Do Heinz have the sharpest metal?

We usually just crush the cans one handed Popeye style. The contents fly up in the air and we swallow them with one gulp. Hand strength seems to be the OPs main problem. If you can't punch a bull hundreds of feet into the air and have it land as a fully stocked butcher shop you need to work out more.

We usually just crush the cans one handed Popeye style. The contents fly up in the air and we swallow them with one gulp. Hand strength seems to be the OPs main problem. If you can't punch a bull hundreds of feet into the air and have it land as a fully stocked butcher shop you need to work out more.

This.

I was thinking the same. He needs to eat his spinach. Sadly most people under 30 will have no clue about Popeye, other than chicken.

OP is Wimpy.

Aluminum cans? A bunch of wimps! Back in the day, we had cans made of steel to open with our knives. :)

I thought they were Tin before Aluminum (Or aluminium if you're a brit). Is tin not softer?

Well Ive enjoyed your comments for sure.

The knife is a genuine 112 , it is mine and was part of a limited get yourself out of trouble kit at the bottom of an 80 litre backpack. The tins belonged to one of two other climbers we found who had had an accident and had lost one of their sacks over the edge, hence we came across 2 guys, one rucksack, a good selection of ice axes (no shovels, earth moving JCB's or sticks of dynamite!), one of gods blizzards and after we separated to shelter into 2 ice caves tgat we excavated, the temperature was -20 based on meteorological reports after we got down. At about 03:00 in the morning it is damned cold and we needed food. The chaps I had found had Heinz beans and a supply of chocolate. I had foods that needed hot water and we went for the easy option, my knife, their beans. And the chocolate of course. Hence, one destroyed blade which is where this all began.... if any of you found a rucksack abandoned on the Matterhorn, you will find a fully functioning can opener in it.

how could anyone go mountain climbing with cans of beans and not have a basic SAK with can opener?

you know even the most basic SAK waiter has it right? I'd prefer the pioneer but any of the SAKs with can openers would work (cadet, bantam, recruit)
eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMua25pZmVjZW50ZXIuY29tIiwia2V5IjogImtuaWZlY2VudGVyL3Nhay9pbWFnZXMvNTM4OTFhLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjogeyJyZXNpemUiOiB7IndpZHRoIjogNTQ1LCJoZWlnaHQiOiA0MTUsImZpdCI6ICJjb250YWluIiwiYmFja2dyb3VuZCI6IHsiciI6IDI1NSwiZyI6IDI1NSwiYiI6IDI1NSwiYWxwaGEiOiAxfX19fQ==
Who mountain climbs with cans of anything? They seem a awfully heavy way to bring food. I dont climb mountains, but hike often and go for miles. Never once brought a can with me.

Is a brass frame Buck your normal choice for cutlery when climbing? I’m from the Midwest, so I have zero experience climbing mountains, but I have spent days on trails and in the woods, and I know I’d grab a delica long before a Buck 112. Slimmer, lighter, and feels great in my hands.

Well Ive enjoyed your comments for sure.

The knife is a genuine 112 , it is mine and was part of a limited get yourself out of trouble kit at the bottom of an 80 litre backpack. The tins belonged to one of two other climbers we found who had had an accident and had lost one of their sacks over the edge, hence we came across 2 guys, one rucksack, a good selection of ice axes (no shovels, earth moving JCB's or sticks of dynamite!), one of gods blizzards and after we separated to shelter into 2 ice caves tgat we excavated, the temperature was -20 based on meteorological reports after we got down. At about 03:00 in the morning it is damned cold and we needed food. The chaps I had found had Heinz beans and a supply of chocolate. I had foods that needed hot water and we went for the easy option, my knife, their beans. And the chocolate of course. Hence, one destroyed blade which is where this all began.... if any of you found a rucksack abandoned on the Matterhorn, you will find a fully functioning can opener in it.
Beans & Chocolate! Did you have any Chile’s? Mexican Mole in a ice cave at -20 degrees. Sounds yummy! :thumbsup:

I thought they were Tin before Aluminum (Or aluminium if you're a brit). Is tin not softer?
how are you doing? Canning goes back to a 1795. The French Gov looking for a Way to feed their army on the March & Navy... They were Champagne bottles, then Iron with tin plating. Then steel with ti . Aluminum wasn’t available till the 1930’s? They use Aluminum for beverage cans. Haven’t see it used for food cans, but it’s more than possible. Yes, Tin is softer than steel....The history blog has a interesting write up on canning.

It’s possible the Buck chipped, but it would be helpful to see pictures for any of us to dial in any kind of accurate synopsis.

I recently had an experience with a 119 that has slivers of metal flaking off as I sharpened it. No matter how much material I removed using my KME, small 1-2 mm slivers would chip off the edge. Eventually I gave up and told the owner that I couldn’t get the edge to stop chipping.

Buck makes a fine product, but it’s not impossible that your knife may have an issue. Combined with extremely cold temperatures may have compounded the problem.

*Shrug*

Hard to say for sure.

Back