Does anyone like large locking sak's?

SAK should consider the knife nut section of their market which though small overall could be a big source of income for Victorinox.

I know that most their customers are knife "laypersons" but the fact that they haven't come out with a blade in say, s35vn, in order to take advantage of the knife enthusiast market. I am sure they would turn a profit on that.

One layer large saks are comfortable and light to carry without sheath.i just used mine in kitchen cutting meat for BBQ ,first I grabbed delica,but after couple cuts of meat for shishkebab i put it away and used alpineer sak that did the job much better.Delica had polished blade that whittled hair but it didn't cut meat as well as my alpineer finished on spyderco brown stones with toothy edge.Its really a joy how this knife performs and I've been using it extensively for past 6-7years.

I am preparing to order sentinel with serrated edge,as most stuff I cut is food and serrations should be excellent for BBQ and family gatherings where this knife will get plenty of use.

SAK should consider the knife nut section of their market which though small overall could be a big source of income for Victorinox.

I know that most their customers are knife "laypersons" but the fact that they haven't come out with a blade in say, s35vn, in order to take advantage of the knife enthusiast market. I am sure they would turn a profit on that.
Vic works within their framework to produce limited edition knives for the knut market. I don't know what steel they use, but it's certainly as good as 440A.

Victorinox has grown more informative about their materials. More than 90% are made in their Ibach facility and it sounds like they make their own steel, which they say is "100% recycled."

Material No. 1.4110 is steel for knife blades, AISI X55CrMo14: Carbon 0.48 - 0.60%, Chrome 13.0 - 15.0%, Molybdenum 0.50 - 0.80%, Vanadium ≤0 .15%

Material No. 1.4021 is steel for back springs, AISI X20Cr13: Carbon 0.16 - 0.25%, Chrome 12.0 - 14.0%

Material No. 1.4031 is steel for tools, AISI X39Cr13: Carbon 0.36 - 0.42%, Chrome 12.5 - 14.5%, Vanadium 0.1 - 0.2%

Perhaps a metallurgist among us can tell us what this means.

Information on p. 14 of Victorinox's 2017 SAK catalog, which you can download here:

https://assets.victorinox.com/media...DkzYzMzMjc2ZmFiYzI0ZjVkZjhiNDIxMzQwMmIwNDQ3ZQ

Oh, and btw the limited editions use Swedish damasteel, no clue at the hardness etc... it is a bit of a shame to use these as edc though :p

Vic works within their framework to produce limited edition knives for the knut market. I don't know what steel they use, but it's certainly as good as 440A.
Yeah, I don't either.
I've been told what they use multiple times but I never remember because I just don't care or need to know.
I know my Victorinox knife will come razor sharp, stay that way respectably, and be easy to get that way again, what else do I need to know ?

Actually if you throw 440a vs 1.4110 in the Zknives knife steel ap and compare the two then you will see that 440a should be a better steel in edge holding judging by the materials.

Yeah, I don't either.
I've been told what they use multiple times but I never remember because I just don't care or need to know.
I know my Victorinox knife will come razor sharp, stay that way respectably, and be easy to get that way again, what else do I need to know ?
I don't care much either because their knives just work for me. The interesting thing (to me) about my knife evolution is that I am moving toward simpler easier to sharpen steels than always looking at the next great super steel that is being used. Must be getting set in my ways and comfortable in my own skin.... ;) So, yeah, I'm real comfortable with 1095 in slip joints for example.

The only 440A slip joints I own are the Rough Riders.

I don't care much either because their knives just work for me. The interesting thing (to me) about my knife evolution is that I am moving toward simpler easier to sharpen steels than always looking at the next great super steel that is being used. Must be getting set in my ways and comfortable in my own skin.... ;) So, yeah, I'm real comfortable with 1095 in slip joints for example.

The only 440A slip joints I own are the Rough Riders.

