1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DMT Extra Extra Fine

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by dbltap45acp, Jul 3, 2012.

1. dbltap45acp

dbltap45acp

Dec 19, 2008
    I picked one of these up hoping it would help with making a nice polished/mirror edge. I tried this on a Mora and it seems much to coarse to do so. Any help or tips would be great. I was going to get a 8000 grit water stone but figured this should be better since it stays nice and flat. Guess I was wrong

2. snowreaper1

snowreaper1 Banned BANNED

Nov 26, 2010
    The diamond stones will need some breaking in.

3. dbltap45acp

dbltap45acp

Dec 19, 2008
    Anything I can do to speed that process? Will it polish like a water stone eventully?

4. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
    I find that though my EEF DMT(on the aligner kit) doesn't give a mirror, it makes it much, much easier to get a mirror when you go to the strops.

5. bluntcut

bluntcut KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 28, 2012
    1. Flatten a steel bar 12"x1"x1/4", reduces its height to 1/8". Make sure use the whole surface of the stone. I ruined mine by lapped a ceramic stone.

2. No. My 4K waterstone produces more polish finish than DMT 8EE. Kitayama 8K waterstone will produce mirror finish - with mud+light touches will yield 10+K finishes.

6. The EEF DMT won't quite produce a mirror by itself. Maybe a hazy mirror at best, and much less if the scratch patterns from prior coarser hones aren't completely removed. Following the EEF DMT with Dia-Pastes on strops (6/3/1 micron) would help, or by following with perhaps Fine/EF ceramic hones, then polishing pastes/compounds on strops.

7. Jason B.

Jason B. KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 13, 2007
    Wrong tool for the job.

Waterstones work far better on Scandinavian grind carbon steels.

Diamond hones should be used for high wear steels.

8. dbltap45acp

dbltap45acp

Dec 19, 2008
    ok, got it. guess i will just order a water stone then. thanks everone

9. Jason B.

Jason B. KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 13, 2007
    Choosing the wrong waterstone will leave you in the same position. What stones are you using now? Brand? Grits?

10. dbltap45acp

dbltap45acp

Dec 19, 2008
    I have a few different kits. The spyderco, DMT coarse, med, fine, and extra extra fine, Razors edge coarse and fine kit, and a strop with black and green rouge. I had a edge pro apex but didnt like it much. I have no water stones so I am open to option there. I mainly want these water stones to put a nice polished mirror edge on my scandi knives. I have a Skookum Bush Tool and Spyderco Bushcrafter that need some help.

11. Jason B.

Jun 13, 2007
    1k & 6k Arashiyama stones

12. dbltap45acp

dbltap45acp

Dec 19, 2008
    I can get a 1K and 6K king that is double sidded, would you say that will get me to the same place? It seems that it will save me $40 bucks too if that will work.

13. Jason B.

Jun 13, 2007
    It's very much worth the small increase in price to get the Arashiyama stones. My experience with King stones was less than enjoyable, not to mention the are very slow even on basic carbon steels..

14. dbltap45acp

dbltap45acp

Dec 19, 2008
    Knifenut, I took your advice, I got the Arashiyama stones in the 1K grit and 8K grit. figured since i really want a nice polish I might as well step it up a bit and skip the 6K stone for now. Thank again for all the help.

15. Jason B.

Jun 13, 2007
    What 8k did you get? Should have stuck with the Arashiyama's they were made to work together.

16. dbltap45acp

dbltap45acp

Dec 19, 2008
    Kitiyama 8K..... It was 3am when I ordered it, I actully didn't realize it wasn't the same name till afterwards. It was one of thos things saying people usually buy this or that with this product, and it was the 6K you recommended or the one I bought. I can try and cancel still if it would be better. I just want to get a nice polished edge.

17. dbltap45acp

dbltap45acp

Dec 19, 2008
    Well, I was able to change the order before it went out. Thanks again brother for all the advice.

Last question, how polished of an edge can I get with the 6k stone? Will I get a mirror edge edge on my scandi knives? And will I need a nagura stone for the 6K stone?

18. bluntcut

bluntcut KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 28, 2012
    Good read about Arashiyama's 6K stone http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/850519/tp/1/.

19. dbltap45acp

dbltap45acp

Dec 19, 2008
    They seem to think of it as good stone but not great for a highly polished edge. This is getting frusterating.

20. bluntcut

Apr 28, 2012
    For mirror finish many of different knives, I use KitAyama 8K (notice: the capital A) but for high density hard carbides knives sometime I need to use 1 or 0.5 micron CBN on balsa. CBN is smoother but I also use mono crystalline diamond 0.5micron on balsa.