Do you use your GEC knives?

I only have 3 or 4 GEC knives that I bought 5 or 6 years ago and have actually only carried and used a couple. I think the ones I haven't used are probably worth more than what I paid so are they devalued by using them and if they are why use them? I usually carry a case knife and while the quality is hit or miss, the good ones are every bit as good as the GECs at 1/3 the cost.

I personally buy the knives I like and I use the knives I buy. They are not an investment to me they are an enjoyment. Others may have a different point of view and that's fine, it's just not mine. Hopefully eventually all of my knives will be priceless when I give them to my children and one day grandchildren.

Last edited:
I only have one, an 852211 Harness Jack. Sometimes I carry it instead of a 4 blade scout/camp/G.I. Utility/"Demo" knife for the spear point blade and punch/awl, my most used blades of the 4.
It's too nice a knife to sit in the tube adding to its dust collection, or crying because it "never" gets used. :)

The knife is unsellable, since it was a gift. Hence I'm not worried about what my using it does to any "collector value" it may have. :)

I use all my knives. No "Safe Queens" (or "Shelf Royalty") here.

Last edited:
I personally but the knives I like and I use the knives I buy. They are not an investment to me they are an enjoyment. Others may have a different point of view and that's fine, it's just not mine. Hopefully eventually all of my knives will be priceless when I give them to my children and one day grandchildren.
I agree!!.
Sure some of them will go up in value and may be worth a lot unused, but you ain't exactly going to get rich, so may as well enjoy.

Yes, I carry and use my GEC knives.
I've sold a bunch of 'em, but never at a profit (new or used).

I also carry a lot of Case knives.
While some of them are very excellent, I don't believe (as a whole) they are as finely finished as my GEC knives.

Why not? It's just a knife.

Perhaps one of the most desirable GEC models. It's been used well.

49464938672_ebef967622_b.jpg

I have found that knives I don't enjoy carrying don't tend to stick around very long. I will admit some see harder use than others. Here's arguably my most valuable, and as you can see it's one I like to carry and use often. I'm not into knives with the expectation of making any money, I hope someday my kids go through my collection and it brings them some joy thinking about their nerd dad and how much he liked playing with his knives.
OUfW0PO.jpg

I'm in agreement with the others in this thread. I don't collect knives as an investment - I collect knives that I want to carry and use. Admittedly, some I use more gently than others. Occasionally, if I buy a knife that I'm on the fence about, whether or not it might hold its value could be a consideration. That's generally so that I can put the money toward another knife or to trade if I change my mind. I just like collecting and using knives.

Majority of them I've used and about half a dozen see a lot of regular use. Some I've given away, traded too. There are examples I have that I prize a bit more and decide to keep to look at in fine condition, some are duplicates, but I do feel that I have enough users so why foul up more? Also, my GEC buying hunger has massively abated, most of their recent offerings haven't stirred me and if they did I'd be unlikely to get hold of one here in Europe at a tolerable price. The other factor is that I'm much more attracted to using and buying knives in various stainless steels, I've got a big enough 'carbon footprint' in my knife stash and given GEC is basically a one steel company this too influences me.

Even with all the lurid sums allegedly made by the Flipperati, knives are a very poor investment in terms of money, but not in terms of aesthetics or utility :cool:

There are better ways to invest your money than pocket knives, but there’s nothing wrong with collecting tube queens, if that’s your thing. Personally I’m with the others, if I don’t want to carry it it moves on to a new owner, usually at a loss to me. Life is too short not to enjoy good knives.

I use a few, store a bunch, but I do enjoy displaying them or taking them out and admiring the beauty like fine art.
As an investment? No.
An emergency fund? Maybe. I could get some decent cash pretty quick with some of them I think. <shrug>

I have the same problem with flashlights... :D

I'm in the same boat. Some I buy to use, some I buy for the sheer joy of the way they look! OH

It's like a work of art. Each knife is unique. I really like the cover materials - especially a really nice looking natural cover. It's like buying a picture to put on your wall. It's not going to feed you, keep you warm, or make you any money. It's not about investing - investments are for that. It's the appreciation of the work and uniqueness in each one... and on the plus side, if you want to cut something you can do that too!

I personally buy the knives I like and I use the knives I buy. They are not an investment to me they are an enjoyment. Others may have a different point of view and that's fine, it's just not mine. Hopefully eventually all of my knives will be priceless when I give them to my children and one day grandchildren.

Same here :thumbsup: I'd like to think that when I die, my 3 daughters will treasure them, but they have no interest in knives whatsoever, and actually I think they're more likely to end up in a dumpster. I buy knives to use and enjoy, and to learn about. I don't really care what happens to them beyond that. Making money from them is of no interest to me. I hope I have the time to give them away, but if I don't, they're just knives :thumbsup:

9Nhx5Ac.jpg

My knives are 98% safe queens...... I have no one in the family that has any interest in them...... My wife thinks collecting knives is "silly"........ So if I kick the bucket before her, she can sell my "silly" knives to pay for my funeral.......

Well... I have somewhere around 14 GEC knives. I use one of them, and enjoy it quite a lot. I use Case knives more than anything else. Not that I don't want to use the GEC, but geez, there is only so much cutting I need to do. I have too many knives, so the alleged "shelf queens" are just knives that I bought with intent to use that I never got around to.

Back