Do you ever take along a knife specifically to use at table when attending a BBQ or visiting a steakhouse for a meal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever is in my pocket: will be pulled and put to good use!
But I will pick out certain knives for those "Special Days...".
My ZT flipper, the Gerber Empower, or my Buck 591 pop to the top of the list

Last edited:
The “Manly Man”…….
Or if needed, the Manly knife....
UcYC349.jpg

I've found this one to be a good steak knife also...

If it's a classy restaurant - probably not but I always carry one or two knives with me so if the knife fits the environment - yes... There is always something that calls for a sharp edge to be used.

gjzWEX.jpg
k2H85W.jpg

In some get-togethers with friends, barbeque events and such - yes, almost always. All my friends carry knives, why not...
Outdoor events usually have paper or plastic plates and damaging the edge is not a concern at all,
on the other hand - who would care if the knife gets dull, we all got sharpeners at home and this process is part of the fun.

3f594f.jpg

SUXEp7.jpg

But in fact, the knife I carry the most to such occasions is the one I have the less pictures of - laguiole type traditional made by Manly:

sLFtvo.jpg

VhU4DI.jpg

If it's a classy restaurant - probably not but I always carry one or two knives with me so if the knife fits the environment - yes... There is always something that calls for a sharp edge to be used.

gjzWEX.jpg
k2H85W.jpg

In some get together with friends, barbeque events and such - yes, almost always.
Outdoor events usually have paper or plastic plates and damaging the edge is not a concern at all,
on the other hand - who would care if the knife gets dull, we all got sharpeners at home and this process is part of the fun.

3f594f.jpg

SUXEp7.jpg

But in fact, the knife I carry the most to such occasions is the one I of - laguiole type traditional made by Manly:

sLFtvo.jpg

VhU4DI.jpg
"...Outdoor events usually have paper or plastic plates and damaging the edge is not a concern at all, on the other hand - who would care if the knife gets dull, we all got sharpeners at home and this process is part of the fun..."

Both highly salient points! Thanks for the great pics to boot...

Have not intentionally carried a steak specific knife, but have on a few occasions used my EDC. I Will not insult a nice steak with a crappy steak knife.
and FWIW, I've had some pretty nice steaks in or near truck stops over the years.

Picnic, maybe, but probably not.
Restaurant, absolutely not. I consider it rude and uncouth to do so.
Why is that exactly? If someone made the effort to bring their own particularly sharp and well-shaped knife in order to best cut and enjoy a steak -- cleanly sliced rather than torn, and they did so without making a big fuss or putting on a show, why would it be "rude and uncouth to do so?"

If anyone should actually notice, particularly one of the chefs or cooks, it would stand to reason they would actually be quite pleased that someone made the extra effort to best experience their efforts. Particularly given the fact that it would be highly difficult, expensive (and potentially dangerous) to ensure that all patrons received razor-sharp cutlery in a dining atmosphere. Even if it was fine dining.

Some prattle on about ostentatious knives and people acting oddly to bring attention to themselves, but it need not be that way. All those comments really boil down to nothing more than a bad case of psychological projection on the part of the commenters.

Last edited:
Wow, I wasn't expecting such a diversity of opinions on this subject.

While I have never personally used my own knife at any establishment, I would have assumed that this - being a knife lover's forum - would universally embrace the idea of doing so.

I see no harm at all in using a better tool for the task at hand - is that not why we all carry knives in the first place? I think it it would go a long way towards the stewardship of responsible knife ownership if we could all use our knives wherever the opportunity presents itself, and further expose others to our hobby.

Last edited:
Why is that exactly? If someone made the effort to bring their own particularly sharp and well-shaped knife in order to best cut and enjoy a steak -- cleanly sliced rather than torn, and they did so without making a big fuss or putting on a show, why would it be "rude and uncouth to do so?"

If anyone should actually notice, particularly one of the chefs or cooks, it would stand to reason they would actually be quite pleased that someone made the extra effort to best experience their efforts. Particularly given the fact that it would be highly difficult, expensive (and potentially dangerous) to ensure that all patrons received razor-sharp cutlery in a dining atmosphere. Even if it was fine dining.

Some prattle on about ostentatious knives and people acting oddly to bring attention to themselves, but it need not be that way. All those comments really boil down to nothing more than a bad case of psychological projection on the part of the commenters.
Be very careful about trying to project your opinions and thoughts onto others.
I said, "I would consider it rude." That is MY interpretation of MY actions.

