Does anyone have the new Black Bear Classic yet?

Would appreciate some photos, particularly of the handle contouring.

Thoughts on the new version also welcome.
Brummie Brummie . I purchased a BBC, about a week ago. To be honest, I was a little reluctant to share my experience with you because I am not at all sure my experience is typical. I'll try to be objective. The knife itself is beautiful but, mine had a few issues. I came to this site, stated my issues, and asked the membership for input. Three members responded and their help was invaluable. Rather than re-write what was in the posts, I'm going to try to direct you to the posts. I'm a new member (approxximately 1 week) so I am not exactly sure of the most efficient way to do so. I'm still working on the pictures (took time out to reply to you and I'm kinda slow with the post processing apps anyway. There is a file size limit and I have to get under that size, among other issues.) Actually, the only way I know to direct you to the posts is to tell you to look in this forum for recent post by KenHash, jlauffer, Chris_Texas, or myself, CCOtter. All of my posts are related to your question as they are the only ones I have made. If you go to the space below the avatars, click on the number that shows the number of posts for each account, it should take you to a screen that shows all of the posts of that individual. Try to scroll to the most recent posts of each and you should see the discussions. Hope this helps, apologize for being so "wordy".

Brummie Brummie . I purchased a BBC, about a week ago.
Thanks - I located your posts about the gouge in the G10. I'd hope that's just an unlucky bad one, not a general indicator of quality. Taiwan-made knives are usually pretty solid. If you do manage to post photos, I'd still be interested to see them. I'm particularly interested in how contoured the handle and finger catch are, and how comfortable it feels in hand. The stock pictures make it look like the finger catch is less contoured and perhaps sharper-edged than previous versions.

[PS - You don't need to tag someone if you're already replying to their post - they will get the notification anyway.]

Last edited:
Brummie Brummie . I purchased a BBC, about a week ago. To be honest, I was a little reluctant to share my experience with you because I am not at all sure my experience is typical. I'll try to be objective. The knife itself is beautiful but, mine had a few issues. I came to this site, stated my issues, and asked the membership for input. Three members responded and their help was invaluable. Rather than re-write what was in the posts, I'm going to try to direct you to the posts. I'm a new member (approxximately 1 week) so I am not exactly sure of the most efficient way to do so. I'm still working on the pictures (took time out to reply to you and I'm kinda slow with the post processing apps anyway. There is a file size limit and I have to get under that size, among other issues.) Actually, the only way I know to direct you to the posts is to tell you to look in this forum for recent post by KenHash, jlauffer, Chris_Texas, or myself, CCOtter. All of my posts are related to your question as they are the only ones I have made. If you go to the space below the avatars, click on the number that shows the number of posts for each account, it should take you to a screen that shows all of the posts of that individual. Try to scroll to the most recent posts of each and you should see the discussions. Hope this helps, apologize for being so "wordy".
Here is the link to your post: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...ferent-direction.1782154/page-2#post-20438922
First, go to the page that you want to link to, click in the URL bar and then choose "copy" to save the URL, then put the cursor in the spot in your post where you want to insert the link, then click the link button (looks like a couple of links in a chain) in the tabs, right click and choose paste, then finally click "insert".

Last edited:
Thanks - I located your posts about the gouge in the G10. I'd hope that's just an unlucky bad one, not a general indicator of quality. Taiwan-made knives are usually pretty solid. If you do manage to post photos, I'd still be interested to see them. I'm particularly interested in how contoured the handle and finger catch are, and how comfortable it feels in hand. The stock pictures make it look like the finger catch is less contoured and perhaps sharper-edged than previous versions.

[PS - You don't need to tag someone if you're already replying to their post - they will get the notification anyway.]
Brummie Brummie . Thank you for your input. I managed to get a few files uploaded but I still need to do more studying of the protocols because two of the pictures went to a reply I made to KenHash and three posted to my original post on Tuesday @7:49 if that is helpful.

I have been looking forward to purchasing this knife since it was announced. To date all I have seen anywhere is preorder and out of stock. It was even advertised in Cold Steel's 2020 Holiday Sale that ended when GSM took over!

Holiday Sale 2020 | BladeForums.com (post #16)
BLACK BEAR CLASSIC (SAN MAI)
Cold Steel 35AR Black Bear Classic Subhilt Fixed Blade Knife 8.25" VG-10 San Mai III Double Edge, Black G10 Handles, Secure-Ex Sheath - KnifeCenter
I don't yet know if it is permissable to mention actual businesses in post like this, so I hope I am not overstepping the rules. I purchased my copy from Smoky Mountain Knife Works a little more than a week ago.

Sorry I did not say this in my first reply. Brummie, that knife fits in the hand very well. There is no finger grooves on the handle, but that does not hinder the grip or the manipulation of the knife. With just a litle bit of practice you can even change from Saber to reverse grip efficiently The sub-hilt does not prvent that. The weight is felt in the hand, (I don't feel the blade) but it does not impede the execution of slashes or thrusts. Other than the large (to me) groove/gouge, and a slight sharpening issue, it is a beautiful, and functional design. I think it is a fitting substitute for those of us who cannot afford the original Loveless models. The last time I checked, a Lovess copy sells for more than $800.00 USD. No way I could afford that, had to pinch my pennies a while just to afford the Cold Steel product. Last thing, that small curve at the end of the hilt really help when it comes to keeping the knife firmly in your hand. Hope this is helpful.

