Do you have an +$100 EDC..?

I carry and use my Sebenza 25. It's a 445 dollar knife, and it goes everywhere I go. I take good care of it, and it takes good care of me! I haven't found another knife that exceeds my expectations quite like the 25. Therefore, I quit buying. So really, it was the best investment I could've ever made! No more spending money on knives when I already have the best!

I've read a number of posts similar to yours, and it makes me consider more and more purchasing a small Sebenza.

If you all are like me, you also have other hobbies where you spend your money. With some, I've maxed out what I want to purchase there, as I'm not a collector - and I have more than enough to keep me well satisfied in that one hobby.

If I were to find a knife that suits me like your 25 suits you, I'd probably stop purchasing as well.

It doesn't bother me at all to carry multiply >$100 knives. Daily I carry my BM710 (about ~$140 but I found it for $75 BNIB) and a Sage 3 (~$160, paid $80) or Sage 1 (~$120, paid $75).

I carry a $600+ phone and ~$150 flashlight, my knives are actually the cheapest pieces of gear I carry other than small stuff.

I use all of my knives no matter the price. Sure it takes some value down, but I enjoy using my knives. I love looking at them after they've been used for a long time.
Knives in the $100 range and above that I use now:
CRK Large Sebenza
Kershaw Ricochet
Nemesis Manx

Ones I've used before:
Spyderco Para 2
BM 750 Pinnacle
BM 810 Contego
BM Ritter and Mini Ritter Grips
Spyderco Gayle Bradley
Spyderco Gayle Bradley Air
Spyderco Chaparral
Spyderco CF/Damascus Caly 3
Strider SnG Z-Wear
CRK Small CF Sebenza
ZT 0560
ZT 0550
ZT 0551
ZT 0801
ZT 0301
ZT 0350
ZT 0200
DPX HEST 2.0

And the list goes on. I love the marks use makes on my knives. It just means they've been a faithful companion and have been loved. =]

I've read a number of posts similar to yours, and it makes me consider more and more purchasing a small Sebenza.

If you all are like me, you also have other hobbies where you spend your money. With some, I've maxed out what I want to purchase there, as I'm not a collector - and I have more than enough to keep me well satisfied in that one hobby.

If I were to find a knife that suits me like your 25 suits you, I'd probably stop purchasing as well.

I am not a collector either. Like Lonny, I find the 25 is a great knife and is probably enough to keep me from needing another knife for quite a while. However, I have a 3.5 " XM-18 slicer and the 25. Those TWO knives are the knives that keep me from buying another. Some day I might get a new or different knife but I think I am good for now. For example, The FFG/Tumbled 2014 Manix 2 for $90.00 is very tempting for a "Beater" when I don't want to risk losing the XM or 25.

Like you, I have other interests as well. Recently I have started doing a bit of research on EDC flashlights. I picked up a SWM V11R and I am loving it. There are a lot of parallels between the worlds of flashlights and knives and I find myself doing a fair amount of reading and research on CPF. I will always like and appreciate knives and think flashlights will become a similar interest. I am the type of person that likes to get the best of something and use it. There are a lot of choices in the flashlight world that I haven't even really heard of yet. (Much like CRK and Hinderer when I started researching knives.)

As a side note, since I got my V11R light about a week ago, I have found that I use it more than I use my knives!

I carry my ZT0561 or 0301 daily. I don't worry about the money. I'm pretty careful with my stuff, and I don't lose things very often. There I go, I just jinxed myself...:rolleyes:

All of my EDC knives exceed the century mark. However, the one I use the most is just over it. The other two are for defensive or backup purposes. hence they get little use and stay pretty nice and sharp. I only own one safe queen and that is a 1 of 50 Nutnfancy Survive GSO 5.1. All others are intended for use, but many rarely get it. The only reason that I do not use the 5.1 mentioned above is because I already own a 5.1 for thumping on. Else I would use this knife as well.

I have been rotating a Spyderco Military and PM2 over the last few months, both are 100+. I also carry a 300$ CRK Green Beret in my bag and have used it to chop a Dog Tick tree (I have a friend that cringed when I told him that). Before that I carried a customized knife for the longest time that was probably worth about $150, at least that's what it would sale for.

