Does anyone like large locking sak's?

I used and still use my victorinox alpineer a lot and find it an excellent performing knife for food prep and basically any cutting chore.it takes few seconds to touch it up to hair whittling sharpness and with that blade geometry cuts better than any tactical knife.the knife is very light and easy to carry and corkscrew is useful too.it can be tactical or SD knife too.most people carry smaller saks and I was wondering how many like larger locking models and if they use than as much as smaller saks.

To be honest, I've never had one. I've looked at them, wondered about them, but never pulled the trigger. I guess I feel that they were too big for my needs, that have been met with standard size SAK's since 1969. What I call pocket size SAK's. Tinkers, recruits, pioneers and Cadets.

If I carried one, I'd probably use a belt pouch. The one time I looked at one in a store and tried it out by dropping it in my pocket, it was just too bulky for my taste. But as they say; YMMV.

Bottom line is, it's still a member of the SAK family.

the model that I carry is just one layer,slim and very light,has just locking blade and corkscrew,and very easy to carry!I just checked out wenger-victorinox models in store,and they seem of very good quality too,and some of them have locking blades.might get one of those in future.

I have a Rangerwood that I installed a clip on and a Side Chef.
Both lockers, large, and very capable users.
And of course I've got a few other SAKs as well along with a Swisstool which made me realize recently that SAKs have crept up and taken the #1 spot brand-wise in my collection.
Sneaky little suckers.

I own several. My '03 German Army Knife gets the most use.

victorinox-one-handed-german-army-knife-01.jpg

I'm a volunteer at a church food pantry & soup kitchen. Every Thursday morning there is an 8 thousand pound delivery dumped off in the alley. I break down the pallets, using the main blade to cut shrink wrap, plastic packing straps and tape. The fresh produce, juice, canned goods, rice, dried beans and frozen meat go through a wall hatch and down a conveyor belt into the parish hall basement. I use the locking can opener/screwdriver as a pry bar for assembling the conveyor belt, which has seen 15 years of hard use and needs persuasion. I've found occasion to use all the other tools except the can opener for emergency repairs or demolition.

I have 3 of the large locking Victorinox SAKs: An older one with a sliding button-type lock that, if I remember correctly, was called The Cowboy, which had only the large blade and a Phillips screwdriver on the backside. Then I have a Trailmaster, which is a large, liner-locking version of the Hiker. Lastly, I have one of the current Soldiers. They are all good knives, but the Cowboy is the only one that's light and thin enough to carry comfortably in my pocket. If I carried either of the other two, I'd need a belt holster.

Like jackknife, the SAKs I actually carry are normal pocket-sized ones like the Pioneer, and also my Executive.

Jim

I will get one with pocket clip ,sentinel model,love how these knives cut,and how easily they sharpen up.alox models are best overall in my opinion for pocket carry

I've had the same Adventurer since 1992 or so. It and a Classic were the only knives in my backpack when I headed to Europe on a one-way ticket in 1993. It's done duty on 3 continents and still gets carried from time to time. Love it!

I generally carry a Tinker (pocket) or Deluxe Tinker (belt pouch). I have a Trekker and belt sheath that I like very much. If I was ever in the position of only being able to carry or have one knife it would be the Trekker. Just wish it had a secondary, smaller blade.

Rich

I have and sometimes carry a few of the bigger Vic lockers in button, liner and slide locks, my favorite being the standard (nail nick, not one hand) Trekker. I have fairly big hands and find the bigger handles more comfortable if I'm using it for a longer period of time like practicing some carving or something of that nature.

I prefer the liner lock type over the slide lock for a couple of reasons. First, the knife blade is closer to center, more like a small fixed blade which I like. Second, the ring attachment point isn't all the way on the right side of the knife (as you look down on the spine of the knife blade) where it sometimes rubs on the bottom of my palm, causing a major hot spot. That said, I've also carried one slide lock model quite a bit as well. I think it's called the rucksack, but I could be misremembering that.

I have carried a OH SAK in my front right pocket, on a bungie type lanyard since 2001 with no problem. John

I've got a rucksack which I do carry, and I've been considering getting an outrider, and possibly an OHT. I do like them, having the larger saw is the main advantage for me . Contrasting the farmer to the rucksack, the rucksack is about 23 grams heavier, which isn't all that much, but the added leverage and grip, I feel makes it worth while. Keep in mind that the slide-lock knives are lighter than the liner-lock equivalents, and the linerlock knives have a beefyer bottle-opener/pry so that might make a difference. Due to the oddities of local law, they are the biggest folder I can carry without other lawful excuse, so in that case they do hold a place in my rotation.

I just haven't felt the need for such a large MFK. I really love 2 layers and 91mm is probably about as big as I'd need to go for a Vic, but I can't say I'm against them they're just something I'd have to experience first hand to appreciate.
There have been other knives I've had no real interest in that I've appreciated the utility of after trying them out so who knows, I'm sure I wouldn't hate a large Vic.

The OH Trekker is my goto SAK. If they made it in Alox I'd be ecstatic.

Last edited:
I have two of them. A Hunter and a Picknicker. I've used the Hunter for years. It's skinned deer and cleaned fish. I like the larger handle for skinning and the gut hook works great. It's also a good knife for woodwork. I got the Picknicker in Mexico. It's a plain edge, not a serrated one. I used it all over Baja. It's one of my favorite knives. I keep it close. My youngest son edc is an Alpineer. He has lots of other knives, but he likes it better than his others.

OH Trekker. It's my most used SAK for outdoors, and if restricted to only one knife, would be my choice for all around carry. Dangled by paracord in my RF pocket rear (jeans), it takes up little space and is hardly felt. I can see why the Swiss army adopted it, in a slightly modified form, and the US military followed suit. The non-OH Trekker would probably be a bit more comfortable in the hand, but OHO is just too convenient to forego.

Tt6YWIqh.jpg

Honestly if I am going to carry a Vic knife this big I would rather carry a dedicated EDC knife and a mini SAK for the same ammount of weight. Alot of SAKs are just too wide because of too many layers for my taste.

The cool thing about some of these Vics is they have an actually well thought out combo edge. Serrations at the tip and plain edge by the heel of the blade. I fan't believe more companies haven' caught on to this "butter knife" style serration lay out. Personally I wouldn't use a combo edge anyway since I suck at sharpening serrations. I prefer to have dedicated serrated blades.

Honestly though there is nothing but good things to say about these locking SAKs other than upgrade the steel! We deserve something atleast 440a level?

Back