Do you keep your knife boxes/packaging?

jeffsenpai

Gold Member
I try to keep all the boxes and material that come with my knives, but my shelves were getting slowly overloaded. I decided to purge some of the boxes of my cheapy user knives that I know will have no real value, but I still held on to as many as I could. I know I am still missing boxes since many of my knives I bought second-hand, so that kind of bothers the completionist in me. I was also surpised by the number of zipper pouches I have, as they seem to be more and more commonplace as of recent. Do you keep these around?

pXmxIJy.jpg

I keep most of mine, have a drawer stuffed full about to the brim now lol im not sure why I keep them though, I've never been one to stress too much about packaging as long as the knife is okay

I keep my boxes and papers. However, I'm thinking of ditching the shipping boxes that the knife boxes came in.

By the way, I don't have as many knives a the OP.

I tossed a bunch of boxes years ago - mainly, as you said, users that wouldn't get top dollar anyway. Surprisingly, some people still want/expect all packaging with users; and not having it will impact the price...and maybe the sale.

I only I keep the shipping boxes for certain fixed blades. Mainly the larger ones, just in case.

I tossed a bunch of boxes years ago - mainly, as you said, users that wouldn't get top dollar anyway. Surprisingly, some people still want/expect all packaging with users; and not having it will impact the price...and maybe the sale
It's a sad reality. When I know that I'm going to be holding on to a knife for a long time and if I really love it, the packaging becomes irrelevant to me honestly. I really ONLY keep them for resale if possible

I like to keep the original-packaging. Kind of gives me a little sense of history, regarding the collection. I'll usually store the blades not in the current-rotation, back-in-the-boxes they came in. Plus, you never know, when a blade may become a 'classic', and the original-box kind of adds-to-it.

kAJM9FCh.jpg

6hvDyiCh.jpg

I like to keep the original-packaging. Kind of gives me a little sense of history, regarding the collection. I'll usually store the blades not in the current-rotation, back-in-the-boxes they came in. Plus, you never know, when a blade may become a 'classic', and the original-box kind of adds-to-it.

kAJM9FCh.jpg

6hvDyiCh.jpg

Exactly! I will kick myself if I ended up throwing away a collectible/classic box. Like that Spyderco you have, sometimes the boxes are just neat themselves.

I keep my boxes (well one box currently) for resale purposes only. As others mentioned, I was surprised to learn that is a major expectation from people looking to buy. Everything I own is subject to selling, except my dog, so it makes sense to keep them to facilitate a faster sale down the road. If it wasn't for resale purposes, I would not keep them.

Yes I keep all the boxes, paperwork, baggies, etc to my knives.

If I buy a knife off the exchange, I prefer to have the correct box + paperwork + etc that came with the knife as well. If the box and other items aren't available, it (usually) isn't a deal breaker.

I keep my boxes (well one box currently) for resale purposes only. As others mentioned, I was surprised to learn that is a major expectation from people looking to buy. Everything I own is subject to selling, except my dog, so it makes sense to keep them to facilitate a faster sale down the road. If it wasn't for resale purposes, I would not keep them.

Guess I'm the crazy one here. I keep all my boxes, and I never sell anything.

My "BK12" (Ritter RSK MK2 Perseverance) came in a plastic bag. It's now discontinued; and (occasionally) somewhat sought after. I responded to somebody that was looking for one (I had an extra - it seemed like the right thing to do), and the guy wanted the original packaging. When I told him it came in a plastic bag, he didn't believe me...and said if I'd lie about that, he couldn't really trust anything I said about the knife.
Apparently he said something to someone, asked around, or did some research, because he emailed me a couple weeks later. I can be pretty understanding; but that wasn't one of those times, lol. I've still got that knife, and it's still not for sale.

Mister Coffee said:
Guess I'm the crazy one here. I keep all my boxes, and I never sell anything.
Not knowing what you have, I can't comment on whether the boxes are crazy; but not selling certainly isn't. I hate selling; but it is occasionally necessary as I try to cut back on the number of knives around here

Last edited:
I used to throw them out, but over the years I've learned that (unbeknownst to me) I'm really "renting" many of my knives, and that potential next owners tend to prefer them with boxes. ;) So now I keep my boxes. :D

Yes, I like spyderco , case xx , knives and if I desire to sell, the buyers basically always ask for them

Yes, like to keep the boxes and paperwork. I keep all knives in boxes, non-users are kept in a less used closet to protect from moisture/humidity.

Last edited:
Only the better stuff that has some real collector interest , resale value , or personal meaning .

If you tend to never part with anything , this stuff can really pile up over the years into a hoarder stash , unless you're a bit selective .

I like to keep the paperwork and any extra parts for the knife in the box , just so I can find it latter and know what it goes with .

I would definitely keep a knife company founder's signed box , like this one :

Back