1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Do Heinz have the sharpest metal?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Working man, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Working man

Working man

Jun 10, 2020
    Hi Folks

I had to rely on a Buck knife 112 recently whilst stuck in a snow cave in minus 20 degrees blizzard conditions.

We had some cans/tins of Heinz baked beans and a buck knife, whilst trying not to freeze to death.

I used the knife to puncture the top of the can and to cut out a rough circle so that we could eat, our can opener was about 5,000 feet down the mountain.

The result was that we ate, but when I looked at the blade, it looked more like a serrated blade than a straight blade, the can had destroyed the blade and the can was as sharp as anything I would want to touch. Is there a reason for this and is there a different type of blade/metal I should seek for the replacement knife.

Many thanks
    Frank

bigsurbob likes this.
  2. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    No.

Something here doesn't smell right.

3. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    I've cut plenty of canned goods open with a knife and could still shave with it afterwards. Your Buck 110 shouldn't be chipping out just by opening a can with it.

4. Sunyata

Sunyata

Mar 27, 2014
    It's 420hc?

5. grybsh7

grybsh7 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 5, 2007
    I’m a little confused. Were you trapped with Frank and the can of beans in the snow cave?

6. Working man

Working man

Jun 10, 2020
    Yes, it's 420hc and I have had a bath since! And the blade was completely chipped out, the edge was primarily straight from handle to tip, but the very tip disappeared and one of us must have swallowed it, the edge was missing bits and looked wavy from side to side. Ive had a professional shop work on it but it feels as sharp as a kids penknife. So I hoped to learn more you folks as you clearly love your knives and I am prepared to spend c. $120 for a replacement, fixed blade knife. I'm not knocking Buck at all but the can won and I want to learn. I purchased this from a major New York department store so believe it to be real.

bigsurbob likes this.
  7. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    I guess anyone who still packs metal cans up a mountain above the treeline but no opener will only do that a few times.

The lids will cut your fingers because they have thin jagged edges but they're not sharp or durable like our knives.

bigsurbob, Lee D and Eli Chaps like this.
  8. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    You can get a “mega swamp warden” from swamp rat knife works, you can find it for sale directly on their website, they are pretty sweet, a coated one is about $120, should open bean cans with aplomb.

tinfoil hat timmy and mqqn like this.
  9. comis

comis Gold Member Gold Member

May 17, 2013
    If you don't mind, could you please share the picture of the Buck you used to open the can? I'd like to how bad was the damage and the can(if you have the picture)

Dallas T, 353 and Rhinoknives1 like this.
  10. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Glad you made it out of that bad situation!

You had to sacrifice your tool (Buck knife) doing something with it that it is not intended to do, eg open a tin can, in order to survive. Sounds like a fair trade.

I would have expected the knife to hold up better than you describe, but at least it opened the can(s) when needed.

I have opened baked bean cans with a knife (JK Handmade fixed blade with 01 steel) and it had no damage at all.

best

mqqn

11. A.L.

A.L.

Jun 27, 2007
    I would go with the rostafrei mon! Is da most irie steel out there is! :D

12. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Pics or it didn't happen :D

13. Cvrobinson

Cvrobinson Going to hell, I’ll be back, anyone need anything Gold Member

Dec 19, 2017
    I recommend a new Buck, an a can opener :thumbsup:
    You didn’t perhaps do your own camp fire heat treat maybe, did you :eek:

tinfoil hat timmy and bigsurbob like this.
  14. Rupestris

Rupestris Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Using a blade that tall to cut in a tight circle in metal causes lateral stress on the edge. Next time cut a square in the top or use a P38.

A P38 weighs .32 oz and can be found for less than a dollar (US).

A Swiss Army knife would have been a better choice and are also available at department stores.

DocJD, jpm2, jackknife and 7 others like this.
  15. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    @Larrin , is there any change in steels brittleness when it's exposed to cold conditions ?

16. l1ranger

l1ranger Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 27, 2017
    and its got a nice little hole in it, you can run some cord through it, or ball chain, stick it on a key ring.
    heck - carry 6 of them in different places in case you lose one

17. Stelth

Stelth

Jul 15, 2007
    My advice is to carry a Victorinox with a can opener.

18. palonej

palonej Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 5, 2015
  19. K.O.D.

K.O.D. Sanity Not Included Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    I'm not larrin, but yes steel does become more brittle when exposed to extreme cold for long periods of time. Some steels are cryogenically quenched to achieve a higher hardness. But depending on that steel, that hardness can also cause brittleness, such as with ZDP-189 which is around 68hrc, very hard steel.

The chemical makeup of the particular steel has an effect on this too, and directly related to how hard the steel can be treated to before you lose edge stability.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    bigsurbob and Rupestris like this.
  20. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    I thought I read that it would, but being/living down South it snows about every ten years :p