Do you have an +$100 EDC..?

The OP brings up a good question. I hate owning stuff and not use it somethings sit in the safe for the most part but they all get carried occasionally. I own a decent amount of spydercos, most are under 100. The three BM I own all are over 100,limited mini onslaught, 51 and 42. I carry then, sometimes cut stuff with them but dont hard use any of them. The Balis get dropped a bunch and take a decent wacking but Im not trying to pry a tin can open with them. Sure you can cut stuff but Im not using most of my knives for hard use tasks. I guess carrying and hard use are two totally different things. I carry every knife I own. But I dont hard use most of them. But knifes I do hard use I find issue with beating up a 100+ knife. My GSO4.1 a knife made to take a beating, I still feel bad batoning with so I just keep it nicely oiled in the safe. Carrying it once ever so ofter but probably wouldnt use it like I use my $12 Mora camper. At the moment I would say I use my Mora for camping/hunting more than any knife and for carry my Dragonfly2 H1 SE and Endura wave. Before those folders I had a Delica wave I used so much the textured grips started to go flat, and I wore the serrations down to a straight blade. That little dragon fly is small but I dont care about jamming it into most anything and with the serrations it stays nice and sharp. Probably my third most used/hard use knife is my para2 I got it new and decided to treat it like it was a $30 knife. Dont get me wrong here, not saying you need to use your knife as a crow bar but I carry stuff that I baby. I see more value in things that I will actually use and most of the time if they are to expensive I would rather not performer tasks that could scratch or hurt the knifes feelings.

Holy smoke, I don't have many knives that are south of $100. I swear that probably sounds bad, and arrogant and I DO NOT intend for it to. I simply enjoy my knives VERY much, and my taste tends to run on the pricey side. I have several Sprint run Millies. They are absolutely my favorite pure production run knives. When you start buying the M4- Carbon fiber or the LONG discontinued BG42, or the CF M390's, they jump FAST. My current EDC is my Hinderer. I know GASP, I carry and use it. It's a knife, not a Faberge Egg or a Ming Vase. Here's what funny: a guy will go buy a pistol and shoot the barrel out of it, but he won't EDC a $200 dollar knife. Now I happen to be a LEO, so my EDC gun is more than a Bodega and a CRK Sebbie combined. I carry a HK45 w/ a Surefire X300. That's about $1400-1500 before you buy a holster. That doesn't matter, I just use it a a point of comparison. The difference in a beautiful knife collection and a beautiful gun collection?? You can carry a knife or two almost everywhere and have no issue. You can use your knife every day, you can take it out and look at it. Not so much a gun. Sorry to ramble, these are just MY opinions.... or justifications as the Mrs says. :)

I HATE the whole idea of a 'Safe Queen'. I have never, nor will I ever own a knife that I don't intend to use. My entire 250+ knife collection is my rotation, and I'd guess that at least half of them cost more than $100. I use them all. Not that OFTEN mind you, because it takes a long time to rotate through everything. A knife is a tool, not a holy relic to be placed on an alter, only to be fondled once in a while.

I've had people ask what if I had a $5K knife, would I carry it? Well, I would never HAVE a knife that cost $5k, or probably even $1K. There are so many great knives the sell for $350 or less that I simply can't imagine spending a thousand dollars on a single knife. But if I ever DID decide to drop that much coin on a knife, I guarantee that I'd EDC it.

I have 3 $100+ knives I EDC regularly:
- ZT350SW
- Spyderco PPT
- handmade Laguiole Hippocampe
And one more coming in about 5 Months (Michael Morris Friction Folder)

No Safe Queens here either. Knives are made to cut things and not to lie around on shelves or in drawers!

My zt0350 and my zt0566 are in my rotation. It took me a couple weeks to take them out of the box when I first got them though...:) They get equal time with my less expensive Rat 2, and Kershaw injection.

I HATE the whole idea of a 'Safe Queen'. I have never, nor will I ever own a knife that I don't intend to use. My entire 250+ knife collection is my rotation, and I'd guess that at least half of them cost more than $100. I use them all. Not that OFTEN mind you, because it takes a long time to rotate through everything. A knife is a tool, not a holy relic to be placed on an alter, only to be fondled once in a while.

I've had people ask what if I had a $5K knife, would I carry it? Well, I would never HAVE a knife that cost $5k, or probably even $1K. There are so many great knives the sell for $350 or less that I simply can't imagine spending a thousand dollars on a single knife. But if I ever DID decide to drop that much coin on a knife, I guarantee that I'd EDC it.

I 100% agree with Kris. I have around 20 knives that are over $100 and they all see just as much EDC time, if not more, than my cheaper knives.

^^^ This.

ZT0350 with a M390 blade carry it everyday in the left front pocket.
Gayle Bradley Spyderco carry it at work everyday.
Hinderer XM - 18 carry it everyday I am not at work instead of the GB.

At some point this year I will be purchasing a ZT0770 CF and a lefty Sebenza which will replace the ZT0350 and it will go to work duty only.

I EDC a D/A Lone Wolf Lobo or a ZT301 depending on what I'm doing. Both are S30V.

Over time my EDC rotation has virtually eliminated sub-$100 knives. Once you buy and carry superbly engineered knives it gets harder to leave them at home. At least that's true for me. Even though I have a 7 knife / 7 day EDC rotation, I find that pesky 3" Hinderer slicer flipper in my pocket more often than the schedule says it should be. Best $600 I ever spent? My head says no, but my heart . . .

I may regret it later but I plan on using my Benchmade 7505-132 for an EDC. Right now I carry a 581 Barrage that has been used for everything. But it makes it easier when you can get a new blade for your knife for 25.00. I'm not sure if BM will offer that replacement for the 7505 though.

I use my southerngrind bad monkey for an edc everyday, I don't thrash on it but I do use it often for whatever needs cutting.

None of the knives that I regularly carry with me cost more than $100. I only own one knife that cost more than $100. I will probably carry it some day, I just haven't worked my way to it yet.

All my knives cost more than 100 and are also made in the USA:) I usually have a UTX70 on me and a Houge EX-2 in my briefcase.

I tend to buy and sell quite a few knives. I seldom have much on hand, as it is sold when I buy another. However, some knives I never sell, because they ARE THAT GREAT, and that means that I carry a CRK large Sebenza or Umnumzaan every day.
I buy just about all of my knives on the Exchange here, ANIB or as-new or about that. I don't worry about worm-trails on titanium scales. I do NOT buy if the blade has scratches. Most of my CRK's bought here are about $325 for an average buy.... used Sebenza.

Once you start on traditional customs the price is a long way past 100 dollars. Most of my knives are above 100 dollars and I find them more fun to carry than less expensive ones. I very seldom use a knife hard so YMMV.

Back