Do you really need to be this strong to forge?

As you all may know, my son Graham helps me build all my forges. He's a really strong kid that loves to forge and make mini swords. Here's a video of a strongman competition he participated in a couple days ago, at the age of 16. He won the teen division and placed 3rd in the mens novice open. I'm so proud of him that I wanted to share it on here.

The weights lifted were:
180 lbs. overhead press
395 lbs. axle deadlift
240 lbs. farmer hold (in each hand)
450 lbs. yoke carry
500 lbs. tire flip
185 lbs. Atlas stone

[youtube]hptj7YhfX24[/youtube]

Update: 2016 USStrongman Nationals, 2nd place finish
[youtube]TxQvxNJ0SAA[/youtube]

Last edited:
A lot of people don't know how hard that type of lifting really is. Strongman, bodybuilding and Olympic lifting are three very different sports. He hasn't even reached his the beginning of his "natural strength" phase of his life. And he's a long way away from his "man strength" when he gets older. Couple that with the training he's doing now, and he will be extremely strong.

He was in a powerlifting meet back in January and failed his final deadlift attempt at 385 lbs. At this strongman competition he managed to lift that 14 times with the tires. Plus, the strongman meets moves much faster and is more interesting to watch than the 7+ hour long power meets.

A single deadlift of 385 is no small feat. Most people who go to the gym never deadlift period. The ones that do rarely reach 3 plates per side (315lbs).

And yes, strongman contests are a lot of fun to watch versus the one-person-at-a time powerlifting meets.

For a 16 year old? Very impressive! Congratulations to the both of you. Mike

that boy is a boss. Most 16 year olds are just lifting their playstation remotes and mountain dew cans. Impressive numbers. I've been lifting for years, and those numbers make me nervous lol.

Awesome! Strong kid.

I used to do some of that. All I'll say is make sure he is careful with atlas stones and similar lifts. It's real hard to keep your back from rounding with lifts like that. All it takes is one bad one to have a screwed up back for the rest of your life. Ask me how I know... :(

Looks like a good kid. I was a human forklift when I was young and now have a lot of back issues. Please encourage him to be cautious with his technique!

Wow. Remind me to watch later today the video. Just a low-speed data plan here. It chokes on videos.
If he lifts wisely, he will be fit later on. I'm disabled, so no strong man for me, but after what will be this year nine years of exercising, there are some minor injuries. Be sure to remind him to care for his joints! I used to be able to on a 45 degree leg press push 350-450, even one legged with the weaker side raw 30-50 reps. Walking toe-heel for 15 years had some advantages, not many. That only added to my arthritis, and am not yet thirty.

If he maintains himself, he ought to be fine. Everyone has genetic restrictions.

Now, just exorcizing ol' beelzebub. ;p

If anyone is in central Illinois(Strasburg) on July 12th, we'd love to have you come and watch his next event. With his confidence boost and proper weights for his age, he should perform even better at the next event.
Here's a link to the event's website:
http://www.briansforce.com/

Well, the strongman competition took place last over the weekend. It was a much bigger competition than we expected, with 43 total contestants. Graham won his teen division, won the men's under 202lbs. division, totaled 5th place among all men, and "Top Overall Strongman" which is awarded after calculating everyone's score based on age/weight.

[youtube]KQ5miGMYDwI[/youtube]

Back