DMT EF/EEF 6" Double sided stone

I've personally found that very coarse edges do everything I want a blade to do, better than a fine edge. The problem is trying to effectively deburr the edge without removing the "bite" imparted by the coarse stone. Very coarse followed by very fine might be the ticket. I'll have to experiment with my belt sander.

I usually finish and deburr both my kitchen and outdoor knives on the DMT Coarse (325 grit), as I like toothy edges with no microbevels. I've always wondered if deburring at a finer grit makes any real-world difference in edge performance or if this is just another one of those things that is mostly theoretical and barely noticeable, if at all, for working, utility knives.

I'd be interested in hearing about your belt sander results.

I've never used their XC, the C was plenty course enough for me. How'd your blades handle the grit jump?

That works great for a utility edge or quick touchup. The C is just not aggressive enough for rapid edge reset.

The XC makes it quick and easy followed by a microbevel on the EF to tailor the edge. A bit rough for some edges, but a nice compromise for a single combo stone.
👆

I wondered this myself. The XC is 220 grit and the EF is 1200, almost a jump of 1000. How does this work for you?
Also have been known to use waterstones, a 180-220 grit stone followed by an 8k polishing - same theory.

With Atoma plates I tend to use the 400 and jump to the 1200 or 3k Ultrasharp. 140 Atoma is a VERY coarse plate.

Back