Do Heinz have the sharpest metal?

I thought I read that it would, but being/living down South it snows about every ten years :p

See my edited post. I'm half Texan half Chicaaaaaagoan, so I understand. I remember building a snowman on Galveston island with my cousins Christmas 2004. People were so freaked out it was snowing.

I thought I read that it would, but being/living down South it snows about every ten years :p
Snow caves are pretty warm. Pleasant even. Your gear might get cold getting there but a Buck knife you just pulled out of your pants pocket isn't going to be way below normal temp.

Snow caves are pretty warm. Pleasant even. Your gear might get cold getting there but a Buck knife you just pulled out of your pants pocket isn't going to be way below normal temp.

I see, that makes perfect sense. I was imagining a knife strapped to a back pack being in the elements.

This may be an issue of technique. Cutting metal in a circular motion - as opposed to banging lots of holes through it in a linear movement, as I have done with a tanto with no ill effect - can create a lot of stress on a thin edge

I see, that makes perfect sense. I was imagining a knife strapped to a back pack being in the elements.
Yeah if you have this;

0112BRS-B.jpg

and it's strapped to the outside of a pack that's filled to the brim with cans of baked beans but no opener while out somewhere remote with snow deep enough to dig a cave I want to watch that episode of Alone, or Naked & Afraid, or whatever. Must see TV in my books!

I can’t get past the thought of swallowing the chips out of that blade.
If ever there was a “right tool for the job” moment, this is it.

ANY knife should be able to cut a can open with no damage unless it has a junk pot metal blade. I’ve been doing that for years with practically every folder I’ve owned and had no damage.

32953593-D9-E0-4770-A126-6-FE13641-E07-A.jpg

They’ll even cut much thicker stuff than cans with no damage. Exhibit A - SAK through a license plate:

C56-EB593-D521-42-CF-BEFE-BF35878-A0186.jpg

I’m calling BS.

Pics or it didn't happen :D

I just did this with an SAK for giggles. (Don't do this! Use a locking blade or the can opener on the SAK.) VanCamps Pork and Beans though because the Heinz ones are gross.

20200610-143248.jpg

I cut the entire lid out using the main blade and an angled sawing motion, applying constant spine pressure with my off hand. If you never fully withdraw the blade from the can it's fairly safe.

20200610-143318.jpg

20200610-143336.jpg

20200610-143412.jpg

After cutting the entire lid off the blade is fine. It's not quite as sharp as it was before, but it's usable and will cut paper cleanly aside from about 1cm toward the heel that was already dull.

20200610-143436.jpg

20200610-143451.jpg

I suspect the OPs chipping issues came from a lot of twisting and prying with the blade. The 112 has a rather thick blade which would be difficult to push through the can. The 420hc from Buck is certainly more capable than the recycled paper clips that Victorinox uses for their blades.

My question wouldn't be why the blade chipped, but why cans of beans were hauled up a mountain without a can opener.

Last edited:
Ive had a professional shop work on it but it feels as sharp as a kids penknife.
ummm ... just because a knife belongs to a kid does not mean its dull.
I know plenty of adults with a dull blade -- and not just between their ears...

Presuming it is a real 112 and not a fake, you can send it in to Buck under warranty.
Be aware if it is a fake, Buck will not work on it. If it is real, they will make it like new.

Next time, add a (real) SAK with can opener to your pocket when you go out in the wilds.
I'd recommend the 'HUNTSMAN' since it has a small wood saw to take care of the firewood, and scissors for that stray thread or wild hair.

You might also want to consider getting some MRE's. They take up a lot less space, and weigh a lot less than canned food. You can open MRE's with your teeth (or dentures, as applicable) if you "forget" your knife.

Back