Do we really needed under 2-micron abrasives for the mirror polished edge?

Usually, at 3 microns, my edge is still cloudy. It’s technically mirror since it reflects back though but with hint of cloudiness. I usually end my lapping at 1 microns and refine the micro bevel with a 0.5 microns.

6927714-F-1209-4164-A9-BF-31-A139129-A67.jpg

For something similar, to that thumbnail, my sebbie is around at 6 microns and was polished by hand. Not a true mirror since it has a lot of scratch still. But fairly acceptable to me. From the picture, it seems mirror but it is not really if you look in real life.

3-C738-E07-D213-49-DD-9-E56-DD2-DE5-E95-EF8.jpg

2-E98-B3-BB-D0-BA-478-E-ABDF-2-C02538-A7669.jpg

99-AF5-F8-A-BFAF-4-C1-C-86-CE-FEB14-B1-C0-B83.jpg

C8-EA0-B03-EA76-40-C1-B0-BB-972-DD0-E9-C47-D.jpg

The specific shape, hardness, protrusion, and method of abrasion all impact resulting finish. I had some prototype sharpening stones where a FEPA 600 grit was putting a gleaming mirror finish on metal that a FEPA 1200 grit with a different bond formulation was putting a frosted finish on.

So the consideration is that it would be that it depends on how “ mirror like” you wish to get to.
But I would have to say it depends on if you’re doing it for fashion or function. Because you don’t really NEED that additional edge unless you’re doing surgery.
But it shore is purtty !!

I never watch linked videos. But based on the question asked, maybe "we" don't need 2 micron abrasives, but some people like to delve into the finer realm. For those arguing against, then don't. It's no big deal what anyone decides to do.

It depends on how cleanly mirrored you want your edges to be. Personally, I really don't care much for mirror polished edges. But after I bought my Wicked Edge Pro Pack III that has the WE130 clamp in it, I decided to polish the edges on my Boker Kalashnikov 74 Auto just for the fun of it. I chose it because I decided not to use it for regular use. I guess I'm now a collector...o_O
The WE Pro Pack III comes standard with Diamond Emulsion grinding down to 2 microns. As you can see in the photo it looks pretty good just looking at it with your eyes while holding it in your hands, but when you get it under magnification it doesn't look as pretty. I'm sure that going below 2 microns would look much better.

Boker Mirror-1a.jpg

Just my opinion, but for practical useage, I seldom go past 3 microns.

For my "Bragging rights" blades, I will usually go as fine as .1 micron.

Usually, when I go past 3 microns, it's more for fun and a sense of "because I can" than for any practical purpose.

OTOH, "fun" and a sense of challenge is why I got involved in sharpening in the first place.:)

There is a sense of great satisfaction, to me at least, to look at a .1 micron ege and realize "Hey! I did that.":thumbsup:

Back