Suggestion Dislike button

Status
Not open for further replies.
Literally just opened this subforum to make this suggestion.

Edit to add: actually fully agree that the complete absence of the 'like' button wouldn't hurt, either. Both or none.
The commentary about how 'disapproval needs supported with bla bla whatever snowflake preservation technique' is crap tho, as well as 'the like button cuts down on short approval post clutter'.. Seems most people "mash that like button" on top of quoting a whole page worth of text and pictures to put a thumbup emoji as a reply. 8k/year post counts dont build themselves, after all...

I'd make the same argument for the dislike button: imagine how much more civil it is to just hit the idiot buzzer and walk on than it can be to try to explain to stupid that it is indeed stupid.

Last edited:
After imagining what it would be like to have a "dislike" button, I've come to the conclusion that it would work best if there was a very limited number of them that each member could use, say, per month. Or maybe uses of the "dislike" button are earned through "likes," for example, for each 500 likes received, that member gets another chance to "dislike" a post added to his or her dislike stash. This way the forum won't be at war, splitting into factions and lobbing dislikes and likes at each other in great salvos, but instead, once in a while, when it's really needed, someone will drop a "dislike" that carries a lot of weight.

Can we get a "Dislike" button added to the forum? I'm sure there's a toggle somewhere in the back room that enables a Dislike button.

Only having a Like button is unnatural. You can't have light without the dark, you can't know happiness without sorrow, etc. The forces of Yin and Yang that bind and spawn the universe as we know it, the opposing forces of Creation itself, demand that for a "Like" button there should also be a "Dislike" button. It's practically an affront to whatever Gods may be to not have a Dislike button. Blasphemous, even.

Without the negative, the meaning of the positive is diminished.

It's also rather infantile to have a Like button only, as if "disliking" something doesn't even exist. Sometimes things need to be disliked. Think of how much more dynamic the forum would be if it had a Dislike button to complement the Like button? There are plenty of sites with a downvote button next to their upvote one, and it works. I'll tell ya one thing, it would relieve a lot of the pressure that builds up to get some characters dragged into W&C. Think of it as a relief valve and mild social correction apparatus.

Thanks!

In on 1

Facebook decided a thumbs up and thumbs down button wasn’t enough. They needed a third button for special circumstances. Things like where a friend posts that they have had a death in the family people waned to show support but didn’t want to hit “like” implying they liked that someone passed. They didn’t want to hit dislike because it was too negative and didn’t show support because of the connotations thr dislike button has.

Careful we’re not opening pandoras box here; it’s too much power!!!

But in all seriousness a dislike button might be a good idea. I kind of worry that it will be used to bully certain members though. Then once a guy has 25 dislikes on a bunch of his posts maybe other completely uninvolved members will hit dislike just to be in with the crowd.

I just get the feeling it could lead to a lot of problems and solve none. Spark and moderators aren't out looking for new ways to get headaches.
I have no problem if they want to remove the like. I managed to get along just fine without it .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back