Do you carry a back-up knife with you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am one of those who always possess things in pairs, so when it comes to carrying knives, more often than not, I will have a spare somewhere with me.

It is not a matter of being paranoid but I am a firm believer in having a back-up to accommodate all unexpected situations.

So even though there is the main knife, there will always be the second one somewhere.

What about you?

I don't carry the first one. They just sortta cumulate :rolleyes:

Last night, emptied my pockets. A DR kit folder, Emerson CQC7, Uncl henry Whittler, small kinfe, sissors combo, and my James Luman Utility.

I always carry two. ( I don't know if you call that back up but ....)
I usually carry my BM705 for doing my usual utility like opening boxes and letters etc.
And I carry my MT Tachyon for self defense and killing time when I am board by flipping.
:rolleyes:

The only backup I usually have "around" is a multi-tool of some sort. Okay, I also have a little crappy serrated knife that is always on my raft. It's great for cutting rope or slicing a tomato.

"a" backup? Always have a sheeple(oops small) knife, large folder for utility, and my civilian. Then there is whatever I have in my backpack, and of course my leatherman in my car and one on my keychain.
I am getting a CUDA Maxx though, so that might take over as the large utility/self defense knife.

I don't think of them as back-ups, more like companions.;) I may walk around the house with only one knife, but I never leave without at least two.

I always carry two knives, in addition to my various multi-tools. I generally try to have one defensive knife and one sheeple-friendly knife, but my idea of sheeple-friendly may be getting kind of strange these days.

710.jpg

My dressed-up 710 is pretty, but kind of big...

;)

--Bob Q

I carry a Cold Steel Voyager tanto as my primary and a Gerber LST as back up. I like the Gerber for a back up cuz it's very thin and easy to conceal. I used to carry it in my wallet, but stopped that for obvious reasons. I don't count the knife blades on my Leatherman (which I am rarely without).

I carry my Dalton Scalper at work and everyone around me knows it and no one cares but a lot of co workers ask to borrow my knife from time to time. Instead of handing them an auto to flick open I carry a backup Emerson Mini CQC7. it's tough as all hell so I'm not worried about anyone screwing it up and if they do at least it's somewhat more affordable to replace. Plus I just love that knife and honestly use it more anyway. Come to think of it I gotta wonder which knife is backing up what.

Brandon

Two is One, One is None.
Exactly

Right now, my back-up is a Kershaw Vapor II that I've entirely mirror polished. Sometimes a Chive will come for the ride. My primary is an Emerson satin Commander, more than enough to deal with nasty social problems.

I don't know about that "one is none" business...
So, if I want to carry a shotgun, I would have to carry two shotguns to make sure I had one shotgun...and if I was wearing one pair of underwear then I'm really wearing no underwear...hmmm, that must be Navy logic.

Just joking, but seriously, I always have a small pocket-knife like a SAK or Micra or stockman in one pocket, and a large one-hand-folder in the another pocket.
I would never consider carrying two large one-handers because I think that's just overkill and too much weight to lug around. If my knife broke or was lost I have another one in my car.

Good luck,
Allen.

I carry a Leatherman Wave on my belt, a quality folder (large Sebenza, BM710, etc) in my right hip pocket, and a Gerber Guardian boot knife. I used to carry a Schrade clipit for junk jobs but gave it up after therapy.

I carry a Scallion for pretty much everything with a larger knife - 3.5 in. - for bigger jobs, but I rarely use it. IWB I carry a lefty Sifu for back alleys, even though I'd probably run away like a baby anyway.

If you're ever in a spot, be sure you back into trash cans. If the movies have taught me anything, it's that a trashcan lid can pretty much do anything. Except keep the trash from spilling over when rascally racoons get hungry.

Zero

Atomic Zero:

Did you ever watch the Dragnet movie? There's a part where Ackroid(sp?) is standing outside a building smoking a cig and some hoodlums try to mug him. He uses a trashcan lid as a sheild and disarms the kids, then throws one of their nunchucks in the trash and replaces the lid. On a side note, one of the punks was Stuart Quan who was my karate instructor.

Bob Q. - What kind of scales are those on your 710? I can't really tell from your picture, but that sure doesn't look like G10.

It looks like Frank Recupero's work to me. Rosewood possibly??? Anyway, I usually carry some kind of back up. Right now, I am carrying an Emerson Mini Commander and a small Douk Douk. I'm really impressed with the Douk Douk. It's light, flat, and SUPER TOUGH.
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back