Does a Bear Shit in the Woods?

No, he shits on the trail.

20017624_1471535732869084_6089668091678162566_o.jpg

I do wear a large bear bell on my pack. I never see them, at least not while on the trail. My son sees dozens a year in the same haunts and on the same trails when he's out without me.

The give away with bear poop is , in the right season , is seeds from things like blackberrys !

I do wear a large bear bell on my pack. I never see them, at least not while on the trail. My son sees dozens a year in the same haunts and on the same trails when he's out without me.

My wife and I were just doing a section hike on the AT in North Carolina about 6 weeks ago. Around midnight my wife frantically woke me and said, "Heavy breathing!" She was sure our tent was being attacked by a bear. I listened for a second and responded, "It's a dog." and then tried to go back to sleep. "Are you sure?", she said. I knew she wasn't going to let me sleep until I verified what I already knew. So I got out of the tent and met and pet the two labs who came into camp late with their owner. Their owner was busy setting up camp and didn't realize there were other people camping in the area.
The next day during a break, we met up with him and his dogs again. He was a local. My wife told him how the dogs had scared her half to death the previous night, thinking a bear was outside the tent. He said he'd been hiking this area for twelve years and only once saw a bear. "They know you are here long before you are aware of them and they always move off."
I saw a bear 40 yards up the trail the very next day.

Does a chicken have lips?
Does a rabbit have a sex life?
Does a cat have a climbing gear?
Am I off topic?

Made camp in Colorado Rockies awhile back for 3 weeks, woke up when mama bear started licking last nights pots, unwashed because I guess dishwasher got fired. I always slept outside the tent on the ground in summer so I could fall asleep looking at stars. I rolled over and went back to sleep, it being dawn and all. Only time I felt fear was when I could swear a big cat was watching me by a birch stand further up the mountain, I couldn't see her but the silence and my hair standing on end for no apparent reason had me on my toes

The pups treed a bear by the house last week. Daisy is my silent dog and I have only heard her bark when something large is loose in the yard ... time before this it was a moose strolling through.

Yes, like us, the animals seem to take an easy path, find the nibbles and berries growing in the sunlight along an open trail or roadside. Bear scat full of berries - sure ... if near human habitation, the odd plastic grocery bag too.

Where you all are, you ARE in the food chain.
Where I'm currently located, I might have to worry about a rapid chipmunk. :eek:

But, I envy you for having to look over your shoulder.

A neighbor scared the bejesus out of me when Iwas 4 or 6 about squirrels with rabies! I still get predawn jitters when I sense an evil polecat shrieks that he ain't going to sleep

Polar bears don't poop in the woods.
You beat me to it, also ...Bears in the zoo's dont either.
LOL My dad says "Does a Bear Shit in the Woods"? at least 2 to 3 times a day an I reply with the above answers.

Last edited:
Back