I do have a few other expensive knives that I haven't carried, and probably won't. A combination of the value and the fact that I'd rather carry the Spydercos. If I ever get on a kick to carry them I certainly wouldn't hesitate.

I stopped doing the safe queen thing. So all the knives I end up keeping become users to some extent. Some more than others but they all end up getting used unless I plan on selling them down the road. To me the whole safe queen concept is flawed. For a spell I was buying 2 of each knife. One to keep pretty and one to use. Then I found myself STILL not using the user. The safe queens were even more of a waste as I didnt handle them in fear of marking them up so they just sat in the box in a fire safe. So really what did I have them for? What? keep them pristine so that if I wanted to sell them later down the road I would minimize lost money? So for every knife I spend double to own 2 examples and they both lose 20% right after buying them regardless of using them or not. In reality the safe queen thing only does 2 things. It means you spend more money because of needing a multiple of each knife and you lose even more because now you have to suffer depreciation on 2 knives not just one. Not to mention you never fully enjoy them for what they are which is a cutting tool. So I ended up selling all my safe queens. A couple really rare high end knives dont get anything but handled but more for the fact that they are big and I dont need to use them as I have so many. I say if you arent using your knives you are only experiencing a very very small portion of the hobby. And without using the knife you are unqualified to give a reliable opinion on its performance or value.

My list of $100+ users

1. Boker Kwaiken Ti flipper
2. Spyderco Domino
3. Brous blades T4
4. Todd Begg Field grade bodega (this one is a little harder to carry but its a total waste not to enjoy it.)

I have MANY $100+ dollar knives and none are safe queens. In fact, I have a spyderco tuff coming on Thursday and I can't wait to use it.

I carry a $600+ phone and ~$150 flashlight, my knives are actually the cheapest pieces of gear I carry other than small stuff.

Pretty much the same here. None of the knives I normally carry are under $100, except Spyderco Salts when sailing. None are over $450 though..

I don't even own a single $100+ knife. Fore reasons of not wanting to lose one, I have a hard time carrying $40+ knives. I love my Kershaw Leek ($13 pawn shop find) and my Sog Blink (Small, cheap, and easy to carry) because I'm not out much if I were to lose them or break them. now, I've never lost a knife*, so I've got that going for me.

*not counting the SAK Classic taken from my keychain when I dropped my keys in a bar.

I carry and use my Sebenza 25. It's a 445 dollar knife, and it goes everywhere I go. I take good care of it, and it takes good care of me! I haven't found another knife that exceeds my expectations quite like the 25. Therefore, I quit buying. So really, it was the best investment I could've ever made! No more spending money on knives when I already have the best!

I'm curious, why the 25 instead of the 21? I will give the Sebenza a try at some point but it will have to be when I feel comfortable laying out 400+ bucks on a knife. Also it will go with a large instead of a small Sebenza.

I don't buy knives to look at, every knife I own gets carried and used. All my knives are +$100 some close to $300.00. none are too good to be used, that's what their made for.

My primary EDC is my Para 2 in M390 ran me about 250.00, I replaced the smurf blue scales with the standard black ones.

Alots changed since '09, all my EDCs are more than a hundo. My gerbers are the only knives I got that cost less and I don't EDC them.

I almost always have one of my customs with me, a Pinnacle Mountain Custom Bird and Trout, except at work(I'm not allowed to carry anything but a box cutter.) Any time I'm out in the field, or tooling around in the yard I usually have my Bravo 1 in addition to my B&T, or an Esse, Or my Swamp Rat, Or 411(can't wait for the Mudd Mutt) or my...

Plus I have a fixed blade in all of my bags and one in each vehicle. I also have an Esee Izula in each jacket, so no matter what I wear I have something. I unfortunately don't have many folders. I am on my third or fourth Sog twitch, which I keep in my tackle box and keep loosing. Every time I'm about to have enough money to get a good folder I find a GREAT deal on another fixed blade I just can't pass up...

Last edited:
Back