dmt diasharp vs duosharp, continuous vs interrupted surface?

I'm trying to figure out which one i should buy

i'm looking at the 8 or 10 inch for both

i'm thinking about getting the full set of one of them

is the interrupted vs continuous surface reallllly matter?

the duoplus one have a little of continuous one

is steel residue interfering with the sharpening a big thing with the continuous one?

Have you heard of Venev bonded diamonds? I'd recommend giving them a try.

Have you heard of Venev bonded diamonds? I'd recommend giving them a try.

no, never. seem to be new (???) and the full set of 8 inch is not available at the only place that sell them (that i found)

but my question is still unanswered, does having continuous vs interrupted surface make a "big" different in term of time needed to sharpen since the continuous one would need to be cleaned more often?

no, never. seem to be new (???) and the full set of 8 inch is not available at the only place that sell them (that i found)

but my question is still unanswered, does having continuous vs interrupted surface make a "big" different in term of time needed to sharpen since the continuous one would need to be cleaned more often?

Not much, if any difference at all. In terms of grinding speed, I've yet to see any difference between them. ANY diamond hone should be cleaned after use, and it's easy to do so. Just wash it like you'd wash your dinner plate in the sink, with some liquid dish detergent and some water. An old toothbrush is handy for some light scrubbing while doing so. Rinse it off with hot water (evaporates & dries very quickly), and blot any remaining moisture with a clean towel. Let it sit out for a bit, to allow any remaining moisture to evaporate off.

Using the hone wetted, with water, water & dish detergent, or mineral oil, is a good way to keep the swarf from sticking and clogging the surface while you work. Even with the mineral oil, it cleans up as described above, easily (that's how I use mine, BTW).

I have both and they work very well.

Theoretically the plastic base with interrupted holes will cut faster due to not loading up with swarf (steel particles and lubrication) however, I do not notice any difference. If you decide on the solid surface,, clean with paper towel frequently and relub.

One bit of advice after 40+ years of using DMT products,,, well lubed (I like thin mineral oil, less rust from steel particles) and VERY light pressure,,, do not bear down on the diamonds,, you will tear the diamonds out of the nickel base. This is the main reason so many experts claim the DMT and others do not last very long. I have some of the original fine and coarse DMT products from the very early days (late 1970's) of production,, still work fine.

Just let the diamonds do the work with light pressure.

Regards,
FK

I have both and haven't really noticed any difference in cutting speed. I will say however, as I was first learning freehand, I really liked the feedback I got on the interrupted surface DMT stones. I could feel the correct angle better. I think I felt a little more resistance on the blade with the interrupted surfaceand that allowed a better feel. At least for me.

I've used DMTs for 30+ years now and have yet to wear one out. I hone dry, wipe frequently with a soft cloth to pick up the swarf. When they load up, I wipe them down with BreakFree CLP, which does an excellent job of lifting out the swarf.

I have both and haven't really noticed any difference in cutting speed. I will say however, as I was first learning freehand, I really liked the feedback I got on the interrupted surface DMT stones. I could feel the correct angle better. I think I felt a little more resistance on the blade with the interrupted surfaceand that allowed a better feel. At least for me.

I will 2nd this... both work well, but I liked the "feel" of the DuoSharps better, especially starting out. (Lighter too, if you're going to carry several around... less likely to damage something banging into it with a heavy object). :eek:

But either type will work well.

Back