Do not send

Back in 2012 I sent my CS tanto 1997 to sharpen in 2012. 15 years old I figured I would treat myself and b ring the knife back to life so to speak.But when it returned it was shortened by a 1/4" the width was taken down by 2 mm and the tip was grounded to a crooked point.

These are just based on my experiences and doesn’t necessarily mean it will happen to you. I’m sure lots of people get well sharpened knives back from the customer service of knife companies.

I have seen similar experiences with many knives being resharpened when sent in to the point where if I am sending a knife in for service I request NO SHARPENING! They often sharpen the knife anyway.

Bad enough they will sharpen your mirror polished perfect edge into a jagged mess; but what Kershaw did to an unsuspecting friend’s Kershaw Tilt was pure blasphemy. They completely ruined the value of the knife by turning its very straight wharncliffe edge into a round belly.

A ZT the same guy got back from sending in to strengthen the detent came back with a jagged edge that more rips than cuts paper. It went in with a very sharp pushcutting edge and a note specifying they don’t sharpen the blade.

Not to mention a very poor edge I had returned to me on my Spyderco Southard.

Moral of the story is if you can’t sharpen your own knives send them to a professional. And not the guy with the bell in the truck.

I guess it happens more often than I thought. I did buy a cs san mai tanto recently and the differences was tremendous. I couldn't believe it. I should've fought for another knife. Oh well. I got to get some pics so you'll know what I mean.

If I send a knife into warranty at any company, I typically cover the edge with masking tape and write on the tape - please do not sharpen.

That is a good idea.
When ever I send a knife in for adjustment or repair, I always include a note asking that the blade not be sharpened. Sometimes they don t comply. But while I ve often gotten knives sharpened with ok edges (not always), I ve never had one ruined. And usually the edge I sent in is better than the edge I get back.

Bummer! I guess I have been lucky the half dozen times I have had it done, they even gave me a nicer sheath for one. If they screwed up a vintage knife, I would be in my car on my way up there. $5.00 including return shipping is nice for my useless(for sharpening)arthritic hands. I have had "professional" sharpeners screw up knives before(not to mention the expense)so I have been trusting the factories.

Did you take any photos, before and after to share with us?
20160504_003154.jpg

Last edited:
Back in 2012 I sent my CS tanto 1997 to sharpen in 2012. 15 years old I figured I would treat myself and b ring the knife back to life so to speak.But when it returned it was shortened by a 1/4" the width was taken down by 2 mm and the tip was grounded to a crooked point.
Am I the only one wondering why a knife sharpened in 2012 has relevancy in 2019 ?
Moral of the story is if you can’t sharpen your own knives send them to a professional. And not the guy with the bell in the truck.
Bell in the Truck . . .Bell in the Truck . . .Bell in the Truck . . .?
Oh . . . snow cone vender ? I hear some of those guys are BA sharpeners :)
have seen similar experiences with many knives being resharpened when sent in to the point where if I am sending a knife in for service I request NO SHARPENING! They often sharpen the knife anyway.

Bad enough they will sharpen your mirror polished perfect edge into a jagged mess; but what Kershaw did to an unsuspecting friend’s Kershaw Tilt was pure blasphemy. They completely ruined the value of the knife by turning its very straight wharncliffe edge into a round belly.
Now now an orangutan can't be expected to be able to READ and COMPREHEND such a technical communiqué ! ! !
Especially while being annoyed by the discomfort of sitting on that pint in his back pocket.

I will say that if anyone at Cold Steel wishes to learn how to sharpen from someone "in house" they can check in with the German dudes that make their Kitchen Classic line of knives.
I have as many as three examples of one model of those and each was very consistently sharpened to hair whittling. (not bad for an $8 knife).

Cold Steel : as the kid's story goes . . . I know you can, I know you can, I know you can, . . .

Am I the only one wondering why a knife sharpened in 2012 has relevancy in 2019 ?

Bell in the Truck . . .Bell in the Truck . . .Bell in the Truck . . .?
Oh . . . snow cone vender ? I hear some of those guys are BA sharpeners :)

Now now an orangutan can't be expected to be able to READ and COMPREHEND such a technical communiqué ! ! !
Especially while being annoyed by the discomfort of sitting on that pint in his back pocket.

I will say that if anyone at Cold Steel wishes to learn how to sharpen from someone "in house" they can check in with the German dudes that make their Kitchen Classic line of knives.
I have as many as three examples of one model of those and each was very consistently sharpened to hair whittling. (not bad for an $8 knife).

Cold Steel : as the kid's story goes . . . I know you can, I know you can, I know you can, . . .
because i wanted to ok! Wowbagger u r the only one... just a warning thats all smart a$$.

There's one in every crowd if u didn't like the post u should have scrolled on. This BS is why i haven't returned to blade forums in awhile.

Just like you would prefer he scroll past rather than reply to the post, you have the option to put him on “ignore.” Nice and easy. It’s a two way street.

Although I admit I too am curious what prompted you to post a negative review of their sharpening work 7 years after the fact.

I wondered for a couple of seconds and then decided it wasn't worth the effort. My experience(positive) has been fairly recent and I will continue to send them. Sorry the OP had such a bad experience and understand completely his position, that is a rare expensive knife.

Just like you would prefer he scroll past rather than reply to the post, you have the option to put him on “ignore.” Nice and easy. It’s a two way street.

Although I admit I too am curious what prompted you to post a negative review of their sharpening work 7 years after the fact.
I did it because I just got a new recon tanto in san mai steel and compared the two. So much metal was taken off in the sharpening process that I got a little pissed off again and had to write about it. Back then I was very angry about it. So that's what happened. my god!

Back