Does a Spyderco Warranty Folder come with every knife?

GatorFlash1

Gold Member
I recently looked at one of my old PM 2 Elmax Sprint knives, C81GFGP2 from BentoBoxShop.Com and noticed that it had an explanation page, which sprints normally have, but it didn't have the colored Spyderco warranty folder that comes with many knives.

Does Spyderco send a warranty folder with every knife they sell?

I have received a few Spydercos brand new with no paperwork at all. I have no explanation for this.

Just yesterday I got a Resilience with no paperwork and I know I've bought a Police from the SFO that had no papers at all.

This is what I'm seeing with many of my Sprint knives purchased from one dealer like DLK, etc. Probably for only a 300 to 600 knife production run it is not worth printing out the warranty/knife description folder that you get with a regular catalog knife. I would be curious what other Spyderco buyers say about the paperwork in the box with limited edition Spyderco knives.

I looked in the Super Gold Endura I got last and it has a regular Endura folder and a special one for that steel.

Interesting that you have two different forms of paperwork. Did they conflict with each other? Was the same steel that was used in a regular Endura also used on the Super Gold Endura?

Left is PM2 direct from spyderco 4/2019

Right is a Resilience 7/2016 Kittery Trading

GatorFlash1 GatorFlash1

View attachment 1184429

This is what I'm finding. For the limited manufacturing runs, with unusual steel, etc. for the model, they do not seem to have the standard Spyderco Product/Warranty knife folder that you get with the mass produced knife models advertised in the Spyderco product directory. Instead they have a white sheet of paper with an explanation of the special knife.

This makes sense to me because the hassle of producing a fly for a 300 knife run would be excessive.

Is this typical of all special runs for all Spyderco knives?

I wish someone from Spyderco would jump in on this topic and clarify what paperwork goes in what knife's box. Thanks.

Last edited:
Interesting that you have two different forms of paperwork. Did they conflict with each other? Was the same steel that was used in a regular Endura also used on the Super Gold Endura?
I'll take a photo later today. I get a lot of sprints so I'll put a few other boxes out.

I only bought a few new Spyderco's this year and every one came with a booklet. From watching vids I seen that cheap or wrong paperwork is a sign of a fake. Maybe these guys are removing the paperwork to make it harder to tell?

Ok I just checked 12 boxes. They all had labels and foam. There was a fair amount of variation in the Edge-U-Cation sheets and the warranty sheets and the wrapping.

For starters the SG Endura from Massdrop. An Endura warranty folder and a Super Gold sheet.

D69E0hA.jpg

After that I checked more.

Leafstrom, eBay, nothing (way back in time, might have tossed or separated)
Stretch V-Toku, dealer, bubble wrap, slica pack Stretch warranty card, V-Toku sheet
Blade HQ M4/Jade G10 PM2 dealer, PM2 sheet, dealer exclusive sheet, plastic bag
Delica Hap40 sprint, dealer, Delica sheet, Hap40 sheet, bubble wrap
R Nishin, dealer, R Edu sheet, bubble wrap
Ti Military Fluted, dealer, Ti mil Edu sheet, bubble wrap
Szabo sprint, dealer, Szabo warranty sheet, plastic bag
Perrin PPT sprint, BF exchange, bubble wrap
Spidiechef, dealer, Spidiechef warranty sheet, bubble wrap
Southard, dealer, Southard warranty sheet
Hap40 Lum Tanto, BHQ, Lum Tanto edu sheet, bubble wrap, silica pack

Why does it matter?

I believe that Spyderco will stand behind their lifetime warranty for any knife that is not altered or intentionally misused or abused, whether purchased new or used; at least there's no caveat limiting the coverage only to knives purchased new from an authorized dealer or direct from Spyderco that I've seen.

In any event, I own over 125 Spydercos and, as I recall (and I'm not going to go back and look in every box), every knife that I bought new from a dealer or direct from Spyderco came w/a warranty folder and an Edge-u-cation flyer if it was a sprint or exclusive. For Sypdercos that I've bought used, it was pretty much catch as catch can.

The reason it matters is not because of the actual Spyderco warranty but because if you are a Spyderco knife collector you want all your collectible Spyderco knives to come with the original paperwork. It affects their resale value if you ever decide to liquidate your knife collection.

The Maxamet models come with a very tiny booklet all about Maxamet. Separate from the product info/warranty booklet.

The reason it matters is not because of the actual Spyderco warranty but because if you are a Spyderco knife collector you want all your collectible Spyderco knives to come with the original paperwork. It affects their resale value if you ever decide to liquidate your knife collection.

Are you serious?

I'm a Spyderco collector (I own over 125 of them) and the only things I care about are the knife and, if it's available, the factory box; both in the best shape possible.

The only literature that I'd want would be the Edge-u-cation flyer for sprints or exclusives but I wouldn't pay EXTRA for it or the warranty manual. if the knife was one that I wanted in acceptable condition. I have paid more/less w/without a box but the literature I can do w/o.

But if you want to pay extra for some literature that you could probably get, if you asked, directly from Spyderco, go for it. LOL!!!

Damn serious! If you don't get excited about paperwork that's your prerogative. I agree with you but some other knife buyers/collectors get concerned if all the original paperwork isn't in the box with the knife. I have contacted Spyderco because one sprint I recently sold has the Edge-U-Cation flyer but not the Warranty/Knife folder and the buyer is concerned as to why he didn't get it. I don't think it ever came with a warranty/knife flyer but said I'd check with folks much smarter than I am and see what they say. From the feedback on this post I think I'm right. If a Spydie is a dealer exclusive there is a good chance that the only thing it comes with is the Edge-U-Cation sheet.

Some don't even have boxes! The Flash Batch Lil Nilakka just had the zipper bag.

That's true too. Many I own only came w/a zippered pouch w/or w/o any literature.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for the follow-up to my question. I think I now have a good handle on Spyderco paperwork in the knife box.

bnlgjHG.jpg

Back