Do you ever take along a knife specifically to use at table when attending a BBQ or visiting a steakhouse for a meal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh-boy-here-we-go-again.gif

Not long ago, I was browsing through emerson models and saw they have a model called the "steak knife", specifically designed for this purpose. I had no idea this is a thing people do! I've always just settled for the silverware provided.

I have used my K55k, opinel 8, or Smith&Sons Mudbug when we go out for picnics, or to food trucks at a beach where the plastic knives were insufficient.

Sure , for camping , picnics , or takeout in a motel room , we have a whole mess kit .

At a restaurant , why would I trust their food prep if they can't even set the table ?

And then everyone in the restaurant applauded.

I got thrown out of Ruth’s Chris the last time I stalked the display cart from across the room, speared the ribeye with a sharpened stick, then knapped some flint to cut it. Truth be told, it was probably the open fire I built in the dining room that sent them over the edge. Nobody appreciates primitive skills anymore.

I got thrown out of Ruth’s Chris the last time I stalked the display cart from across the room, speared the ribeye with a sharpened stick, then knapped some flint to cut it. Truth be told, it was probably the open fire I built in the dining room that sent them over the edge. Nobody appreciates primitive skills anymore.

They kicked you out because you didn’t share your meal with security.

"If" (when) necessary, I just "made do" with whatever knives I had on me. Stockman; Buck 110/Schrade 6OT/7OT; Barlow; Sunfish; Canoe; Opinel #8 ... Everything I carry is quite capable of cutting even the toughest over-cooked steak, chunk a pork, and/or drier and harder than a sun bleached bone white turkey breast.

This old/Ancient adage (possiby passed down from the Neanderthal prehistoric days) comes to mind:
"If you need a better knife to cut your steak, What you really need is a better steakhouse."

Last edited:
Not long ago, I was browsing through emerson models and saw they have a model called the "steak knife", specifically designed for this purpose. I had no idea this is a thing people do! I've always just settled for the silverware provided.

Yeah this thread is the first time I have heard about this as an idea.

But Google folding steak knife and you get a lot of hits.

There is some real money in it.

Its marked C Jul. Herbertz. Probably made in China, I don't really know. Got it off Ebay some time ago. Either way it seems well made and works very well for its intended purpose.
Very interesting. C. Julius Herbertz is a German manufacturer and distributor. I have a few of their Bavarian dress knives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back