• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Do you pay MAP?

Do you pay MAP?

• I NEVER pay full Map.

Votes: 12 14.0%
  • I have no choice; if I want it new, I’m paying MAP or waiting for the discontinuation sale.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I’ll only pay MAP for a sprint/exclusive/etc. Otherwise no MAP for me.

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • I buy exclusively on the secondary market.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • I pay MAP when I have to, but I have other means (besides secondary market) to get knives below MAP.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I have an employee purchase program/military discount/etc. and can often purchase below MAP

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • I only buy new if it’s on sale.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • I have a local retailer that sells below MAP from their storefront.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I have a retailer that hooks me up because I’m a loyal customer or I have a connection/bro deal.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 16 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not much about buying MAP or not. But given the price increase, I feel foolish for me to sell my knives cheap in order to get new ones. My new 940-1501 and new Manix 2 DLC M4 came to mind, sold each for $140 or so and now want them again.

If I had to guess, I'd say I pay MAP about 10% of the time. On one hand, I've missed out on lots of knives waiting for sub-MAP deals to come along, that never materialized. On the other hand, watching and waiting works out for the best most of the time; either I lose interest, or eventually find the deal I'm looking for.

If I want new I pretty much have to pay MAP. With the constant price increases, I’m doubt that I’ll make any new knife purchases this year.

I normally purchase used. Most of what I like has been discontinued anyway.

Recently bought a Spydrco D’Allara 3 that was priced below MAP. I figured prices were only going up because the knife was recently discontinued. When the retailers shelves are bare, prices will climb.

I never have , but I can't say for certain that I never will . :rolleyes:

Also , when OP demands compliance in BOLD TYPE ...I must obey :eek::poop:

Living in Canada makes retail purchases nasty due to the recent border kerfuffles. Lost a Doc Shiffer to CBSA in November and still haven't received notice of seizure.
If you go look at some of our online retailers, you'll see their prices exceed MAP by a serious margin. I don't bother buying retail anymore. I only buy direct from maker if something is extremely limited and likely to be flipped for stupid prices once they are all gone. (eg. I got in on the midtech GT Razels this weekend)
I was born with a 4 leaf clover in my spleen so I get a lot of knives via raffles on Facebook, not bad getting a 5-600 dollar piece for 40-50 bucks.

Thankfully I pretty much have everything I want from the production world barring a couple of the newer WE's.
My direct purchases are almost all midtech-y now and 9/10 times come from the hands of another collector who is passing it on. I haven't outright bought a knife that was in active production for some time. Guess I fit in w/ option 4 best, almost exclusively buy secondary.

I pay MAP for Spydercos, I can generally get BMs for below MAP since I live near a local dealer (not online at all) that sells below MAP due to not advertising/being online.

I bought a Freek for like $92 brand new last year, I believe MAP was around $112...thankfully they don't sell Spyderco or I would be broke!

I had to look up what 'MAP' meant. I had always heard of MSRP, but not MAP. Interesting.

What Do MAP and MSRP Mean?
You know that MAP stands for "minimum advertised price." MSRP stands for "manufacturer's suggested retail price."

Manufacturers are not allowed to require retailers to price products at a set amount. So many manufacturers give retailers a suggested price (MSRP) along with a minimum advertised price (MAP).

The MAP is not a minimum price for the product — the retailer can still price an item lower than the MAP. The retailer just can't publicly advertise any price lower than the MAP.

Manufacturers are not allowed to require retailers to price products at a set amount. So many manufacturers give retailers a suggested price (MSRP) along with a minimum advertised price (MAP).

The MAP is not a minimum price for the product — the retailer can still price an item lower than the MAP. The retailer just can't publicly advertise any price lower than the MAP.

The sticky part is the word "advertise". To many manufacturers that means visible anywhere on your site. Others will tell you that if you sell it below MAP period, your supply will be in jeopardy. Many have rules against "add to cart for real price" or "email for price" wording as well. So, it is really up to the maker to press their policies as most little guys can't fight them in court.

I think this thread has run its course.
I kinda wish it lasted longer in GKD, so as to get a wider sampling.

Most surprising to me is the low number to respond they know a storefront that sells below MAP. When I used to lurk the Benchmade forum, someone was always claiming they had a brick & mortar where they could buy anything at a discount.

Thanks to all that responded. I’m glad I could learn a bit about cheese along the way. :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back