metal Complex was good in the early days, but the Shabazz Effect got to him and now it's just a Spyderco and CIVIVI channel.

Increasingly, I find that the knives I’m interested in rarely have youtube reviews, or at least not by the most well known exponents of that dubious occupation. Bladeforums is an excellent resource, no kidding. I do make a point of searching before asking some damn fool question, but there is a huge amount of knowledge on offer here, for those who can be polite.

In the grand scheme of things, many would regard me as an expert on knives, but on here I am suitably humble on that topic. Talking of which, anybody reading this have any experience of the classic Böker scout folding knife? I have a lust... (Solingen only.)

I'm not going to even attempt to argue for one second that a fixed blade isn't vastly superior to a folder for a defensive carry back up to your firearm. I just like to be a little more discreet (no handle sticking out anywhere). However I am currently exploring small fixed blade options (I don't want to go under 4 inches) that can be discreetly carried as comfortably as possible.
I am right with you on carrying chambered with no safety, in fact that is one of the things I often link people to specific ASP videos on, so they can see that many times there is no time to chamber a round (and no it's not lost on me that the same thing applies to deploying a folder).
My current EDC is either a Sig P365 or a Kahr CM9 pocket carried in a DeSantis Superfly holster and a Cold Steel recon 1 with a modified pocket clip on my non dominate side front pocket. I carry EVERYWHERE (Court house/police station being the exceptions) so maximum concealability is a big factor for me. I can carry that in shorts, flip flops, and a tank top and no one can tell (this does require unclipping the knife and sliding it fully into my pocket at times)
I am open to suggestions for a small fixed blade and carry methods that will meet my requirements, so if anyone has them, I'm all ears.

Just like with a firearm, a cover garment can be key. While some places have laws or policies, there are a lot of people in our society who get scared or uncomfortable when they see someone carrying even a small utility tool. That's not good but neither is making strangers anxious at the grocery store. Looking back to the main topic, some of the EDC content on YouTube can have an educational or outreach effect and I'd like to see more of that.

Depending on what I'm doing or what I'm wearing, I usually carry either a compact semi-auto IWB or a small revolver in a pocket holster. The latter tends to kick my folder out of its usual spot. That's really what got me into EDC fixed blades. Smaller knives in kydex are pretty friendly on the belt. In that case, I don't even have the usual clip riding on my pocket. It's cheap but I've really enjoyed the Real Steel Receptor in this role. The steel is okay, the blade shape is great for utility, and the handle shape is amazingly comfortable for use. It's also the smallest fixed blade I'd recommend for defensive use. (For something higher quality, I've seen some compelling designs from David Mary.)

When traveling to places that ban firearms, I switch to a larger fixed blade as my primary defensive tool. Larger fixed blades get carried IWB for me. My absolute favorite for this is the Pinkerton Lancer, which is optimized for IWB. Kizer made a production version in S35VN. (It's great but I did end up sanding the scale edges a little for when it's against bare skin.) You can also get a custom version from Dirk Pinkerton.

Getting the thread back on track, let me say that I have watch Shabbaz, Slicey Dicey, Kevin Cleary, Canadian Cutting Edge, Advanced Knife Bro, Gideon's Tactical, Preparedmind101, and others that don't come readily to mind. Back in the day I watched Nutnfancy too. Now I don't watch reviews often, so I am sure I can't say I have seen all of their content, but I moved away from most of these guys for the following reasons:

Shabbaz: d*mn is a curse that means literally burning forever after death, and he speaks this word like he's breathing. I can't justify watching this.
Slicey Dicey: heard him blaspheme.
Cutlery Lover: heard him blaspheme.
Advanced Knife Bro: he's beyond vulgar.
Preparedmind101: I feel like he complains more than informs.
Nutnfancy: The guy has dropped a curse or two, but other than that he is just plain weird. I am not trying to watch a half hour informercial for toys and patches with man made sounds effects.

