DIY training blade for Fox mod.478 folding karambit

after the video review of the Fox Knives model 478 folding karambit, that I really liked, I decided to make a non-sharp and non-pointed training blade to avoid hurting myself! so I took an old 3mm thick lawnmower blade, shaped it appropriately and this is the result. the holes compensate the lack of bevels. in this way the two blades, original and training, have the same weight and return the same feelings. I also made the "Emerson wave" a little more aggressive in order to obtain an even easier deployment of the blade when extracting the knife out of my pocket.

let me know what you think!

Cool creation. Although I would think you'd want the trainer to be as close as possible to the real knife, so you'd want the same mod done to the knife's wave.

That looks very nice!

I've always been miffed that training blades, when available, usually cost almost as much as the actual knife.

lieferung lieferung - yes, the training blade should be identical to the real one. but with a training blade you have to compromise anyway. for example the training blade is shorter as you can't have that kind of dangerous tip... I consider the more agressive wave as a small improvement. I'm also thinking to modify the wave of the real blade to match the performance of the training one. it is quite easy to file the wave 1 or 2mm deeper.

CWL CWL - I agree with you but the training knife is exactly the same as the real one, also the materials, the scales, the liners, the spacers.... everithing but the blade. the blade can be of some kind of steel. it can be even not heat-treated. probably this is the reason why the trainers cost almost the same as the real knives. but I'm with you... it annoys mee too! that's why I made the training blade by myself. it only takes some patience. you don't have to bevel it and you have the real blade in your hand to copy its shape. it's really an easy and quick task if you have some manual skills compared to make a real blade.
And as we are talking about it I thought to make a different shape blade for this knife: the Fox Dart (mod. 597) has the same handle with a tanto blade. I could make a Dart blade for the same knife!!!!
:)

Back