Sorry I did not say this in my first reply. Brummie, that knife fits in the hand very well.
Yes, thanks. By "finger catch", I meant the subhilt - one of those times when you're writing something and you know it's the wrong term, but your brain won't work. The only knife I have with a subhilt is the recent Bark River Smoke Jumper, where it's very contoured and comfortable. My main concern looking at the renderings of the new BBC was that the subhilt looked a bit blocky, and I thought it might not fit the hand as well.

Sorry I did not say this in my first reply. Brummie, that knife fits in the hand very well. There is no finger grooves on the handle, but that does not hinder the grip or the manipulation of the knife. With just a litle bit of practice you can even change from Saber to reverse grip efficiently The sub-hilt does not prvent that. The weight is felt in the hand, (I don't feel the blade) but it does not impede the execution of slashes or thrusts. Other than the large (to me) groove/gouge, and a slight sharpening issue, it is a beautiful, and functional design. I think it is a fitting substitute for those of us who cannot afford the original Loveless models. The last time I checked, a Lovess copy sells for more than $800.00 USD. No way I could afford that, had to pinch my pennies a while just to afford the Cold Steel product. Last thing, that small curve at the end of the hilt really help when it comes to keeping the knife firmly in your hand. Hope this is helpful.

Good review

Yes, thanks. By "finger catch", I meant the subhilt - one of those times when you're writing something and you know it's the wrong term, but your brain won't work. The only knife I have with a subhilt is the recent Bark River Smoke Jumper, where it's very contoured and comfortable. My main concern looking at the renderings of the new BBC was that the subhilt looked a bit blocky, and I thought it might not fit the hand as well.

Brummie Brummie : I am not ignoring your reply, rather I have been trying to find the knife you spoke of. I can't find the sub-hilt version anywhere on the internet. I like sub-hilts and was anxious to see one I had not seen yet. Plenty of Smoke Jumpers, but no sub-hilted ones. Any suggestions?

Brummie Brummie : I am not ignoring your reply, rather I have been trying to find the knife you spoke of. I can't find the sub-hilt version anywhere on the internet. I like sub-hilts and was anxious to see one I had not seen yet. Plenty of Smoke Jumpers, but no sub-hilted ones. Any suggestions?

I googled "bark river smoke jumper sub-hilt" and switched to Images and found a few examples

View attachment 1545402

I googled "bark river smoke jumper sub-hilt" and switched to Images and found a few examples

View attachment 1545402
I like those sleek lines! It has the kind of looks that makes me want to research it and others like it thoroughly with a view to a possible purchase (after I recover financially from the BBC purchase!). I now see the error I was making and will go back and check out the Bark Rivers again. Thank you.

Here is the link to your post: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...ferent-direction.1782154/page-2#post-20438922
First, go to the page that you want to link to, click in the URL bar and then choose "copy" to save the URL, then put the cursor in the spot in your post where you want to insert the link, then click the link button (looks like a couple of links in a chain) in the tabs, right click and choose paste, then finally click "insert".

[PS - You don't need to tag someone if you're already replying to their post - they will get the notification anyway.][/QUOTE

Last edited:
Brummie, remember I had trouble trying to tell you how to locate the post about the BBC with a gouge? Well, deadzonepatrol was kind enough to tell me how to link to a post, and I'm trying it now to see if I understand. Hope you won't mind. The post would be here
https://bladeforums.com/threads/i-wonder-if-recent-product-moves-by-lt-was-a-start-in-different-direction.1782154/page-2#post-20438388

A few rough spots, still, but I think I'm getting the hang of it.

I have been trying out the instructions you gave above and finally had some measure of success. I could not copy and paste the link using the URL bar for some reason. I find I have to right click on the post number (#30) in this case, copy the link location then do the rest of the things you said. It seems to work.
Thanks again for your help.

Would appreciate some photos, particularly of the handle contouring.

Thoughts on the new version also welcome.
Brummie, just wanted to let you know my ordeal with GSM has ended. They sent me an acceptable replacement for the one I returned and just to be sure, I paid particular attention as to how the hilt feels in the hand. One thing I did notice is that if you manipulate the BBC for any length of time the sub-hilt can cause some discomfort from rubbing against your index finger. I figure with time, one would either get used to it or develop a little "tougher" skin to compensate. Also the G-10 seems a little slippery even while not wet. I'm definitely thinking about maybe putting a layer or two of paracord on.

I noticed something while my return and replacement was going on. I checked at least ten dealers and all of them say the BBC is out of stock. The only dealer I know that has any in stock is Smokey Mountain Knife Works where I purchased my original. Additionally, cold steel's website says they are out of stock, yet the one I received came from GSM in Irving, TX. So it makes me wonder, what is up with that? How come SMKW has them, but no one else does? Why does Cold Steel's website say they are out of stock, yet they sent me one. Have any thoughts?

This thread is mind boggling, I have been in relatively constant contact with Cold Steel and then GSM for literally YEARS and no one had any information at all about production, availability, or *with zero exaggeration* any knowledge of the knife at all. Kept track of the people I spoke with, some at least 2 rungs up the ladder from the reps that pick up the phone and they literally had no idea what a subhilt was, nevermind a specific model. I might as well have been asking about whether or not they had Dickfers or Mattadaddies in stock.

Back