Do I have use for these?

rKPyrS2.jpg

rKPyrS2.jpg

Sorry for the double post of the same image, still used to the PhotoBucket Days I reckon.

i also have a Barbers Best Fine Weave Linen Finish Strop also made by Illinois Strop Co. Both Strops appear to be 24" long and they are hanging type Strops. I no longer use these for the intended purposes e.g. straight razors but was wondering if these two strops, the leather and linen that are mentioned could be used on a flat surface for finishing knives?

Last edited:
For myself, if those were mine, I'd use them the same as with a razor, hanging-style. That's how I currently use a leather belt, for my knives. For the most part, I limit the use of it to simpler carbon & low-alloy stainless, which respond nicely to it without the need for any compound.

An advantage to using it hanging-style, is that it's difficult and essentially impossible to compress the leather that way, as the strop will simply deflect away from the blade with much applied pressure. Not compressing the leather will be better for finished results.

For sharpening ?
No.
(pointless, dirty things)

As a potential or practical child disciplining wall decoration . . .
perhaps.
Worked with me.
Pretty much all one has to do is refer to it.
Remarkable how this acts as a system reboot.

Of course it's useful for sharpening knives!
"Stropping" has recently become "sharpening," by using abrasive compounds on soft backings like leather or wood.
Real stropping uses leather to remove any burrs left from sharpening. No abrasive is needed, if you sharpen properly.

Hi,
A razor is just a knife ;)

But,
If I were you I would work getting the most of out of your stones and forget about stropping until you can whittle head hairs and tree top hairs straight off the stones ... at which point why bother with leather strops :)

This based on reading i-just-had-a-light-bulb-just-go-off-sort-of.1586552

Thanks for your bit of advice / opinion on what I should and should not do? I may not want 'Tree Topping' or 'Whittling Head Hairs', most steels (not all) will lose that keen edge you speak of in no time, and for me, for use as a work knife, I see no benefit with that keen of an edge. Why spend the extra effort in trying to attempt that feat other than 'Bragging Rights' / 'Show and tell' when it probably won't last beyond very limited use? What have you accomplished other than personal goals and that is fine, but each of us Knife Enthusiast have different uses for their knives. There might be a fellow who works in a warehouse that uses his knife all day to cut and break down corrugated boxes and plastic strapping. How long to you think that 'hair whittling' edge going to last? I guess what I am trying to stress, is that each of us have different goals and mine may not match yours.

With all that being said, I did end up resharpening my Delica VG10 at 17deg (per Angle Cube) and did chase he burr. Using SiC Stones the initial Burr seemed like it took forever but the time was shortened greatly going forward, flip flopping the Burr during my progression. And after the sharpening and yes, stropping (why? cause I wanted to) I was able to slice through phone book paper both with, against the grain, mission accomplished. Really not sure if taking the edge down the additional 2 deg was the answer or just paying closer attention to my technique. I should had made a YouTube. Lastly, did I need to take my knife to hair whittling abilities to achieve my intended goal, nope... To each their own.

Thanks for your bit of advice / opinion on what I should and should not do? I may not want 'Tree Topping' or 'Whittling Head Hairs', most steels (not all) will lose that keen edge you speak of in no time, and for me, for use as a work knife, I see no benefit with that keen of an edge. Why spend the extra effort in trying to attempt that feat other than 'Bragging Rights' / 'Show and tell' when it probably won't last beyond very limited use? What have you accomplished other than personal goals and that is fine, but each of us Knife Enthusiast have different uses for their knives. There might be a fellow who works in a warehouse that uses his knife all day to cut and break down corrugated boxes and plastic strapping. How long to you think that 'hair whittling' edge going to last? I guess what I am trying to stress, is that each of us have different goals and mine may not match yours.

With all that being said, I did end up resharpening my Delica VG10 at 17deg (per Angle Cube) and did chase he burr. Using SiC Stones the initial Burr seemed like it took forever but the time was shortened greatly going forward, flip flopping the Burr during my progression. And after the sharpening and yes, stropping (why? cause I wanted to) I was able to slice through phone book paper both with, against the grain, mission accomplished. Really not sure if taking the edge down the additional 2 deg was the answer or just paying closer attention to my technique. I should had made a YouTube. Lastly, did I need to take my knife to hair whittling abilities to achieve my intended goal, nope... To each their own.

With the nicer equpment I don't think you are aware how easy and quick it is to get this knid of edge. It's one more stone and a few light strokes to get hair whittling and tree topping.
It almost just happens while deburning. I'm talking Shapton Glass 4'000 stone (not 8,000 or 15,000 or 30,000 Pro stones).
Relax dude . . .:)

With the nicer equpment I don't think you are aware how easy and quick it is to get this knid of edge. It's one more stone and a few light strokes to get hair whittling and tree topping.
It almost just happens while deburning. I'm talking Shapton Glass 4'000 stone (not 8,000 or 15,000 or 30,000 Pro stones).
Relax dude . . .:)

You were right, I was unaware, so the next sharpening I will give it a whirl and see what happens...

If you don’t want to get the most from your edges, then why ask about strops?

About 8 or 9 years ago I was into Straight Razor Shaving (Short Lived Obsession) and I bought these two strops, Leather/Linen. Well, I forgot about these strops and recently found them stashed away in the Linen Closet. On the Internet you can find hundreds of discussions on how to sharpen a knife and a long with that, hundreds of discussions on Strops, types of leather, compound and technique's. Without going beyond what I have already mentioned I was merely trying to get an answer whether the Strop I have can be used for folding knives versus straight razors and apparently they can, judging by the responses I got. It is still unclear of to me whether Linen can also be used? I found the answer to my Linen question. Dug up an old thread from 2011 stating that Linen can be used to deburr coming off higher grit stones.

Last edited:
The lined side was used with stropping paste.
The leather side is for final deburring without abrasives.

Back