Doberman handles, really bakelite???

Walking Man

BANNED
Hello, I am wondering what kind of wear resistance you will get from Bakelite. I could hardly believe I saw that material. The reason is because, I thought that this material was not longer generally used because other materials are better. How does it compare to micarta, or Zytel or FRN, or Carbon Fiber, or whatever??!?!?!??
Please help. thanks.

Walking Man

I would agree that Bakelite has been surpassed by other new materials. The K1 Dobermann series (not the DobermannII) is not a tactical knife as I view it. This knife was one of Extrema's first knife designs.
As far as how it compares to other materials I cannot truly speak to that ...it would certainly depend on how you are going to use the knife.

Does anyone else know how bakelite (sp.?) holds up in general.
Also, is there any chance we will see these in micarta?
While I'm at it, the ergonomics look really good to me on those knives, any comments, moderator?

From a Bakelite manufacturer:

"Phenolic resin 'bakelite' is the oldest among plastics and with about a century of history from its creation, it is still enjoying wide uses by virtue of its superior heat resistance, durability and other excellent features."

Another manufacturer calls Bakelite a good heat and electrical insulator.
I think some knife manufacturers have used Bakelite for knives that might contact an electrical source.

Apparently, when manufactured as a paper laminate, similar to linen micarta, bakelite exhibits superior toughness as well as insulation qualities.

Seems pretty stable to me. Rickenbacker, the instrument manufacturer, used it for making bodies for Lapsteel guitars and other early electric instruments. They still look good today. I think this application was a bit less impact intensive than a heavy duty knife handle.

Does seem to be a bit anachronistic on such a hi tech knife.

Keith

My experience with Bakelite over the years would indicate that it does not deform or warp...it is a very stable substance.

I do want to make one thing clear...the ONLY knife that Extrema Ratio uses this type of handle is the K1 Dobermann series. This is a very limited production knife and is NOT considered a Tactical knife. It is a very cool, neat knife for what it is but can not be compared to the other knives ER produces...true heavy duty tactical knives.

Please explain more....
Are the blades thinner, or not heat treated in the same manner?
According the website, they are still heavy duty knives with 1/4" width, using identical steel, etc. It sounds pretty tough to me.......
Especially considering the price is more than you other knives.

Mr. E.R.USA, please see if you can reply to the last message, please.
BTTT................

I wish I could give you a simple answer. Yes it is the same steel, same thickness, same heat treat. I can only surmise that it costs more becaue the factory has higher cost related to this knife due to it has higher labor costs and much lower production.
It also comes with a ABS case and leather sheath/holster and shoulder rig.
Hope this helps. If not, call me toll free 866-883-9444

Moderators,
One last question, and it is something that I am really torn on.
First off, I really like the way the knife looks, and it has a great name.
2nd. I can live with Bakelite, IMO it sounds very similar to Delrin, which is pretty good stuff.
3rd...... This is my real hangup.... The guard. I hate nickel silver, it looks good, but it scratches like the devil himself made it just to aggravate us good folks, now, I know that the guard in not Nickel Silver, rather it is nickel brass. Please tell me how it holds up over time, I'd appreciate it. Also, it looks a bit frosted on your website, E.R.USA., is the guard beadblasted?
THANKS FOR EVERYTHING. I was going to call you, but I think this info would be good for everyone.

Walking Man,
The guard is indeed bead blasted (more of a matte type look.) The finish is VERY strong and should not wear except in the most severe prolonged abusive environments.

Dangit, now I have to spend more money....... :(
Uh, no, I mean, :D :D :D
Thanks for the info.........
I hope I'm not the only member who learned from the information presented.

Hello i was just about to buy the k1 doberman, but was looking for more info anyone actually have one any comments. alos do you think you could get someone to make handle out of newer material. also what is the knife made for if its not tactical hope to get some answer because i am ichin to buy one thanks

Not sure what it's "designation" is as a knife, but Tactical is just a word. If I had to put it in a catagory, I've have to say it's a utility fighter. Well-balanced with a great carry system.

As far as the handle material goes, there is no reason for a change, it's a very durable composite and I'm sure it was chosen for a reason.

If you get one, let us know what you think!

I have an issue with "old technology."
I think of much of what other people call old technology as proven technology.

I live with it all the time in my business.
I fly helicopters for a living, and really, no one has discovered or learned anything new about helicopters since 1957.
Most of the new stuff equates to a rehash of the old stuff.
I think a lot of us grey-haired (fat and bald for me) pilots prefer the old stuff because it works better than the new stuff.
Try as they might, they have not yet come up with anything better than the 1960's era Huey.

So what does this have to do with Bakelite?
ER can use any material they want for either blade material or handle material.
Obviously, cost does not enter into the equation.
Everything at ER seems driven by quality and indestructibility.
ER did not pick Bakelite jsut 'cause they didn't know what else to use and they had some laying around.
They thought about it.
They could change it easily and they haven't.
Therefore, I have a lot of confidence in Bakelite because ER has confidence in Bakelite.
In fact, I find Bakelite charming and, if I had a Doberman, the Bakelite would only add to my braggin' rights.

Do some research on Bakelite.
I did.
They still make tons of it because nothing else has come along that improves on Bakelite's good qualities.
It seems superior to conventional micarta and as good or better than G-10.
In terms of strength, I think only carbon fiber has greater rigidity and I think Bakelite still endures corrosive and hot environments better than carbon fiber, especially in an oxygen-rich or oxygen-saturated environment.

So the scientists accidentally invented the best synthetic insulator and handle material the first time around, 100 years ago.
Big deal.

Regarding Bakelite, or Phenolic Resin:

"...it was resistant to heat, moisture and chemicals. Bakelite was notably valued for its electrical insulation properties. It was tough and could be machined and would accept a heavy mechanical load. Pigments were easily added for desired coloration. Moreover, in addition to a myriad of industrial uses, Bakelite was also extensively adopted to make telecommunications equipment..."

"Superficially, it is a composition, born of fire and mystery, having the rigor and brilliance of glass, the luster of amber from the Isles. Poetically, it is a resin formed from equal parts of phenol and formaldehyde, in the presence of a base, by the application of heat It will not burn. It will not melt."

http://www.modelatrader.com/maffi/maffibakelite.html

The irony of it all:

They also call micarta and G-10 Phenolic Resin Laminates.

Back