DIY Etcher

I built an etcher using Chris Crawford's posted plans on his site. Anyone add a dimmer switch to it?

I was thinking it would go right inline after the neon lamp. I built a hot knife for cutting foam and that is where the plans were for the dimmer switch. I was thinking it would be similar.

Thoughts?

Dunno, haven't seen his plans.
If you're talking about a 120 dimmer switch for lightbulbs, installed before the transformer, I don't know why it wouldn't work... Its something else, I don't know.

My home made etcher is pretty simple and I find myself wishing I had installed a voltage regulator of some sort...

I built one similar to Chris Crawford's, and I tied into the center tap of my transformer for dual voltage (12V and 24V on a 1 amp transformer).
That said, I almost exclusively use the 12V setting.
I think varying the voltage beyond that would just be needlessly complicating a simple tool, but that's just my opinion.

Worked like a charm. Plenty of room in the case for the dimmer switch. I can't say it worked better or worse as I am new to etching. But it did allow me to change the output.

Back