Do you want to hear a good one??????

My customer that I make the whale’s teeth knives for just called me and asked me if I could make another knives ASAP just like the last one. He said that the last one that I made he sent it to a gallery in Hawaii and they had a customer that put a deposit on it and was going to pick it up the next day. But the knife was stolen before the dude came back. :eek:

IG, Do you remember how you did it? I had a simular thing occur with a tomahawk. Got left on the customers porch and someone beat him to it. Luckly it was insured. I had a heck of a time trying to reproduce it.....

where can I find whale teeth?

curious about where to find some of the other exotic stuff you guys are using as well...

Doc

where can I find whale teeth
Eskimos...they trade them for relish! :D :barf: :footinmou

peter nap said:
where can I find whale teeth
Eskimos...they trade them for relish! :D :barf: :footinmou
YEP!!! It keeps them warm over the dark cold winter, but I have received complaints that it melts their igloos. :eek: :eek:

Raymond Richard said:
IG, Do you remember how you did it? I had a similar thing occur with a tomahawk. Got left on the customers porch and someone beat him to it. Luckily it was insured. I had a heck of a time trying to reproduce it.....
I have a pic of it on my website and I am glad I did because I would be able to reproduce it.

complaints that it melts their igloos

When the Ozone layer completely dissolves because of the Killer Whale farts, it'll melt more than their igloos! :eek:

I had several picture of the tomahawk but sometimes it just doesn't help. The hawks for me are a whole different ball game than the knives.

Hey George,
I was under the impression that the interstate buying or selling of whales teeth was illegal? I'd be careful about posting that a whale tooth handled knife that you made went to Hawaii.

Here' the law-
Sperm Whale An endangered species regulated by the Marine Mammal Protection Act. Importation for commercial purposes has been prohibited since 1973. Interstate sales of registered pre-act teeth with scrimshaw is allowed under a special federal permit. Unregistered pre-act teeth can no longer be registered and cannot be transported across interstate lines for commercial purposes. They can be sold intrastate as long as state law does not prohibit. Antique scrimshaw (100 years plus) can be sold interstate

striper28 said:
Hey George,
I was under the impression that the interstate buying or selling of whales teeth was illegal? I'd be careful about posting that a whale tooth handled knife that you made went to Hawaii.

Here' the law-
Sperm Whale An endangered species regulated by the Marine Mammal Protection Act. Importation for commercial purposes has been prohibited since 1973. Interstate sales of registered pre-act teeth with scrimshaw is allowed under a special federal permit. Unregistered pre-act teeth can no longer be registered and cannot be transported across interstate lines for commercial purposes. They can be sold intrastate as long as state law does not prohibit. Antique scrimshaw (100 years plus) can be sold interstate
Chuck: All the whale's teeth knives that I make go directly to a Ivory Dealer which he has all the paperwork for and is the one sending it across state-lines. Thanks for the heads up.

Doc: You may want to check to see if you got any Ivory Dealers in your area, because they may carry then teeth.
Around here we have 3 dealers, but we were the old Whaling Capital of the World in the 1800's. If you ever read Moby Dick the ship was said to have left from this port. Because of the Whaling trade we have a ton of Portuguese descendants in this area especially from the Azores Islands, me being one. :eek:

Sorry to hear about the theft IG, but I guess it did generate some additional work. :rolleyes: I hate thieves too, and I've been subject to too many of them. The first knife I ever made was stolen off my desk when my roommate had a party one night. I still watch for it in pawn shops and at gun shows.

This shows the benefit of taking pictures of everything you make. "Documentation is everything," as my occassional collaborater Scott likes to say. But like Ray, I've had trouble recreating some stuff because the pics weren't sufficient to show certain details. And memory, at this age, sure ain't cutting it!

i hate fu%#$@* crooks! i hope he drops the knife on his Nut sack! :mad:
its a shame that peolpe stoop to that level...Bastids!

NickWheeler said:
You mean people actually pay money for your knives??? :D :p :D

-Nick-

SHHHH! Don't piss him off, Nick! At least he's making knives again. :eek: For a while all he was doing was smashing damascus. :p

IG...the only thing I have around here is a PhD collector. I don't think I can get a big enough tooth from any of them to be able to make a handle out of. Although, it would be fun to try using one of their swelled heads for a pommel on a long sword!

PhD....Piled higher and Deeper!

Doc

jhiggins said:
SHHHH! Don't piss him off, Nick! At least he's making knives again. :eek: For a while all he was doing was smashing damascus. :p
Nick and I share the same B'Days so, he can't piss me off like you. :eek: :eek: :p :D

Back