Disillusioned with bigger name “Reviewers”

I personally love advanced knife bro, but then again I curse like no tomorrow so anything anyone says on a video or in life has little effect on me. I have had to tone it down and watch what I say, but that happens when you have a 4 year old...

Pete and AKB are almost all I watch now. Shabbazz once in a while. Most of the reviewers or influencers have become a little full of themselves, a little nutty, or just plain lie imo. I don't take well to lying, or at least spreading information that you didn't do the research on. Aaron at Gideons Tactical is pretty cool too, I like watching him as well.
What are some examples of lies? I’ve seen hyperbole and fawning at certain brands/makers, but I haven’t seen outright lies.

What are some examples of lies? I’ve seen hyperbole and fawning at certain brands/makers, but I haven’t seen outright lies.

I don't like calling people out, and I won't. I will say that not long ago 2 reviewers posted videos saying a certain Spyderco knife was discontinued and you HAD to get one now or the opportunity would be gone forever! It was an outright lie, because Spyderco never said it was discontinued, it just took a while to get back in stock. One of them even said Spyderco said it was discontinued, and Spyderco themselves posted a comment to the video saying they did not, and the knife was regular production.

The reviewers did NOT do their homework, and if they had they would have seen that Spyderco did not discontinue the knife. I also never saw anything where they said "Sorry, we made a mistake!" so in essence, lying.

I wont buy any knives that have the logos or are somehow dedicated to or affiliated with youtubers,ive seen it w shabbazz and nutnfancy;bad enough cold steel has Steve Austins name on their blades i do not need some youtubers name or logo on anything i own.Or when knife companies invite them to do a video with them.Who the hell are they?Get Chris Reeve or Les George on there ; these youtubers are a bunch of pee ons compared to guys like them...

The video reviewers seem to be incentivized to tilt their reviews toward the positive. Any lack of complete objectivity hurts the reviewers credibility.

Nicest thing anyone has said about me all week.

LOL! Gotta be hard to be you, man... but let me interject something nice about you.

When I want a reviewer's opinion on a knife, I get that opinion here on good ol' B.F. dot C. Usually from the Knife Review and Testing forum.

Well, I'd seen the Benchmade Bugout referenced before it hit the street and was interested. Into KR&T forum I stroll, to see if somebody reviewed yet.

Apparently there's this @mhanlen chap who's got one and posted a video. So I watch it, am impressed, and go to my brick and mortar guy and buy one.

Later on, I'm hoping that Benchmade scales down their Crooked River one day. One day they actually do! Oh, and here's that same chap with a review of it!

I've now purchased two knives after seeing them in a review video, which was full of enough of the information I was after.

Now, until THIS DAY reading THIS THREAD... I had no idea that you were a regular YT knife reviewer. Honestly never even saw the "AKB" in the corner of your video until just this day, and had I seen it I would not have ventured to look up what it meant... probably would have thought I was watching Andrew Kenneth Bernard or some such.

So I, Velitrius, can now say that I've been influenced to buy a knife from an internet knife reviewer. Never would I have thought it possible.

I will say this though... I still won't go looking through YouTube to find knife reviews, I'll hold to my practice of finding them here on BFC.

But if that BFC thread links to a video, then I'm happy to oblige the videographer. Thank you for the informative content, @mhanlen I appreciate your efforts.

I was disillusioned when they all raved about the Peña X Front Flipper Trapper and I bought into the hype and bought one, only to discover the scale pinches my thumb skin off, the detent is so strong I cant flip it without chunks of skin going off. Now I have buyers remorse and dont even want to get rid of it.

I really wish there were more knife stores in my area so I can go physically fondle knives instead of reliant on pictures and reviews. Good thread, if you want entertainment Pete and AKB's got your back, I put them on when I'm at the gym.
Hey bud, sorry about that Pena experience. Shabazz does mention the "X" pinch in one of his vids. Why not let it go to someone else? Get yourself a Pena custom front flipper if you can find it and finance it, neither are easy.

LOL! Gotta be hard to be you, man... but let me interject something nice about you.

When I want a reviewer's opinion on a knife, I get that opinion here on good ol' B.F. dot C. Usually from the Knife Review and Testing forum.

Well, I'd seen the Benchmade Bugout referenced before it hit the street and was interested. Into KR&T forum I stroll, to see if somebody reviewed yet.

Apparently there's this @mhanlen chap who's got one and posted a video. So I watch it, am impressed, and go to my brick and mortar guy and buy one.

Later on, I'm hoping that Benchmade scales down their Crooked River one day. One day they actually do! Oh, and here's that same chap with a review of it!

I've now purchased two knives after seeing them in a review video, which was full of enough of the information I was after.

