Do Heinz have the sharpest metal?

In a survival situation it is tactically recommended to secure the can from a tree or over hang with a static line, gouge a hole in the bottom, and nourish yourself hamster style. It's called baby-birding in some units...

In all serious if I'm doing real camping not the borderline glamping-regular camping I normally do, I prefer to bring ramen noodles, jerky, trail mix, and protein powder because it's lightweight and can be eaten however. Or just survive on like two or three meal replacer bars a day.
MREs, canned food, and the like are waaaaay too heavy to be lugging around. I like to skimp on food somewhat and pack extra water.

Looked up some can opening hacks.
Besides a knife it says you can use a metal spoon to generate friction and wear a hole through the top and then peel around the edge with the spoon.
Says you could also rub the can lid on flat concrete or rock and thin the seam out till you start to see a bit of liquid and then it's pretty much thin enough to pry off.

Looked up some can opening hacks.
Besides a knife it says you can use a metal spoon to generate friction and wear a hole through the top and then peel around the edge with the spoon.
Says you could also rub the can lid on flat concrete or rock and thin the seam out till you start to see a bit of liquid and then it's pretty much thin enough to pry off.
I think they were above the rockline.

I just did this with an SAK for giggles. (Don't do this! Use a locking blade or the can opener on the SAK.) VanCamps Pork and Beans though because the Heinz ones are gross.

20200610-143248.jpg

I cut the entire lid out using the main blade and an angled sawing motion, applying constant spine pressure with my off hand. If you never fully withdraw the blade from the can it's fairly safe.

20200610-143318.jpg

20200610-143336.jpg

20200610-143412.jpg

After cutting the entire lid off the blade is fine. It's not quite as sharp as it was before, but it's usable and will cut paper cleanly aside from about 1cm toward the heel that was already dull.

20200610-143436.jpg

20200610-143451.jpg

I suspect the OPs chipping issues came from a lot of twisting and prying with the blade. The 112 has a rather thick blade which would be difficult to push through the can. The 420hc from Buck is certainly more capable than the recycled paper clips that Victorinox uses for their blades.

My question wouldn't be why the blade chipped, but why cans of beans were hauled up a mountain without a can opener.
Clearly Heinz has a better heat treat than Van Camps. Clearly.
:p
best

mqqn

Sooo.... I guess we can call bullshit on the OP?

Is chilled Buck steel ever THAT chippy?

Or did something else happen to the blade meanwhile? Did they mistake a cylindrical rock for the can before they finally found the beans, beeing all dazed and confuced from exposure?

The plot thickens.. :D:D:D

how could anyone go mountain climbing with cans of beans and not have a basic SAK with can opener?

you know even the most basic SAK waiter has it right? I'd prefer the pioneer but any of the SAKs with can openers would work (cadet, bantam, recruit)
eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMua25pZmVjZW50ZXIuY29tIiwia2V5IjogImtuaWZlY2VudGVyL3Nhay9pbWFnZXMvNTM4OTFhLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjogeyJyZXNpemUiOiB7IndpZHRoIjogNTQ1LCJoZWlnaHQiOiA0MTUsImZpdCI6ICJjb250YWluIiwiYmFja2dyb3VuZCI6IHsiciI6IDI1NSwiZyI6IDI1NSwiYiI6IDI1NSwiYWxwaGEiOiAxfX19fQ==

Back