How do YOU know what the chef would think? You only know what YOU think. Are you a chef in a fine dining establishiment?

It's all opinion. You are entitled to yours. I am entitled to mine.
You are not entitled to interpret my opinions and project onto me some thought process that you imagine is happening.

The irony here is tremendous, I'm here for it.

I’m a hick from the sticks and I don’t get to the big city to often so I guess I’d have to alter my mannerisms when I do. 😂 around my neck of the prairie at the local steakhouse it’s kinda home style but clean and it’s a more relaxed atmosphere. They serve a really great steak and the service is top notch but their wares aren’t high class.
The bbq places are also caterers and mostly use plastic ware and foam plates. You gotta be careful when using a sharp knife on a foam plate! 😆 The plastic knives, forks and spoons are sometimes the local bargain brand and they snap very easily. Save your spoon for the beans and tater salad ! Otherwise we cut the sausage and brisket with our own knife and stab it and use it in place of the fork. Lol 😝 Ribs is finger food like chicken wings and drumsticks. Larrapin good !

Be very careful about trying to project your opinions and thoughts onto others.
I said, "I would consider it rude." That is MY interpretation of MY actions.
You stated "I consider it rude and uncouth to do so." I asked why you think that? You never bothered to explain?

I specifically asked about "BBQ"s and "steakhouses." Perhaps I needed to preface that with "American BBQs and steakhouses?" There's no where in the US where bringing one's own folding steak knife to a "BBQ" or "steakhouse" would be considered "rude and uncouth." None.

"Eccentric?" Perhaps. "Nerdy?" Possibly. "Overly foodie?" Yep. But "rude and uncouth?" No way.

I though perhaps you were thinking of another type of cuisine (e.g. it WOULD be rude to bring a knife to the table in some Asian culinary traditions) or perhaps that you live in another country?

How do YOU know what the chef would think? You only know what YOU think. Are you a chef in a fine dining establishiment?

Because I have been employed as both a meat-cutter and a principal pit man in a very upscale steakhouse. I (as would the chef) would haved appreciate anyone who made any effort to improve how they enjoyed the wares of my crew and I. In addition, it's simply common sense. Sliced steak tastes better than than torn steak. That's true on the bench, on the fire and at table!

As a related example, I once went to a fancy dinner with a large group. A couple of the attendees were wine experts. As a result the server called for the sommelier. The three conferred. A red was chosen. One of the experts asked that the wine be decanted and allowed to get some air, while we had a round of cocktails.

The sommelier explained they didn't have a decanter with a large enough neck to allow enough oxygen to effect the wine in such a short time. No problem says the expert who then produced a very large decanter from a leather bag he had carried in. Was the sommelier offended because the expert had brought his own decanter? Nope! He actually lit-up with a smile.

"That's big enough for four bottles!" "Two will do." The sommelier then made a show of the decanting. It was great -- and more important, it did make the wine taste better.

It's all opinion. You are entitled to yours. I am entitled to mine.
You are not entitled to interpret my opinions and project onto me some thought process that you imagine is happening.

No, not really. Not on this one. It's not about personal opinions in this case. Like it or not, there are rules to etiquette. They differ a great deal from setting to setting, those in attendance, the location, local customs, etc., etc., hence my question

I’m a hick from the sticks and I don’t get to the big city to often so I guess I’d have to alter my mannerisms when I do. 😂 around my neck of the prairie at the local steakhouse it’s kinda home style but clean and it’s a more relaxed atmosphere. They serve a really great steak and the service is top notch but their wares aren’t high class.
The bbq places are also caterers and mostly use plastic ware and foam plates. You gotta be careful when using a sharp knife on a foam plate! 😆 The plastic knives, forks and spoons are sometimes the local bargain brand and they snap very easily. Save your spoon for the beans and tater salad ! Otherwise we cut the sausage and brisket with our own knife and stab it and use it in place of the fork. Lol 😝 Ribs is finger food like chicken wings and drumsticks. Larrapin good !
Your posting made me smile. Particularly the end. As a California native I've heard the term "larripin" used by exactly one person -- one of my middle school teachers. Then my friends and I got a hold of it and everything edible was "larripin!" (if it was good!) I still use the term today -- and still get quizzical looks! 😉

Besides doing the right thing and taking care of your family life is about experiences and for some things like using a fine fishing rod even though a cheap one would work using a fine one makes the expierence in a way better.

Using well made sharp utensils when eating a fine meal for some amplifies the experience

If your not one of these people I get it but as for uncouth I don’t think so

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back