Now, until THIS DAY reading THIS THREAD... I had no idea that you were a regular YT knife reviewer. Honestly never even saw the "AKB" in the corner of your video until just this day, and had I seen it I would not have ventured to look up what it meant... probably would have thought I was watching Andrew Kenneth Bernard or some such.

So I, Velitrius, can now say that I've been influenced to buy a knife from an internet knife reviewer. Never would I have thought it possible.

I will say this though... I still won't go looking through YouTube to find knife reviews, I'll hold to my practice of finding them here on BFC.

But if that BFC thread links to a video, then I'm happy to oblige the videographer. Thank you for the informative content, @mhanlen I appreciate your efforts.

Crazy that AKB is here...I never knew! He has referenced Bladeforums before. Smart move to not use the AKB name here too though. The cat's out of the bag now though. I watch AKB because he is entertaining, while also being informative. I like seeing him baton knives that shouldn't really be batonned, like a Sebenza, or SBD Evo Typhoon. I wonder how much crap he caught from Brian after that...haha!

I personally like Gideon’s Tactical reviews,that guy buys most of the knives he reviews himself and he gives his honest opinion about knives.he will tell you exactly what he likes about a knife and exactly what he doesn’t like about a knife..his reviews are often a little more in depth than many other knife reviews too and he will usually test/compare the knife he is reviewing against other knives of similar style and similar size.he seems to spend a fair amount of time in the outdoors hiking,camping and as of lately him and his family have been traveling around the country in an RV.I definitely trust his reviews more than most..I also find myself agreeing with the majority of what he says when he happens to review a knife that I own or have a fair amount of experience with

I check them out if I'm looking at a particular knife; but I make my own decisions.
I actively search out Nick Shabazz. Some of his "How-to" videos have been lifesavers.
In fact; I never would have dared try to change out the scales on my Mini-Bugout, without having watched his videos first.

I wont buy any knives that have the logos or are somehow dedicated to or affiliated with youtubers,ive seen it w shabbazz and nutnfancy;bad enough cold steel has Steve Austins name on their blades i do not need some youtubers name or logo on anything i own.Or when knife companies invite them to do a video with them.Who the hell are they?Get Chris Reeve or Les George on there ; these youtubers are a bunch of pee ons compared to guys like them...
I can’t stand shabazz’s voice. If I need some advice about taking apart a certain knife or want to see a review there’s plenty others out there.
Can’t believe someone would put his name on a knife lol what a joke

I have only been into knives as a hobby for about a year. When I first started out, I subscribed to a lot of YouTube channels. I’ve since unsubscribed to most of them. Guys like Slicey Dicey and Metal Complex bring very little to the table in terms of information that’s relevant to me. Shabazz seems like a nice enough guy but in terms of actual useful info, he’s only marginally better. I still follow “It’s a Knifestyle” mainly because he seems genuinely nice and enthusiastic about this hobby; like he’s one of us. Keith Kevin Ken is another guy I like. Cedric and Ada for when I want to see how a knife actually performs. The first guy I ever subscribed to is a SAK guy Felix Imler. Super nice and clever guy that presents tons of useful info about SAK’s. Guess what I’m trying to say is that I have no use for the “fluff” influencers and I’m more geared to watching hobbyists and actual knife testers/users.

I will say the Slicey Dicey drama the last few weeks has been entertaining.

I used to subscribe to Slicey Dicey but his videos became tedious. Whenever he talked about personal stuff, he rubbed me the wrong way. So I unsubscribed. My wife was still subscribed and showed me his original apology video (that has apparently now been taken down). I'd witnessed apologies like that before from alcoholics, junkies, and chronically unreliable employees that needed to be let go. I didn't even know what he was apologizing about. Then I saw Super Steel Steve's video and it totally made sense. What a shame...

I've watched these guys before... I kinda like Shabazz.
But.. it's because I was wanting to buy a knife. They really did nothing to help me make a good decision.

I can't really tell how the knife size and ergos are by Someone else's hand.
All the more power to them for making a successful YouTube channel.

Shrug

I don't like billboarding on knives or anywhere else. On humans even less so.
I am surprised by all the tattooed knife reviewers I see. It has become typical.
A tattoo ruins natural, inherent human beauty for me, I find it off-putting.

Now, if you have a tattoo, please don't take this personally.
We know what really matters is what's inside! 🏳️

Just out of curiosity, can someone summarize what happened?

He didn't send knives and other stuff to people who had paid him or won giveaways. He sold knives given to him by manufacturers when they were supposed to be given away. Scammed people out of money to build a website that has not materialized. He never paid people for editorials that got into knife illustrated magazine.
He blamed it on his mother dying (over a year ago) and his wife getting pregnant. Supersteel Steve called him out. Slicey Dicey has disappeared.

That's about the gist of it.

Back