1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Do you like tanto blades?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by TheEdge01, Aug 9, 2019.

Do you like tanto blades?

1. I like them.

69 vote(s)
    68.3%
  2. I don’t like them.

32 vote(s)
    31.7%
  1. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    This one is really growing on me, the secondary point just dives through tape when opening boxes:)

Screenshot_20190810-100346_Gallery.jpg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  2. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I only own one a CRK ... many tantos don't appeal to me by their appearance but they can be useful for somethings ... kind of like wharncliffes ... I like some of them and for certain uses ... but only own a couple ... until you get into slip joints and then I like a secondary blade to be a wharncliffe or sheepsfoot (with the flat cutting edge) ...

in general I prefer a drop point or spearpoint style blade for most uses ... and the sheepsfoot with rounded belly like the Insingo style ...

TheEdge01 likes this.
  3. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Wow! That's a real looker.

You did not show me that when we got together.

How have things been?

4. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I voted don't like. I had one or two tantos back in the day but I currently own none. I don't like the looks and I just prefer a straight, drop, or wharncliff/sheeps foot.

TheEdge01 likes this.
  5. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Been good, how about you?:D Picked up this Diskin Revolution at Blade Show a few weeks after we got together, otherwise I definitely would have shown it off;)

6. IUKE12

IUKE12

Nov 25, 2005
    I have no problem with a tanto blade or anyone who chooses to use one. Personally, they are not for me as I have no good use for one. I can't think of a better tool for ventilating car hoods though.

TheEdge01 and onekerf like this.
  7. Alsharif

Alsharif Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2018
    There are only two tanto folders that I like, the Brian Nadeau Evo Typhoon and the Liong Mah Lanny. Almost pulled the trigger on the Lanny multiple times and own the Evo Typhoon

8. mt666tm

mt666tm

Nov 20, 2012
    I love tantos. That is all.

TheEdge01, unwisefool and onekerf like this.
  9. WillB

WillB Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2007
    In my meager collection, most are tantos.

10. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    I don't like or dislike them.
    I suppose for their intended purpose (as I umderstand it) they are good.
    However, I have no training in the martial arts or knife fighting, so I have no need of a tanto blade.

TheEdge01 likes this.
  11. tgtodd

tgtodd

Dec 19, 2015
    I like my M4 583

This one is growing on me!
    Osoraku Zuukuri Tanto
    [​IMG]

TheEdge01 likes this.
  12. atdegs

atdegs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 17, 2019
    Never cared for them, mostly aesthetically.

13. Timothy 75

Timothy 75

Aug 11, 2011
    A lot of people have said they dont need a tanto? I always figured it was just another option like clip point or wharcliff, is there something Im missing? Are there tasks that work best with a tanto? Prying maybe?

14. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :) I blame Lynn Thompson ! :p And his Americanized Tanto knives .

Very cool and sexy exotic stuff for me way back when they first came out . Still have that Master Tanto , and Recon Tanto etc . That got me started .

Kinda hooked into all those Japanese Samurai classic movies I had seen .

A short katana/ samurai sword thingy ! Very exciting . :eek:

I eventually got my fill , but still love 'em . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Probably not the best practical utility blade pattern , but more useful than might some think . ;)

GIRLYmann likes this.
  15. PiercedBill

PiercedBill

Nov 15, 2014
    I have several of both styles, and enjoy them all. :thumbsup:

16. Owen K.

Owen K. Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2016
    It depends.