Do you use a lanyard to carry your knife?

Do you use a lanyard to carry your edc knife?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Been trying on some knives but but the only lanyard that seem to stay are attached to the small drop in pocket type knives. If the knife clips to my pocket the lanyard normally doesn’t stay long.

The most useful ways I've seen them used on folders is when the handles were too short for a confident grip. The ones I saw had essentially extended the grip with a lanyard. I personally don't care for them.

I only have fixed blades and I never used lanyard hole on any of it.
I see no use for one.

I'll put my knife back to sheath rather than have it dangling from my arm and possibly cut me while I do something else.
Since I'm using fixed blade for EDC, small part of knife handle is always sticking out of my pocket and is just covered by my shirt. So I can just grab my knife directly instead of pulling something else.
Having lanyard sticking out while moving or anything else can also pull your knife out of the sheath which sucks.
It would annoy me to have something dangling from my knife while I use it. Not to mention it would also be kinds distracting.

I'm still glad to have lanyard holes on my knives, but I'd never put anything on them unless I'm actually going to jungle, which will probably never happen.

Depends on the knife and how I'm carrying it.
This week I'm carrying a little Gerber LST in the front mesh pocket of my Maxpedition micro, and this " lanyard pull " makes it easy to draw the knife without removing the whole thing from my pocket.

I wouldn't need it if the knife was just loose in my pocket.

I have tried lanyards on both fixed and folders but sooner or later in the actual use of the knife it gets difficult to deal with, so now I don’t bother.

Usually I don’t put lanyard on my knives.... but there are some exceptions :)
I have a lanyard on my PM2, on one of my SAKs and on some CRKs

No I don’t mess with lanyards. I don’t like them as they tend to get in the way one way or another - especially while trying to clean my knives I dislike how they stay wet. Also have had a knife get snagged on a cord of my jacket once and be pulled out of my pocket as I was on a hunting trip. It was a small Sebenza 21 and LUCKILY my buddy was walking behind me and saw it falling so he picked it and gave it back to me, otherwise it was a goner as there was about 8 inches of snow on the ground that day!

I think some guys can make some really cool looking lanyards with dope beads, but as far as functionality goes - I have never been able to really subscribe to them! — I will say however I usually do leave lanyards on my CRK knives just because I feel as though that’s how that knife was intended to be -but I’m awful careful while wearing that jacket (haha)!
Take it easy!

Absolutely demanded by my customers.

4wzhH67.jpg

The only ones I don't them on are kitchen knives and leather working knives:

iD11XFL.jpg

My sheaths give firm retention and the lanyard or thong as we call them assist in drawing the knife out of the sheath. Kinda brace your pinky and ring fingers against it.

Nx0OJCy.jpg

This little vid shows what I'm talking about, both with retention and the use of the lanyard to assist in the draw:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtKcsUfjAeM/

Last edited:
Lanyards and lanyard charms is a whole knife sub culture. I believe there is a thread here where they post pics of all their lanyard set ups. I find it very cool especially with the cool charms, you can really personalize your knives.
Here's that thread
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-official-lanyard-thread.1460544/

I really like using them because it's my main method of carry.
I dislike pocket clips, and most traditionals don't come with clips so I need a lanyard to keep larger knives vertical in the pocket, which is far more comfortable than having them tend to lie sideways if loose.

Key Strap by D P, on Flickr

I install holes on many of my Traditionals. Besides allowing vertical carry, I like the possibility of adding some "bling" if I want to as well.

Tribal by D P, on Flickr

Jacks by D P, on Flickr

Not everyday.
But there are certain scenarios where I will attach a lanyard...
Boating or white water rafting, hiking in snow, wading across a creek or pond, biking or 4-wheeling, mountain climbing, etc...

No. You said edc knife. My edc knife is a folder. No lanyards on folders for me.

Like many others, I have a lanyard on my fixed blade for camping/hiking. Do I use it? Usually no. But it is on the fixed blade.

Around half the time, I carry a small fixed blade in my pocket with a lanyard attaching the sheath to my belt. Sometimes, I don’t attach it to my belt and just leave the slipknot poking out of my pocket. I don’t use them on folders.

My knives are all folders--most all with clips which I regularly utilize. I have lanyards--fobs, if you must--on nearly all of my knives. They're an easy way to personalize the knives for me, I like the way they look, I rarely find they get in the way, and they help me extract the knife from my pocket, especially when seated. I generally tie them fairly long and floppy, and if I'm anywhere I fear they might get snagged it's easy for me tuck them down into the pocket.

EiE0yhJ.jpg

1C3Pgg5.jpg

I frequently pass on knives that don't have lanyard holes on the clip side. I could never understand why a knife manufacturer would put the lanyard hole on the opposite side of the pocket clip side.
th

I pull my knives out of my pocket by their lanyards. I make small, simple lanyards (no ornaments) on all of my knives. They are similar to these, but I use less conspicuous colors, and clip the excess off the bottom.
th
Paracord-Lanyard-DIY-300x168.jpg

Last edited:
:) Yes ! I gotta have a hi-vis fob on all my carry knives . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

If there's no fob hole , I tie around the clip .

Helps to index and draw the knife . Aids in a firm grip , especially on small handles .

Helps me find the knife if dropped or misplaced . Helps on clipless knives to stabilize in pocket .

Last edited:
My traditional folders I don’t use one. When I’m on a big wall rock climbing I definitely use a fairly cheap production knife that has blade lock and a lanyard that I can clip inside my haul bag or into my harness. Dropping a knife from 2000ft on a cliff could spell disaster for somebody. Plus it’s sucks dropping shit.

On a side note, while playing with my kids at the playground yesterday my Barlow fell out of my pocket. Luckily a nice mom found it and asked if it was mine. Whew, was thankful I got it back and a kid didn’t get hurt playing with it. If any of you dads play aggressively with your little ones on the playground, maybe a lanyard would come in handy for securing it or finding it later

I must be a dinosaur, I use a lanyard/fob actually both depending on the knife. Bigger knives ,(fixed blades) and knives used in a high loss area like over water, towers, bridges anyplace where losing a knife is probable and most likely to accidentally happen.

I can assure you that of the four knives in my pocket, two have lanyards/fobs on them.

My favorite edc slipjoint, a Loveless/Lone Wolf Wharncliffe didn’t come with one but I put one on anyway because it makes gripping it so much easier.

srpisPrh.jpg

I used to put them on every knife that had a spot for one. Now I only have them on certain knives. I love the way they look, but they're just in the way on certain set-ups. Depends on the placement of the lanyard hole itself I reckon. I use three snake knots when I do them...one for me and one each for my son and daughter.

Back