Do you use a lanyard to carry your knife?

Do you use a lanyard to carry your edc knife?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I am just curious because lanyard holes are so prominent in knife design yet I rarely see photos of people using them

I can see the positive in helping secure knife, but I use the knives for food while camping or motorcycle touring making cleaning an issue.

I used to really be into lanyards and cool beads but over time took also most all of them off.

I answered yes to the survey because usually carry a Reeve and like their small tether.

Last edited:
Lanyards and lanyard charms is a whole knife sub culture. I believe there is a thread here where they post pics of all their lanyard set ups. I find it very cool especially with the cool charms, you can really personalize your knives.

No thanks. First thing I did when I bought my Inkosi was to take it apart and remove the lanyard.

When I was ascending those western peaks, mountaineering and backpacking, I used a 15” nylon lanyard w/a chrome clip on my SAK, the kind you use to hang a whistle around your neck, but that’s the only time. I’d loop it to my belt then clip it to my SAK and drop it in my front right pocket. When you’re 12,000’ up a mountain or 20+ miles from the train head losing your knife can be detrimental to your backcountry journey.

Last edited:
I've only recently started to embrace them after many years of never using them. On the folders I've tried them on I have definitely noticed that they help me to get a slightly better purchase on the knife while pulling it out of the pocket, not that I've ever had an issue with that without them. There are also some knives I see posted here where I just like the look, or the owner is just putting their own touch on their possession, which IMO there's nothing wrong with that. That being said, I also have knives that for various reasons I would never want them on, so I understand the reasoning with both sides.

When I purchased a small Sebenza I decided I liked it with a lanyard, and left one on. The difference was changing it out from the black lanyard it came with to the blue that I liked better. It is not enough to attract a lot of attention, and I like it on that knife. None of my other folding knives have lanyards, and only one of my fixed blades has a paracord loop to go around my wrist.

Usually not, but there are a few exceptions.

I have a lanyard (some would say fob) on one of my umnumzaan as it sees frequent cargo pocket carry, and it’s much easier to access that way. I have a fob on my small Inkosi because it provides a little extra something for the grip. Both of the above were tied by me.

I have a pair of small Sebenzas that I’ve left the factory lanyards on, for no particular reason.

Spyderco seems to be the most devoted to lanyard holes. I do not run a lanyard on any of my Spydercos.

i did not reply to the the pole, as my answer isn’t binary.

I use a 32 inch SAK chain lanyard on my 4 blade Scout/Camp knives or SAK Huntsman.

None of my other knives (trapper, stockman, canoe, Barlow, Moose, Buck 110, Old Timer 7OT, pen knives, and a few fixed blades) have a bail.

My CRKs came with the lanyards. They don't bother me, so I left them on. I've tried lanyards on other folders & ended up taking them off.

not in most time. But the lanyard hole is necessary because I will use it when I am on my kayak fishing. My waterway is attached to the kayak and my EDC folder is attached to me, both of them can't float...

Back