The ones I will still watch:

Kevin Cleary: I still watch whenever he covers something of interest, as he has a very respectable presentation.
Canadian Cutting Edge: Jake is super likeable and approachable. He's real.
WeAllJuggleKnives: Correct me if I am wrong, but I think his name is Israel? And I have watch many of his videos, and I think I did hear him say d*mn one time only. Other than that, his videos I have seen have been clean, he has a good sense of humor, he uses the items he reviews, and he gets up and demonstrates techniques, be they utility, bushcraft, or martial. When I first saw him he was ... pudgy? ... and now the guy is lean and strong looking. That alone (i.e. demonstrated and consistent self improvement) is something that garners my respect.

Shabbaz: d*mn is a curse that means literally burning forever after death, and he speaks this word like he's breathing. I can't justify watching this.
Slicey Dicey: heard him blaspheme.
Cutlery Lover: heard him blaspheme.
Advanced Knife Bro: he's beyond vulgar.
Preparedmind101: I feel like he complains more than informs.
Nutnfancy: The guy has dropped a curse or two, but other than that he is just plain weird. I am not trying to watch a half hour informercial for toys and patches with man made sounds effects.

I guess we can’t be friends. I say Sh*t sometimes and am also pudgy.

I guess we can’t be friends. I say Sh*t sometimes and am also pudgy.

If that's your choice (emphasis your choice). All I said is I wouldn't watch those reviews and I respect a guy for actually improving himself.

I apologize to you Mr. Mary. I should not have ridiculed you as I did. I thought you were quick to pass judgment on these guys calling one vulgar to be offended by dirty language. I know it must be hard for them to put themselves out there the way they do to review knives. I kind of lean towards cutting them some slack. The videos seems a lot more classy than most of the content on YouTube. Again, my apologies.

Just David is fine, or Dave, if you like. No I don't think I am better than anyone, even if I think they do something I believe is wrong, and yes, I do view bad language as a moral wrong (severity depending on the circumstances, of course). But I have not been without sin, and all I can do is move forward, improve myself and try to stand for what I believe is right.

Some say apologizing shows weakness. I think it shows the greatest kind of strength. Respect to you, friend.

I agree with @Houlahound that there is no reason to review a product you don't like. What benefit can come from smearing a product you don't like unless you are a paid reviewer for the product? No matter what you like or don't like, there will be plenty of retaliation from people that completely disagree on every aspect of your review. You didn't use a fair testing method, you didn't use the knife right, you must have got a lemon, and on and on and on.

Until I came here, I didn't know how anal retentive so many people were, and didn't understand how knives are judged. I couldn't care less about super quick deployment or make a good toy to flick open all night to mitigate the boredom of watching TV. Then get upset if the "deployment" is off, or it loosens up after several thousands of hard openings and closings. More than a lifetime of opening and closing for most.

I had never seen people that used their knife a bit, then had to send it in for a "spa" treatment. Couldn't believe folks got upset with a few stains or scratches on their knives. Didn't know there were people that were upset that their knives were off center by less than 1/16" of an inch, or didn't come shaving sharp from the manufacturer.

I learned a lot over the years. My personal aspect is couched in my daily use on the construction site as well as knife duties for hunting/hiking. It has to be sturdy, lock up well and have good steel. I love my ZT 0909, but it has been roundly criticized for looking like a "work knife". The hex nut on the side to clean it out when it gets gunked up was a stroke of genius to me, but a real turn off to others. It is a real work knife, so I have two.

The point is that any review of something is subjective unless universal protocols are in place. We all use our knives as we please and that is certainly why we buy them. I have need for fast deployment (NO knife fighting skills here) and don't need the parrot colored titanium rainbows that are on some of the knives. ZT lost me at the peek-a-boo pivot, as well as any other knife that requires a special tool for disassembly/adjustment or maintenance.

I don't know what most office workers use their knives for these days, but that really isn't the point. Everyone enjoys their knives they way they want, and that's what it is all about. I used to laugh at the guys here that had to look for a reason to use their fast deploying, S110V flippers by "breaking down cardboard" and going to the park to take some pictures of it out in nature.

