Does anyone make custom one off parts? i.e. a custom pivot barrel?

I know this isn't a rational question and that the part will likely cost more than would be considered "logical" but I just need to know if anyone can do this work and ill pay what they need to have it done. Whether by making a new pivot or by helping bringing a stock purchased pivot to size.

The issue is I have a folder that has too large of a pivot hole. Its a bearing flipper and while It works perfectly fine if you grab the blade with the lock disengaged you feel the slightest knocking. Not nearly as bad as some folders I have had but enough that it is tickling my ocd and if there is a solution I would like to sort it as I love this knife and want it to basically be my forever folder.

If it was a knife that ran on washers I would simply ream it for a bushing and be done with it. Or maybe I could even ream out the hole for the next size up pivot but then I dont know if the bearing will slip over the new barrel or if the screws ends for the barrel will be the proper threads if I size up. Either way if someone has any idea on how to fix this I would be interested in hearing their thoughts. Maybe I am just over thinking it if the knife has no other problems with lockup or play when actually opened nor does it have closing issues. It was definitely made to have that guillotine free falling blade when you disengage the lock but I would never think a knife would have a pivot hole oversized to the point that you could physically feel it. No matter how slight.

You can use a ball-end punch and make the pivot hole smaller.
The punch should be larger than the hole by quite a bit. Punch both sides on a flat anvil. If needed, the hole can then be reamed.
Or, a new pivot can be lathe-turned.

You can use a ball-end punch and make the pivot hole smaller.
The punch should be larger than the hole by quite a bit. Punch both sides on a flat anvil. If needed, the hole can then be reamed.
Or, a new pivot can be lathe-turned.
Thanks bill. I appreciate it.

This is one of those things where if you lived in town and wanted to cruise over and show me...

setting up a tool post grinder and dusting a few thou off a hardened pivot isn't rocket science but there's just too many variables to say

You could try Tim Wright in Sedona AZ
He makes all his own hardware and has the skills required

Back