Do you own multiple sharpening systems?

I have so far a spyderco sharp maker I've had for a couple of years, I was always too afraid to sharpen and getting no where with some examples I saw online. I soon realized I needed to fix the edge to conform to the angles of the sharp marker. I got a blazing edge on a kitchen knife. I saw some reviews on the KME and I got their entire line up and I've been sharpening and resharpening to hone in on my newly acquired skill.

I now am looking at the tsprof kit as it seems like a larger scale kit that can take care of larger knives, and it seems built to last a lifetime. Do I need it? Hell no. Do I want a tsprof? Hell yes.

Are there any of you out there that have multiple sharpening systems? If so, do you find yourself using them for specific purposes? I'd like to hear others stories.

I have the IM-313, several of the same system. One is set up with diamond stones.
The other has traditional oil stones. I really enjoy working a knife on these large stones. The blade steel dictates which Tri-hone I work it on. DM

I have a KME and 2 Tsprof's and the only way parting with my Tsprof's is when I die period,the Tsprof is a well built system and just be sure to ask questions to guys like me or anyone on the forum about them as they have been known to make change's and not even tell George their dealer in the USA I don't think that's going to be a problem anymore because George and Paul from Tsprof talk once a week now about any changes or concerns about the system.

If you are going to get a Tsprof be sure and get the reinforced springs for whatever clamp's you get with the system and any extra clamp's you order at the time of purchase,they do not deflect as much and you will get a more accurate edge because of it.

If you have any questions or concerns about the Tsprof I'd be happy to answer any question's you may have,I own all of the clamp's they have for the system and the Lens Kit as well.

Thanks! which model is best? Looking at the lite version but not sure which is the best one to go with. This also seems compatible with multiple stone manufacturers (quite possibly kme as well?) What stones do you use aside from the ones it comes with? As for the springs, can I get them from statesllc?

Do you still find yourself using the KME for anything now that you have the tfprofs?

I have a KME and 2 Tsprof's and the only way parting with my Tsprof's is when I die period,the Tsprof is a well built system and just be sure to ask questions to guys like me or anyone on the forum about them as they have been known to make change's and not even tell George their dealer in the USA I don't think that's going to be a problem anymore because George and Paul from Tsprof talk once a week now about any changes or concerns about the system.

If you are going to get a Tsprof be sure and get the reinforced springs for whatever clamp's you get with the system and any extra clamp's you order at the time of purchase,they do not deflect as much and you will get a more accurate edge because of it.

If you have any questions or concerns about the Tsprof I'd be happy to answer any question's you may have,I own all of the clamp's they have for the system and the Lens Kit as well.

Hi,
My first "system", is little paper/cardboard wedges/triangles I put on my sharpening stones.
And then this last year I flipped it, made big paper/cardboard wedges/triangles and I put my sharpening stone on them.
jig-sharpening-january-and-free-hand-february.1544736/#post-17825038
For my third guided freehand system, I spent some time with a binder clip clipped to the spine of a blade. not the only one

I'm not ready for more systems :D

I ordered the lite version with all the attachments, and reinforced springs

Sharpmaker and KME with Diamonds. I also use wet/dry sandpaper glued to glass blanks. I mount the sandpaper onto the glass Scotch Photo Mount made by 3M. It's a great glue. To clean glass use Acetone, Goof-off or Goo-Gone. If you search around you can find sandpaper up to 12,000 grit which equals 2 Microns. Make sure you get the paper really flat and use it the same way you use a strop, only a downward or away from the edge.
Have fun.

Are there any of you out there that have multiple sharpening systems? If so, do you find yourself using them for specific purposes? I'd like to hear others stories.

Yes.
But.
Only the Edge Pro Apex matters. It does what I need to do. Super dependable, repeatable . . . extremely satisfying edges as far as how they cut. Folds down fairly flat; fits in a little bag. Is light weight and portable. I can hold ALL the stones required in one hand. I don't need any kind of strop at all to get hair whittling and tree topping edges.

As far as the Sharp Maker many / most of my knives are sharpened shallower than what it is designed for. Also I am an edge trailing sharpener once I have reprofiled and apexed the edge . . . the Sharp Maker is used edge leading. I have finally determined it isn't for me. I do use the Ultra Fine Triangle ceramic rod for free hand touch ups on some alloys and love it for that.