Now, I see it differently, and the reviewers, too. None of them out there now have what I am interested in, so I rarely look at reviews. If it was up to me to set the standards, I would have 1) initial impressions including measurements and feel in the hand. Then 2) how does the knife perform after 6 months of nearly daily use of cutting open adhesive tubes, opening heavy bags of materials, cutting dirty fiberglass strapping, and a little light prying and scraping. And then of course, how did the steel perform in a "real world" test.

Using my standards, no one would ever get anywhere. People would then ask for a 1 year review, and then add their own standards, and then announce they didn't have the same experience and challenge me to defend my findings and my opinion. I applaud the guys that do what they do, but their reviews are of little use to me. I vote with my eyes and simply don't participate. And the good news is that if the reviewer seems to be full of baloney, I can move on in an instant. I think this thread started out well, but went off course. No one has to watch any review of anything, and it is not the responsibility of the reviewer to please everyone. If they get no clicks, they will be gone soon enough.

Robert

As was stated above, I personally think its hard to give a full “review” of a knife after a relatively short period of time. Initial impressions after a few days or even weeks? Sure, but I’m mostly sceptical of full reviews after a fairly short amount of time.

Something I’d be interested in, (if any reviewers do this, please let me know) would be an approach where the reviewer considers how the company positions a knife for the end user. Let’s say “hard use” for example. The reviewer then tests it based on that.

As was stated above, I personally think its hard to give a full “review” of a knife after a relatively short period of time. Initial impressions after a few days or even weeks? Sure, but I’m mostly sceptical of full reviews after a fairly short amount of time.

Something I’d be interested in, (if any reviewers do this, please let me know) would be an approach where the reviewer considers how the company positions a knife for the end user. Let’s say “hard use” for example. The reviewer then tests it based on that.

There is the obvious issue of putting out new reviews at a regular pace versus spending time with each knife. If the reviewer uses and carries the knife about a week, I think a lot can be learned. That's usually enough time to grasp the action, ergonomics, blade geometry, how it rides in pocket, etc. Disassembly can be very helpful in getting a look at the internals, fit and finish, etc.

I've become skeptical of edge retention feedback over such a short period. Factory edges are notoriously poor indicators of overall edge retention. How many reviewers get past the factory edge? How many times will they sharpen it? This is where I've really come to appreciate Outpost 76. His channel focuses on different steels from different companies, how they hold up under fairly standardized tests, how they sharpen, etc.

While I understand the limitations for regular reviewers, I like to see what knives end up as "keepers" or make their way into the permanent EDC rotations of various reviewers. I then appreciate seeing long-term use updates on those knives.

...d*mn is a curse that means literally burning forever after death....
You can choose to be offended by whatever you want, of course, but the meaning of damn hasn't got a narrow meaning(like a lot of words, word meanings are somewhat fluid and change over time). It can mean just to condemn without the religious stuff(eg: his evidence was damning resulting in a conviction) , it can be an exclamation, surprise (damn, you spilt your drink on me) or any other number of things. Religion doesn't own the word.

C chalby , I don't know what "choose to be offended" means. In fact, I don't know how to "be offended". I choose what I consume, and I state my agreement or disagreement, and reasons, plain and simple. I am well aware of the common uses of the word (most words in English in fact, imagine that!), and I obviously disagree with the alleged "rightness" of certain uses of certain words, as clearly indicated by my posts. I also think you and I would disagree on all that which religion has a rightful claim to, but if we're going to get into that discussion, it won't be here. There is a thread in the PA for that, or an email address in my sig.

I personally love advanced knife bro, but then again I curse like no tomorrow so anything anyone says on a video or in life has little effect on me. I have had to tone it down and watch what I say, but that happens when you have a 4 year old...

Pete and AKB are almost all I watch now. Shabbazz once in a while. Most of the reviewers or influencers have become a little full of themselves, a little nutty, or just plain lie imo. I don't take well to lying, or at least spreading information that you didn't do the research on. Aaron at Gideons Tactical is pretty cool too, I like watching him as well.

Back