• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Do not buy from Hinderer Knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look I think it's important to be clear that Rick Hinderer makes a brilliant knife. Worth every cent and more. Unfortunately there seems to be some disconnect in his customer service department. Easily rectified, which I am sure he will do.

Had the OP returned the knife to the dealer he originally purchased it from this thread would not exist. Better communication and systems are required, but that takes nothing away from the knives. They are excellent.
Totally agree.......

While RHK could have handle this better I see no defect in this that would actually qualify for any warranty work so I don't really see that RHK has really done anything worth smearing their name over.

OP: You overreact and are fussy.

I see the 'defect' and I understand. It's not unusable, and it's cosmetic as you also allow. Still....

You tried to cut out returning to the dealer to help them. In the end it not only didn't work, it worsened.

Hinderer Knives could very well have 'sucked it up' and refinished the blade, but they didn't. I don't have a good answer. (I often spend HOURS refinishing an image to a client's liking. I 'lose' profit. However the next ten images I do, which slide through, simply make up for that time. Me: I consider rework as the cost of doing good business.)

Regardless, the thread title: 'Do not buy from Hinderer Knives' is completely overreacting. 'Questionable CS from Hinderer Knives' = clear.

Do you actually want them to go out of business? Serious question because your title, if followed, would indicate this.

Send this back to the dealer and hope for the best. I'd edit the title.

Good luck.

Unsolicited two cents: even if it’s technically not a factory defect, good customer service would dictate if a well-paying customer is dissatisfied, the right choice (IMO), make this right.

Neither a retailer nor a manufacturer is required to make any warranty whatsoever on goods sold or made, although the basic warranty of "merchantability" must be declaimed in express language before sale if the seller wishes to avoid it.

Here, the manufacturer voluntarily warranted the knife, inviting the end user to rely on that warranty.

There is no isssue about the end user's dissatisfaction with the appearance of the knife in question. However, one problem with that warranty is that the language of is somewhjat gibberoish. Hinderer guarantees "against material defects and workmanship." I have never seen a warranty "against workmanship," and "workmanship," standing alone, has no fixed legal or English meaning as a standard of quality.

I tend to rely on sellers, rather than makers, to correct perceived defects in goods that I buy because sellers are often more committed to customer satisfaction than are makers. Some knife makers, and you can supply the names, think the end user fortunate to have the opportunity to possess his knives, and brook little complaint, if any.

Personally, I didn't see much in the image to cause alarm, but maybe it's just me. I have great respect for both Steven and Roland, so, obviously there is room for differences of opinion on the matter, and ultimately the OP's choice. It's unfortunate it wasn't dealt with through the dealer, however. C'est la vie.

The photo is too small to really see anything. It seems like people that complain about things tend to have a habit of using small or lousy photos.

It's not a perfect finish. That's the great thing about stonewash though. If I had a satin finished blade and it had that line it'd be another story.

End of the day, it's a production knife. There will be machine marks/lines on almost every mass produced knife. Even semi-custom/midtech knives have 'em.

Look I think it's important to be clear that Rick Hinderer makes a brilliant knife. Worth every cent and more. Unfortunately there seems to be some disconnect in his customer service department. Easily rectified, which I am sure he will do.

Had the OP returned the knife to the dealer he originally purchased it from this thread would not exist. Better communication and systems are required, but that takes nothing away from the knives. They are excellent.
To be perfectly clear about this, Rick Hinderer does not make a brilliant knife in my opinion. This thread exists due to the fact that his company allowed an imperfect knife with a high price tag to leave his shop. Yes, there is a big disconnect in his customer service department. But an even bigger one exists in the manufacturer's ability to acknowledge an issue with their product. The simple fact is that the thread would not exist if RHK had remedied the situation to begin with. The knives are not worth the money they ask if they cannot back up there warranty.

Hey guys,
So I would like to address a few things concerning this thread. Firstly, yes I intended for the title to be harsh. Companies who do not stand by their warranty or their services provided need to be called out. Secondly, while the photo was not the best, it was a factory issue that was acknowledged by Hinderer Knives as being present. Thirdly, I stand by my previous statement. Do not buy from this company. Do I wish for them to go out of business? No, I don't. What I wish for is for the company to address the issues that are present in their current warranty status. Either own up to the warranty that is currently advertised on your website or fix it to be an accurate representation of the products you sell. If it had been a knife without a warranty, that would be a reasonable and understandable reason to go through the dealer. However, RHK provides a lifetime warranty on all their knives. Companies such as Chris Reeve, Benchmade, WE Knives, Civivi, Victornox, Leatherman, and many other provide outstanding warranties. To put this into perspective, Benchmade claims, "Yours for life," and stands by that. Chris Reeve offers a service on their knives that will literally restore the finish to factory new. Civivi and WE both offer an amazing warranty service if you have issues. Leatherman will provide replacement tools if you break them. Yet RHK claims to have that same service quality yet falls short on providing it. The service I received was inadequate for the price of the knife and despite what people's opinions are, I believe that this should have been handled much differently.
Update on the knife: The knife has since been sold and is no longer in my possession.
My recommendation: buy from more reputable companies who actually stand by their product.

You can praise the warranty of most any company but I would be surprised in even half of them would have warrantied this "issue"

To be perfectly clear about this, Rick Hinderer does not make a brilliant knife in my opinion. This thread exists due to the fact that his company allowed an imperfect knife with a high price tag to leave his shop. Yes, there is a big disconnect in his customer service department. But an even bigger one exists in the manufacturer's ability to acknowledge an issue with their product. The simple fact is that the thread would not exist if RHK had remedied the situation to begin with. The knives are not worth the money they ask if they cannot back up there warranty.
Your mistake: As the knife did not meet your expectations you should have returned it to the dealer for a full refund and moved on.

RHK's mistake: After you sent the knife to RHK they should have kept it, gotten the dealer to refund you and moved on.

However that did not happen and here you are........

Why have you still not returned the knife to the dealer for a refund?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back