Sharpmaker with med, fine and Ultrafine Spyderco Stones plus SiC Stones from Congress Tool, 240, 400 and 600gr

DMT DuoSharp with XC,C,F and EF Stones

Hapstone V7 w/ Angle Cube and assortment of SiC, Aluminum Oxide and Venev Diamond Stones

Each of my systems get used and is dependent on how quickly or how detailed I need to be in order to reach my goal, and the type of blade steel being sharpened.

Last edited:
I have a variety of systems and each is used according to mood, inclination or need.

For the greatest enjoyment, (and occasional frustration), I gravitate toward freehand sharpening. This may entail the use of bench stones from DMT, Spyderco, Norton Crystolon and India, or my new and as yet unused Shapton Glass stones.

For quick and dirty, Sharpmaker enhanced with diamond and Congress Moldmaster rods.

For precision, the Edge Pro Apex with a variety of OEM and aftermarket stones.

A Gatco clamp system, (similar to Lansky), which I was very generously gifted by John Anthon of GATCO, has been employed with DMT Diafolds and Magna Guide quite successfully in the past.

Even have a recently purchased Buck Honemaster which I purchased more as a curiosity and something just to have than with the intention of putting it to a great deal of use.

Various strops...leather, wood, etc.

If you have a decent sized knife collection, it seems quite normal to have accumulated and employed a lot of sharpening paraphernalia over the years.

My dirty little (guilty) secret is that I seem to enjoy the tools of maintenance as much as the knives themselves. But don't tell anyone...we'll just keep that to ourselves.

From reading everyone's comments it's clear that there are so many methods and unique styles which is awesome.

We both share a secret, I too love the tools just as much as knives themselves. Sharpening also has a meditative effect.

I have a variety of systems and each is used according to mood, inclination or need.

For the greatest enjoyment, (and occasional frustration), I gravitate toward freehand sharpening. This may entail the use of bench stones from DMT, Spyderco, Norton Crystolon and India, or my new and as yet unused Shapton Glass stones.

For quick and dirty, Sharpmaker enhanced with diamond and Congress Moldmaster rods.

For precision, the Edge Pro Apex with a variety of OEM and aftermarket stones.

I also have a Gatco clamp system, which I was generously gifted by John Anthon of GATCO, which I have used with DMT Diafolds and a Magna Guide quite successfully in the past.

Even have a recently purchased Buck Honemaster which I purchased more as a curiosity and something just to have than with the intention of putting it to a great deal of use.

Various strops...leather, wood, etc.

If you have a decent sized knife collection, it seems quite normal to have accumulated and employed a lot of sharpening paraphernalia over the years.

My dirty little (guilty) secret is that I seem to enjoy the tools of maintenance nearly as much as the knives themselves. But don't tell anyone...we'll just keep that to ourselves.

Had a Sharpmaker but it just didn't do the job for me partially due to the limited angles and partially that while I found it ok for touch ups that was about all it was good for. Now using the KME and Ken Onion Work Sharp with Blade Grinding attachment.
I bought the Ken Onion and hated it until I added the blade grinder attachment, now I love it, the blade grinding attachment never comes off of it.

Two Lanskys and stones. Most recently, experimentig with 1x30 belt sander. Good results so far, but still learning.

Had a Sharpmaker but it just didn't do the job for me partially due to the limited angles and partially that while I found it ok for touch ups that was about all it was good for. Now using the KME and Ken Onion Work Sharp with Blade Grinding attachment.
I bought the Ken Onion and hated it until I added the blade grinder attachment, now I love it, the blade grinding attachment never comes off of it.
That blade attachment looks like it performs great, i will soon have a garage. This may be great for a table top garage grinder

I've tried some "systems" through the years but always fall back to stones ... water or oil ... now some diamond thrown in ...

just decided it was time to upgrade all those so the last year I've replaced all my stones for better stones that aren't used up and some that will sharpen the newer steels ...

I've been tempted to buy a Wicked Edge ... and someday I probably will but for now just good old stones still give me everything I need.

I've got a whole barnet full of sharpening systems. Red ones, green ones, whit ones. They all work well. Just drink all the coffee before turning it over to sharpen your knife!

I haven't tried this method yet, all the edges I have in the house have been meticulously sharpened. I may sharpen a butter knife and try the good old coffee cup for the experience

Back