Do you use a lanyard to carry your knife?

Do you use a lanyard to carry your edc knife?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
my vote is yes, because I use pocket clips it helps removing the folder from my pocket and from dropping the knife! and also because CRK's are so expensive wouldn't like it to hit the concrete :( just my 2 cents here.

If it goes around something, like my wrist or neck, to keep from dropping a knife, then I use a lanyard.

If I want a braided thing that is grasped, then I use a fob.

Not for me. Like some others, I went to the extent of removing the lanyard from my Sebenza.

my vote is yes, because I use pocket clips it helps removing the folder from my pocket and from dropping the knife! and also because CRK's are so expensive wouldn't like it to hit the concrete :( just my 2 cents here.

I dropped mine the second day I had it :eek:
I'm shocked it didn't really cause as much as a mark. I dont blame you for you wanting a lanyard on it, but never fear that your CRK can take a header and be just fine. Mines a user.

That said, I opted to make a pocket sheath for it as I didnt want to risk losing it. Still no lanyard as I prefer a tip down/spydie drop opening style.

image.jpg I like them for purchase or to orientate the knife if carrying loose in the pocket. Fob or braided lanyard. Last time I dummy corded (attached lanyard) something on myself was the military. I keep them on my crksimage.jpg

I find a lanyard (on a folder) most useful when I'm working with gloves on and crouching a lot. The crouching makes my pocket tight and the gloved hand makes it even harder to slip my fingers in. With a lanyard I just yank. Don't really ever use one besides that though.

If it goes around something, like my wrist or neck, to keep from dropping a knife, then I use a lanyard.

If I want a braided thing that is grasped, then I use a fob.

Therein lies the problem Marci, most people don’t know the difference or when to use which. There’s nothing wrong with using either if that’s your choice.

Two other uses for them is as a gear tie down, I use ‘em to strap some of my fixed blades to packs, on my tractor and even on my canoe.

I use a bright, reflective, fluorescent orange with a glow in the dark thread or paracord in the braid as a way to make it easier to find a knife lost or dropped in the woods.

Kudos to you Marci for not giving into the trends and using both, even if it makes you look like a knife kneophyte. Just kiddin’, I just wanted to pick on you a little. ;)

never fear that your CRK can take a header and be just fine.

Ain’t it the truth? I was paranoid and terrified at the same time when I got my first Sebenza. I checked my pocket obsessively for the first couple of months, (I still do). I’d do the pocket tap to make sure it was where it was supposed to be.

It was actually less obvious when I checked it because of the fob on the end I’d just tickle it as I swept my hand by and you’d never know I was an FTSO/OCD (First Time Sebenza Owner with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)

Now, nothing is more exciting than a new a Sebenza and by new I mean one I haven’t owned before.

lClQWPGh.jpg

The only other thing that is comparable is the feeling of a oft used and well cared for Sebenza.

Hvf8eLCh.jpg

What’s the word Sebenza mean? Doesn’t it mean work? To not use a Sebenza is a crime, they were meant to be used and worked.

That said, I opted to make a pocket sheath for it as I didnt want to risk losing it.

I did the same thing for both my small 21s, it was way more satisfying than buying one.

Kudos to you Marci for not giving into the trends and using both, even if it makes you look like a knife kneophyte. Just kiddin’, I just wanted to pick on you a little. ;)

Any time! And I just wanted to be pedantic! The fob/lanyard difference is a favorite of mine, and I'm not entirely sure which the op was asking about.

Honestly, I use neither, though I can understand the use of a lanyard, especially while chopping, and I know there are some specific ways of using a lanyard for that.

As far as fobs....you gotta put those beads somewhere!

No. I will often not buy a knife because of the lanyard hole. The main problem being it interferes with placing a clip there.

I do not use a FOB on my folders. I do have a lanyard on my SAK OH. I kept having problems losing my SAK when traveling in civilian clothes. Put a 1/8-inch bungie type lanyard, about 18-inches long, on my OH SAK when I got it in 2001, and still have the SAK, so it worked. I can do about 95% of my tasks with the lanyard still attached around my belt. I put a loop on the end of the lanyard, run the loop under and behind the belt, they put the SAK thru the loop. If I need to do something that requires me to take the SAK off he belt I do not have to open the belt to get it off. John

I have tried multiple times to add a fob/lanyard to my knives. They look nice. Then as soon as I go to use it or carry it, I hate the fob/lanyard with a passion.

If I were working at heights, or around bodies of water, where there was a possibility of dropping & permanently losing it, I'd certainly have my knife tethered to me somehow. However, I just cleaned & re-lubed all three of my CRKs this morning, and I removed all the fobs. The fobs/lanyards never bothered me before, but now they bother me even less.:)

Not my favorite thing. They mostly get in the way of opening or closing or using the knife, and they get dirty. If I'm on the water, though, I'll slap one on. That said, I do like that they make a knife easier to grab out of a pocket, but that's apparently less useful to me than the nuisance they otherwise present.

I use neither a lanyard (device for securing the knife to prevent dropping or loss) or a fob (device to aid in pulling it out, obtaining a full grip, or visibility aid).

At one time, with a very small knife (Boker KeyCom), I attached a small flashlight (Fenix E15) via clips. The flashlight served as a fob for the knife, and the knife's pocket clip made it double as a dangler for the flashlight. It was a very handy combo.

Personally I don't. I end up cleaning/processing game and fish with a lot of my knives and something like a paracord or leather lanyard would get soaked in blood and crud. I can definitely see the advantage of using something like bright paracord or something if you drop it.

I did use a lanyard hole a bunch when I was in the Army. I lost a Spyderco Military on a training jump out of a C130 once. Never made that mistake again.

I use a lanyard in my kayak. The knife is a combo fishing tool, on a lanyard around my neck along with a fly patch, a whistle and a tiny flashlight.

I've never used a fob on a pocketknife. But my new Skaha II, although great feeling in hand, is a little slick and hard to grab out of the pocket. I think I'll experiment with some fobs to see if it helps.

Back