does any one here carry an opinel?

I carry a carbone 8 quite a bit, but always in tandem with a modern knife. The opi is my food/clean knife and the modern is my everything else blade. Like everyone has said, they sharpen well, weigh little and fit in my coin pocket most of the time. Hard to beat for $10.

The number 8 opinel is a great size for everyday household use as well as camping or hiking. After taking my 8 to the Sharpmaker it became one of my best slicers, great for mobile food prep such as camping or hiking. I do not EDC mine though as I prefer a modern folder that is a little more stout.

With all the above comments, I think it safe to say you will not regret getting an Opinel.:thumbup:

But get the stainless. It sharpens and cuts like carbon steel and the carbon is a bit soft.

(worth repeating)

The variety of sizes lets you pick one that fits your hand. These are, top to bottom, #9 in carbon steel, #8 "garden" model in stainless, and a #6 carbon. I have since added a #8 in bubinga wood, which comes with a stainless blade.

tumblr_muvhfdniZi1r4zf5xo1_1280.jpg

(Note: #6 is the smallest size with a locking collar.) All of these we refinished by me by sanding the original finish off the handles, then dunking the handles into a hot Rit clothing dye solution, followed (when dry) by several thin layers of urethane varnish. All were treated identically — and the results all varied!

They do call for a little tweaking and fiddling, and if you're not keen (or tolerant) on that, then cheap or not, an Opi is probably not for you.

i was researching the internet for an inexpensive pocket knife with good carbon steel, and happened across these. what are your opinions? i am seriously contemplating the number 8

I carried one for a dozen years working as an archaeologist in the forests of Arkansas and the Southwest deserts. Sand in the locking ring sucks, so I might discourage Opinels for desert rats and beach bums. Overall, they're easy to sharpen and get razor-sharp. The steel is rather ordinary so doesn't hold that razor edge very long.
If buying used or surplus or auction, make sure you're getting a modern model that locks closed as well as open.
#9 is great for briefcase or pack carry. #8 is good for baggy pants or work pants/coveralls. #6 or #7 are slender enough for slacks or not-so-relaxed jeans. The very smallest sizes don't have locking rings. Opinels made before 1955 don't have locking rings either.

Happy shopping!

I don't carry knives with no pocket clip or 1 hnaded opening, both of which rule out ever carrying an Opinel. I own a couple, but they will never be carried. Also, the handle is fragile which is another really good reason NOT to carry one.

I have a #6 and #8; one in carbon and one in stainless. Both are great knives and take a wicked edge. Both of mine have ring locks which I use when they are either closed or open (good safety feature). Can't go wrong with an Opie.
Rich

They're dirt cheap, and very good slicers. That said, no clip, no one-handed opening, the handle feels awkward to me, and you have to manually engage the lock. I've tried carrying them, and I just can't - for my usage, modern knives are better in too many ways. That said, some people love them, and they're cheap, so you should at least give one a try.

I chose a No 8 for my first Opinel as well. Not to big nore to small and I went with Carbon steel and beech handle for that classic feel though

Opinel%20No%208%20out%20b.jpg

No 8

But I must admit that I rarely carry it. It's extremely light (46 grams) but the round handle make it feel kind of bulky in the pocket despite the low weight. And I don't like that it feels like it is going to roll in the hand when using it. I'm simply put no friend of round handles. And this one is a slipery one at that. I sometimes use it around the kitchen because it cuts well but so does my kitchen knives. And it take to much effort to open so it's a lousy package opener.

I just felt that I needed one in the collection! :)

/ J

Good knives. They now sell knives with a plastic handle as well (plus stainless steel), if you choose the classic Opinel, you might want to soak the wood in oil.

I have several from a #12 and a #12 saw down to a #4, all carbon where I could get them, latest addition a #9 carbon.

DShiflet, whoever told you that the handle was fragile was either having a laugh or doesn't know how to treat a knife. Pocket clip? There's no easier knife to add a pocket clip to, put one where it suits you.
Same with a lanyard hole? drill one where you want one, handle doesn't fit your hand - modify it to suit.

They won't be much good for working around water with a wooden handle but they make them with plastic handles now. Good steels take a very fine edge.

Carried my 6 Carbone today. They're so thin that even if/when they go dull, they still cut like lasers. One of my favorites. Also the first knife my old lady got me so it has an added sentiment.

I always carry mine next to my wallet. It can take pretty much any task i throw at it, so its dependable and i trust mine.

I
DShiflet, whoever told you that the handle was fragile was either having a laugh or doesn't know how to treat a knife. Pocket clip? There's no easier knife to add a pocket clip to, put one where it suits you.
Same with a lanyard hole? drill one where you want one, handle doesn't fit your hand - modify it to suit.

Dropped one of my Opinels once, it fell about 4 foot, and after hitting the floor a whole chunk of the bottom of the handle cracked and came right off.

And I'm sorry, but if I wanted to work with and modify wood, I'd be a carpenter. I shouldn't have to bust out a drill to make my knife worthy of being carried, and well, considering all the other knives that are carry worthy from the get go, I don't plan on doing it.

Dropped one of my Opinels once, it fell about 4 foot, and after hitting the floor a whole chunk of the bottom of the handle cracked and came right off.

And I'm sorry, but if I wanted to work with and modify wood, I'd be a carpenter. I shouldn't have to bust out a drill to make my knife worthy of being carried, and well, considering all the other knives that are carry worthy from the get go, I don't plan on doing it.

I am a joiner :) Also I like tinkering around with my knives be it fitting phosphor bronze washers to the pivot or adjust ing the tension on Axis type locks but to each his own.
I suppose that being a joiner I have an affinity with wood, you must have been very unlucky to have an Opinel break from such a slight impact - what size was it I wonder.
I occasionally carry a #9 carbone and it is good as it is for my use, I'm not liking pocket clips on my knives but do use a lanyard.
Opinels are not for everyone as you display, like any other knife some will like and others dislike, that's one of the things that make us individuals. :thumbup:

Back