Do Ya Froe?

bikerector

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Not really John's normal style of knife, but it seems like some of the mini-chopper/wood processing knives are popular and John's O1 supports beating the hell out of it without risk of damage. So, I'm thinking of designing a 5-7" hunk of O1 intended to be beaten through wood or similar such playfulness. In my mind, it would be primarily intended to start fires as a purpose-driven design. Looking and feeling cool probably falls in pretty high too.

So, do you like to use a knife like a froe, either for fun or because it makes sense for your loadout? What do you like or dislike about what's currently out there?

Last edited:
So you're talking something like a bamboo froe or expat libertariat?
Handy.
The ones I've used lose their edge too quickly.
John's HT should solve that handily

So you're talking something like a bamboo froe or expat libertariat?
Handy.
The ones I've used lose their edge too quickly.
John's HT should solve that handily

I kind of have two thoughts on it, and maybe that's where I'll blend it a bit and see where it takes me. There is the expat libertariat, Terava skrama, BK4 style where it's a little longer and would be a better chopper but longer, or go shorter like an esee 5 or BK2 with a more compact design that is thicker and/or wider to get weight into an easy to carry package. But, they aren't the best cutters but they do cut and are excellent compact wood processors.

I designed something of a smaller camp knife a few years ago for personal use from a different maker that I really like, that I consider my "BK2" interpretation as far as it's functional intent. I'm thinking something a little bigger than that, and then figure out how far down the tactical look or utility look to go down. I went down more of the tactical look on the other design.

Not really John's normal style of knife, but it seems like some of the mini-chopper/wood processing knives are popular and John's O1 supports beating the hell out of it without risk of damage. So, I'm thinking of designing a 5-7" hunk of O1 intended to be beaten through wood or similar such playfulness. In my mind, it would be primarily intended to start fires as a purpose-driven design. Looking and feeling cool probably falls in pretty high too.

So, do you like to use a knife like a froe, either for fun or because it makes sense for your loadout? What do you like or dislike about what's currently out there?

I split wood with a knife all the time. We have frequent campfires with friends. Plenty of kids running everywhere. I find using a baton on a big knife much safer around a crowd of people than swinging a hatchet or an axe. My splitters/froes of choice are a Becker BK4, Ontario SP8 or 53, Ontario Kukri or an RtakII. If we’re hiking and I plan on bringing one along, it’s either the BK4 or a Skrama because they’re lighter and easier to carry. I have a BK2, but the 5” blade is shorter than I like for splitting wood.

I split wood with a knife all the time. We have frequent campfires with friends. Plenty of kids running everywhere. I find using a baton on a big knife much safer around a crowd of people than swinging a hatchet or an axe. My splitters/froes of choice are a Becker BK4, Ontario SP8 or 53, Ontario Kukri or an RtakII. If we’re hiking and I plan on bringing one along, it’s either the BK4 or a Skrama because they’re lighter and easier to carry. I have a BK2, but the 5” blade is shorter than I like for splitting wood.

So what length do you like to use for splitting? Seeing what's in your list, I would have to guess around 8-9"? Would 6-7" be enough to fall into the preferred range?

6-7 works well for pieces under 4" diameter or for breaking down already split wood, but overall is kind of an odd size.
it's a do-everything acceptably, but not especially well.
kitchen chores and dressing out critters? sure, but not as easily as a 4-5" knife.
chopping/splitting firewood? sure, but not as efficiently as a 9-10" blade.

6-7 works well for pieces under 4" diameter or for breaking down already split wood, but overall is kind of an odd size.
it's a do-everything acceptably, but not especially well.
kitchen chores and dressing out critters? sure, but not as easily as a 4-5" knife.
chopping/splitting firewood? sure, but not as efficiently as a 9-10" blade.

Totally agree. I’ve been playing with an esee6, Ontario rat 7, and a bk7 lately and while I enjoy using them all, they’re a little bigger than I would reach for if I wanted a belt knife for wandering in the woods and a little smaller than I would reach for if I was going to build a campfire. I’m also not a fan of thick 4-5” knives. My BK2 hangs in my shed and collects dust. I won an Esee 5 in a gaw and it lives in my 4Runner toolbox.

The Libertariat is an interesting tool. I've battoned mine and it does okay. I didn't feel like it did better than a typical blade shape like a Junglas or BK9. I've used it for trail maintenance where again it did okay but not as good as a Cold Steel or Ontario machete. For the price it's not a bad knife but I couldn't see myself paying more for a custom unless someone can show me the benefit of the blade shape over a traditional design.

I just found this thread and while I cant build a knife, I would be interested in knowing of any cheaper options to the ones you guys tanked about (like the less than $30 range) 6-7" is what I would go for, but durability is much more important to me than looks. I know this isn't the thread, but since it clearly has safety concious people.... lol (hatchets seem much more dangerous than batonning!

I just found this thread and while I cant build a knife, I would be interested in knowing of any cheaper options to the ones you guys tanked about (like the less than $30 range) 6-7" is what I would go for, but durability is much more important to me than looks. I know this isn't the thread, but since it clearly has safety concious people.... lol (hatchets seem much more dangerous than batonning!

It’s gonna be tough finding one for under 30 bucks. If you shop around you can find Ontario SP knives that are pretty soft and baton well.

Another option is using plain bar stock, grinding it down and wrapping a handle. Doesn’t have to hold an edge, but will baton well enough.

To answer the OP,

At home I have pretty good success using a Condor Kukui in 1075. Fairly inexpensive, tough, and long to get through thick rounds.

For camping I use a Ontario SP 53 or lately a Becker. I tried a Woodman in 5160 but on the first whack the flat grind deformed. I have also had good results with a Condor Hudson Bay.

For hiking and with the chance I might baton I think the smallest I would go is my Esee 4 or equivalent.

You can baton a hatchet, though it's a little harder if you can't get the wood to split once you have the whole head buried. I just wanted to point that out.

Since the nature of this thread is based around something I would design and have made, I won't discuss production options but if you want to email me at goodknifeco@gmail.com I'll gladly discuss the topic there with you.

Back