Do you ever take along a knife specifically to use at table when attending a BBQ or visiting a steakhouse for a meal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you ever take along a knife (in addition to your EDC/EDCs of course) specifically to use at table when attending a BBQ or visiting a steakhouse for a meal?

If you do, what do you bring a long for the task? I've long taken a long an Opinel #12, and much more recently a Mam Operario.

The reason I ask is because I just realized that A.G. Russell offers folding knives targeted at people who take a knife along to use at table when they go out to eat. For those of us who appreciate our steaks cleanly cut and not shredded by dull knives routinely run through dishwashers.

I won't use a knife I've spent time getting as sharp as I want, cutting meat on a plate. But, I have used a cheaper type pocket mutiblade folder when the provided knife is lacking, while dining out.

No.

I have one of these, however.

5FE4D222-F4E5-4C49-9E2A-D63261135411.jpeg

It’s the cheap 420J2 model, not the VG-10 version. I thought it would be cool to have a full table setting of these, but the steel sucks at holding an edge. In it’s defense, the geometry is such that it’ll still cut after it dulls.

I like using traditional slippies (brass and stag or exotic wood) in a restaurant. A small fixed blade would also be great, like a Bark River UL Bushrafter.
If the restaurant is more of a modern place, a Small Sebenza, or the Böker Urban Trapper in titanium, great slicers, should fit the bill.
The only thing I want though, is a stainless steel blade. I don't like the taste of carbon steel.
I also keep inox Opinels with my camping kitchen.

IMG-1792.jpg

Last edited:
It’s one of the reasons I carry a knife in the first place. So not a special specific knife for the purpose. I use whatever I’m carrying. Usually a Buck 110.

I’m not afraid to cut on a plate. My knife is sharp enough to cut through a steak with little pressure, and I stop when I reach the plate. Never noticed any dulling from a plate.

I like using traditional slippies (brass and stag or exotic wood) in a restaurant. A small fixed blade would also be great, like a Bark River UL Bushrafter.
If the restaurant is more of a modern place, a Small Sebenza, or the Böker Urban Trapper in titanium, great slicers, should fit the bill.
The only thing I want though, is a stainless steel blade. I don't like the taste of carbon steel.
I also keep inox Opinels with my camping kitchen.

IMG-1792.jpg
I like how you gear your blade choice to the type of eating establishment...

Yep sure do carry my own.
(I carry my own little packets of salt too.)

No. I tend to think the AG Russell versions would be whipped out for the "look how cool I am " factor than anything else. There's nothing wrong with that but let's call it what it is. Every steak place I've ever been in has supplied cutlery adequate to the task. Anecdotal but...

Not that I’ve purposely taken a knife to use at a restaurant but I have used my knife that I had with me when their knife was not sufficient to cut with. Back when I carried a case trapper, and then with which ever edc I had on me including a Buck 110. The one that seemed to work real nice and didn’t look strange or outa place was my Boker plus Urban Trapper in vg10. It made a great steak knife!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back