DMT ME vs. EE 8" bench stone

Hi folks,

I'm hoping to pick your collective brains regarding DMT medium extra fine vs. extra extra fine bench stone.

I currently have the 8" DMT bench stones from extra extra coarse through extra fine, which doesn't give me a high polish (I actually prefer a satin finish), but I finish the progression by stropping on leather strops (2 micron, then 1 micron CBN emulsion), and I get more than serviceable edge.

Just for fun, I'm thinking of adding another DMT bench stone between the extra fine and the strop, and wanted to get your suggestions on whether the medium extra fine or the extra extra fine would be better.

My initial thought is going from extra fine (9 micron) all the way to extra extra fine (3 micron) too big of a jump, as opposed to going to medium extra fine (6 micron). (I know I know.... I'm already going from extra fine all the way down to 2 micron strop....). Anyhow, if I had to pick one of the two, which one would you say I should get and why? Any any compelling reason why I should actually get both? Or is there a better alternative in terms of getting the best performance? (e.g. ditch adding another DMT, and get a 0.5 micron CBN?).

Would greatly appreciate your wisdom.

Also, main use will be to sharpen the usual high wear resistance steels that come with Spyderco's e.g. S30V, S35VN, S90V, S110V, M390, Maxamet, ZDP-189, etc.

Thank you!

Last edited:
I purchased the whole set from XXC-EEF before there was ever a MEF. I never thought the jump was too big and never bothered with purchasing the MEF stone.

But... It is just two more stones :D

I purchased the whole set from XXC-EEF before there was ever a MEF. I never thought the jump was too big and never bothered with purchasing the MEF stone.

But... It is just two more stones :D
Ok great, thank you very much for your input!

You may have just saved me some money. I had been wondering if the MEF stone was "necessary" as it's the only grit in their lineup I don't already own.

Might be better off just replacing a couple of the 6x2's with 8x3's down the road instead since I'm only lacking the fine and extra fine in the 8x3 format at this point.

I've got the following DMT diamond hones XXC, XC, C, F, EF, EEF. This progression is really good and has never felt like it has a gap.

Rather than buying a DMT MEF hone, I would add the EEF hone to your set. You would then spend less time stropping.

I also have the Spyderco Ultra Fine ceramic hone. It is generally thought to be a 3 micon stone (i.e. rated the same grit size as the DMT EEF), but, being ceramic, it actually produces a finer finish than the EEF. This ceramic stone could possibly reduce or eliminate a stropping step for you.

Last edited:
I also have the Spyderco Ultra Fine ceramic hone. It is generally thought to be a 3 micon stone (i.e. rated the same grit size as the DMT EEF), but, being ceramic, it actually produces a finer finish than the EEF. This ceramic stone could possibly reduce or eliminate a stropping step for you.

This would be fine for 'Super Steels'?

I had good results with the Spyderco Ultra Fine ceramic on M390. Slower than a diamond hone, but still makes reasonable progress. I would guess that if it works on M390, it should be good for most, if not all, super steels.

Big fan of all three Spyderco ceramic bench stones. Work great in tandem with the diamonds, imho.

I had good results with the Spyderco Ultra Fine ceramic on M390. Slower than a diamond hone, but still makes reasonable progress. I would guess that if it works on M390, it should be good for most, if not all, super steels.

Ok, that's good to know.

Big fan of all three Spyderco ceramic bench stones. Work great in tandem with the diamonds, imho.

Same here. I usually go from my DMT Fine to the Ultra Fine Sypderco with great results.

Last edited:
Back