Could be the result of the wisdom that comes with age and experience? ;) There often comes a time when things that seemed so important in the full flush of enthusiasm someday settling down, and you get this feeling of "what was I thinking?" In any case, welcome to maturity. :D

The only Rough Rider I own is a 2 blade slip joint gifted to me by my good friend Gary. I was very impressed by the fit and finish. I don't know how Gary got it, but he doesn't carry any knife except what he uses on a job, unusual for his occupation as an all around fixit guy who is an expert at any home, grounds, plumbing, painting, auto mechanics and you name it. He loves restoring classic cars, and I don't know a single thing he does that is not professional quality.

FWIW, a brief note on Gary, an interesting guy. He had been a career marine, a Gunny who served 2 deployments in Vietnam, almost all in combat zones, but where he never came in contact with the enemy, only to get bunged up and almost killed in a truck accident on Okinawa, effectively ending his military career. He had grown up in a family of plumbers, where he had learned his tradesman skills, and is one of most cheerful and generous people I know. He tells great stories, too. I don't carry his slip joint either, but put it away as a cherished keepsake.

Last edited:
You ought to give a couple Rough Riders in your preferred pattern a try. They are simply amazing for what you pay for them. Avoid the Frost stuff even though I would suspect they are made in the same factory as the Rough Riders. I think the difference is a bit higher QA/QC standards and (I'm told) that SMKW ships 440A to China for their Rough Riders.

Could be the result of the wisdom that comes with age and experience? ;) There often comes a time when things that seemed so important in the full flush of enthusiasm someday settling down, and you get this feeling of "what was I thinking?" In any case, welcome to maturity. :D

The only Rough Rider I own is a 2 blade slip joint gifted to me by my good friend Gary. I was very impressed by the fit and finish. I don't know how Gary got it, but he doesn't carry any knife except what he uses on a job, unusual for his occupation as an all around fixit guy who is an expert at any home, grounds, plumbing, painting, auto mechanics and you name it. He loves restoring classic cars, and I don't know a single thing he does that is not professional quality.

FWIW, a brief note on Gary, an interesting guy. He had been a career marine, a Gunny who served 2 deployments in Vietnam, almost all in combat zones, but where he never came in contact with the enemy, only to get bunged up and almost killed in a truck accident on Okinawa, effectively ending his military career. He had grown up in a family of plumbers, where he had learned his tradesman skills, and is one of most cheerful and generous people I know. He tells great stories, too. I don't carry his slip joint either, but put it away as a cherished keepsake.
rough riders are good for money ,very good quality for price,i have couple and like them,but for me victorinox is maybe no1

I only carry a larger SAK while hiking and camping. The One Hand Forester or New Soldier are my favourites. Comfortable in the hand and not too thick or heavy. The saw on these SAKs works really great for smaller sawing tasks.

One layer large saks are comfortable and light to carry without sheath.i just used mine in kitchen cutting meat for BBQ ,first I grabbed delica,but after couple cuts of meat for shishkebab i put it away and used alpineer sak that did the job much better.Delica had polished blade that whittled hair but it didn't cut meat as well as my alpineer finished on spyderco brown stones with toothy edge.Its really a joy how this knife performs and I've been using it extensively for past 6-7years.
I know this is an old thread, but hoping you are still using the Alpineer as your main blade after all these years! I somehow managed to buy a brand new one in the package the other day. Just waiting on it to arrive. Hoping I will enjoy it as much as you are. I was hesitant because of the lack of other tools on it. I don't drink wine, so not sure how much the cork screw will help. Will find something to do with it! I am excited!

Don't like 'em.

To me the whole point of a SAK is to be a convenient worry-free legal carry in order to avoid frightening the non-knife people and to avoid breaking any of the numerous knife laws that always change depending on where you are. This means sticking with small folding and non-locking blades, and that's exactly where a normal SAK shines.

Having a large locking blade defeats the purpose of a SAK, at least for me.

Back