Do you have any dealbreakers?

Chisel grinds.
Nail breaker folders.
So called supersteels that take super skill or equipment to sharpen.
No guards on fixed blades - for me guards are a must.
Scandi grinds.
Recurve blades.
Serrations.
Carbon steel on folders.

Last edited:
Makers of fixed blades who can’t be bothered to deliver the knife with a functional sheath. A fixed blade without a sheath is fit only for the kitchen; and I refuse to buy half a knife and headache.

n2s

I agree to a point. Sheaths are personal what works for me might not work for you. You are much better off making or having one made that’s suits your style, preference of carry, and body type.

Some of my knives have 2 or 3 sheaths depending on how I want to carry it.

So if it will tack on any significant price I’d rather have it shipped without a sheath than one I won’t use.

I’m with you about the steel. I do like Sandvik 14C28N though.

Yesterday my wife and I went to a gun show and one of the exhibitors had some beautiful Kershaw knives that were half way reasonable in price.

Unfortunately they weren’t made out of very good steel. Needless to say, I don’t own one.

I understand completely. I’m a fan of stainless steel and 154CM fulfills all of my minimum requirements (good corrosion resistance , easy to sharpen , affordable).

Actually , I only have a few knives currently that have 154CM whereas years ago almost all of my folders had it. Most of the companies/knives I’m interested in now use S30V as their standard. And that’s fine with me. But I remember when 154CM was all the rage. I must be getting older.

hollow grinds, sub-par steel, no finger guard, other than that I like many knife styles.

1. Pocket clip does not allow for left hand, tip up positioning.
2. Recurves
3. Serrations

I understand completely. I’m a fan of stainless steel and 154CM fulfills all of my minimum requirements (good corrosion resistance , easy to sharpen , affordable).

Actually , I only have a few knives currently that have 154CM whereas years ago almost all of my folders had it. Most of the companies/knives I’m interested in now use S30V as their standard. And that’s fine with me. But I remember when 154CM was all the rage. I must be getting older.

I have four Benchmades made out 154CM. I find it to be a decent steel that is easy to maintain.

I dislike:

-Overly complex mechanisms that have easily broken springs.
-Artistic or gimmicky designs that take away from the practical function of the knife.
-Dangerously poor build quality, regardless of price point.
-Dishonest practices by the manufacturer.

No thumb studs. Due to a nasty iguana bite suffered on my main thumb they’re to uncomfortable to use.

As a Chicagoan, I prefer a blade under 3” to avoid hassle from law enforcement.

Chisel grinds.
Nail breaker folders.
So called supersteels that take super skill or equipment to sharpen.
No guards on fixed blades - for me guards are a must.
Scandi grinds.
Recurve blades.
Serrations.
Carbon steel on folders.
So, I guess I'm not the only one who won't be seen buying a Puukko :D

I feel the same way.

I got rid of my Benchmade Volli just because it was assisted.

Too bad. The Volli can be de-assisted pretty easily. I was pretty "meh" with my 581 Barrage (same mechanism) at first. After de-assisting, it became my most carried knife for years.

I'm in a stupor here that no hard core Spydie fan has had a triggering moment (and either had a meltdown or went to a safe space) since the guy on Page 2 mentioned Compression Locks. I'm a long time Spyderco man (since the 90s-carried an early Endura to Honduras and almost lost it to the airline pilot) and have carried them almost exclusively since 2013 (carry TWO on me daily EDC) but I agree with that. On the official site I swear I think some mention it thinking Sal (the designer) will see their names asking for more models and raving about it thinking they're getting "brownie" points (Sal's more savvy than that though.)

Too bad. The Volli can be de-assisted pretty easily. I was pretty "meh" with my 581 Barrage (same mechanism) at first. After de-assisting, it became my most carried knife for years.

I considered de-assisting it.

I loved the Volli but, there were other issues. I found the blade to tall for certain tasks and to thin for others. At the time I felt it just was not the best for my needs.

Effectively, the Volli was a cross between my Griptilian and my US made Kershaw Zing, both fine knives.

Maybe I will try one again sometime.

For me it is mainly about lock bars. Cant stand knives that
1. Slight lockbar pressure and blade wont deploy
2. Painful lockbar edges that kill your thumb after half dozen closings
3. Lockbar pressure too stiff that you get thumb fatigue
4. No relief in handle to permit easy access to the lockbar.

Yes, I am a fidgeter and the ruin the knife for me.

As for other things, my tastes change so much that what I might dislike today I might kill for tomorrow.

Not made in the U.S. is a deal breaker for me. If it isn't made here I no longer buy it.
Assisted is a no go for me.
Honestly, at this point with rate exception folders are a no go for me.
I hate leather sheaths and will never buy another knife that has one.

Back