Does anyone have the Benchmade 810?

It's definitely large, I prefer large knives though, I actually like the Knifeworks.com exclusive version better than the regular, for the ergonomics, I do wish it had the glass breaker still though. Both steels are great options (M390 or CPM-M4). While it is long (both handle and blade) it's not super thick or wide in pocket, so it still carries well.

It's definitely large, I prefer large knives though, I actually like the Knifeworks.com exclusive version better than the regular, for the ergonomics, I do wish it had the glass breaker still though. Both steels are great options (M390 or CPM-M4). While it is long (both handle and blade) it's not super thick or wide in pocket, so it still carries well.
Cool. I appreciate the info!

i have an 810bk & i love it. is my most carried and used knife. as michaelm said, it rides really well in your pocket for such a large folder. if possible tho, you may want to see if you can find one in a local store to try out before you buy it. some people find the scales and jimping to be too aggressive.

It's very aggressive with regards to grip. Not for anyone with tender hands! Mine is very smooth to open and locks up dead tight. I like it as a larger folder with very good self defense capabilities.
90zmdu.jpg

Carrying mine today, as a matter of fact. I have the Knifeworks exclusive 810-1401 (the blue/black one, ya know... guess there's a gray/black one now too). I really like it and if you can pick it up on one of their sales, it is quite reasonable for the massive slab of M390 you're getting out of it (axis flips like a boss!). One of my favorite steels for sure. The M4 version would be great, too, though.

As for size, I guess it depends on the person. I really like the feel of the Contego in my hands, anyway, and have carried it in shorts, jeans, uniform etc and doesn't bother me one bit. It's a great knife, in my opinion... its blade is like a giant 940!

I purchased an 810-1401 (blue/black M390) from another member here and I absolutely love it. I’ve always admired the model, but didn’t need another “tactical” knife. I am in “social work” and have others for that purpose. I lusted after the 1401 version when it came out, but only recently had the opportunity to pony up. Glad I did.

It’s big, but I am too, and therefore tend to carry bigger knives anyway, so it’s not ungainly for me. Pretty sure my 940 makes me look fat. The grip is very different (“aggressive” has been used plenty of times before) with regard to the copious texturing all over the steel frame. I wouldn’t call it jimping, as it’s raised beyond the G10 scales, as opposed to cut in, but it’s not sharp. I don’t find it at all uncomfortable, and it does make for a rock solid hold in both forward and reverse grips. It might be a bit much for prolonged use, but I ain’t carrying it for bushcraft, if you catch my drift.

My only gripe, and it’s a very, very small one, is the lack of a lanyard hole. I do love my tactical mancramé, and put lanyards on all my knives. I would love to have one on my 810 just for consistency/habit of pull from my pocket. Of all my knives, the only ones that don’t sport ‘em are this and my 940-2. I guess Osborne wasn’t a fan, and who am I to argue? It’s definitely NOT a dealbreaker for me on this great knife.

In other words, get one.

I had one. One of the nicer BM’s I have had. No complaints about the fit and finish, but the style of knife just didn’t click with me.

I had one (kw black/blue g10) and sold it. The ergo is below average. I would spend the money on a custom crooked river.

I had one (kw black/blue g10) and sold it. The ergo is below average. I would spend the money on a custom crooked river.
Or get your hands on both to see what you prefer. I rather like the grip on the 810, so opinions here are just that.

Just traded a mini-grip to a member for one, looking forward to trying it out. I am favoring larger folders these days. Presidio-II has not left my pocket in a few months.

Or get your hands on both to see what you prefer. I rather like the grip on the 810, so opinions here are just that.

I already had both and that's why I suggested the OP to consider a custom Crooked River. The gimpings on 810 are hurting the bare hand; the groove on the handle is too big for one finger but too smaller for two fingers. That's why I feel its ergo is subpar.

Took delivery from DLT of an 810 w/ the gray/ clear coating and M4 steel. It's the lowest price I have seen advertised at $164.95. I have large size hands and the size of handle feels comfortable. Love the Osbourne designed reverse tanto blade. It slices with minimal effort in the kitchen considering the .15 blade stock. If I am wrong correct me in saying the Contego is being discontinued. Great blade and heavy duty folder for sure. Good value IMHO.

Back