Do it yourself and save money?

This whole thread is just a bunch of propaganda to sell wood to ignorant makers. Wood grows on trees, man... It's like free, man.

Wood "suppliers" dry out their product only to turn around and put chemicals back in to make it look wet again?... Completely redundant... Scam!

Bottled water, man.... Friggin bottled water... Wake up, people!

Rick:p

He's on to us Chuck. You know what we have to do.

I originally heard this about the gun business, but seems like it applies here....

"How do make a small fortune in the 'stabilized wood' business?"

"Start with a large fortune."

I originally heard this about the gun business, but seems like it applies here....

"How do make a small fortune in the 'stabilized wood' business?"

"Start with a large fortune."
Works in the brewery business too...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I'm a little late on this thread but have a few things to share! Over the last 21 years I have bought, dryed & stabilized my own woods using WSSI or K & G. I will do it on occasion for small batches of Bocote or Cal Redwood but I usually just buy my sets of Scales from those Scalpers! Mark or Ben! Cause it takes up a lot of time & work not to forget all the extra mess processing all of that wood makes and I actually make more in my knife making by.... wait for it,,,,,,,,,,,, Making my knives!:D ...........one added thought for those that wanna get into WOOD! Wear a respirator when cutting & sanding all of the stabilized materials so you don't get those chemicals in your lungs!

Well stabilized wood is definitely a joy to work with. I did a batch of Skinners and bird and trout knives a while back for a client of mine who used to make custom fishing rods. He supplied me with some leftover fly rod handle blanks. Some absolutely stunning pieces of yellow cedar burl stabilized by K&G
Gave me a horiffic headache (yellow cedar is bad enough, let alone stabilized) but they were some of the most spectacular looking handles I've ever seen.
I'll be restocking on burl soon enough, and I'll definitely give one of you a try!

Back